What's new

NFL Off-season 2019 (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Keep officiating crews together, plus make the better ones full-time employees. For some reason, the NFL doesn’t want to make them full time- it’s not like the league can’t afford to pay them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
What will really be interesting is how the league will handle the Hale Mary plays at the end of the game. This situation could get ugly- nothing is called on those plays, but with the new rules, a cheap penalty could be called on the defensive team by the booth that the refs generally let go, so the losing team could get the ball at the 1 when they don’t deserve to. Talking heads on ESPN brought this point up.

The Hail Mary is a variation of the scenario I outlined above of the 50 yard penalty being awarded on a marginal PI. I have thought for a long time that the NFL's penalty for defensive pass interference is too severe. The NCAA has it right -- it's a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down (or a spot foul if it occurs less than 15 yards downfield). It makes no sense that in the NFL if a defensive back is beaten and grabs the receiver before the ball is in the air it's only a 5 yard penalty (and first down), yet once the ball is in the air it can be a 50 yard or more swing in field position.

If the league is going to put pass interference under the scrutiny of replay review, then they really need to move towards the college rules for a PI penalty.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I think the reason why the NFL gives spot foul penalty on defensive PI is a defensive player would intentionally take the WR out to save yardage or save a TD.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think the reason why the NFL gives spot foul penalty on defensive PI is a defensive player would intentionally take the WR out to save yardage or save a TD.
They could do that in college now, but it doesn't happen. Or not enough to warrant any changes, apparently.

If it becomes a problem, they could also issue an unsportsmanlike penalty on the defender. Two of those, and he's ejected.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That happens now if the DB back is beaten on a pattern and grabs the receiver before the ball is in the air — and it’s only a 5 yard penalty. As Malcolm said, it hasn’t been a problem in the college game.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Jets are getting new uniforms for 2019.

jets2019.png

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Ewwww- I don’t like that look. They should just stick to their old ones.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Keep officiating crews together, plus make the better ones full-time employees. For some reason, the NFL doesn’t want to make them full time- it’s not like the league can’t afford to pay them.
With an average salary of 200k, they should at least during the season, be full time employees.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The draft starts two weeks from today, but that weekend I have four showings of "Endgame" so my attention to this year's draft will be less than prior years.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, interesting rumor of the moment is that Russell Wilson would like to be a New York Giant. Wilson has apparently given the Seahawks a deadline of today to give him a lucrative long term contract or he will insist on only playing for them going forward under the Franchise tag which will rapidly escalate his salary if they keep him particularly in the third year as he would make over $51 million if they do this. This plan is all based upon what went down with Kirk Cousins and is Wilson's plan to make himself a lot of money. Being that he is thought to be a better QB than Cousins if he can make it into some sort of free agency situation he will break the bank.

The Giant rumor claims that Wilson will play for the Giants for less than he would require to play for the Seahawks. So, the Giants are supposedly his preferred landing spot. Supposedly the Seahawks believe this and are weighing their options on trading Wilson...which is going to be odd since Wilson has been such a huge part of that team.

I don't know how or where the Giants exactly stand in this situation. There are claims that the Giants did inquire about a trade for Wilson but if this is the case why trade away Beckham? If you had any sort of plan to bring in Russell Wilson then having your franchise QB, your franchise RB, and Beckham as a franchise WR made complete sense...since Beckham was under contract. A trade for Wilson would have made the Giants instant contenders in the NFC and potentially a favorite in their division.

So, something does not smell right about this...

Wilson's agent has been in Seattle for the past 3 or 4 days in talks with the Seahawks. The twist is obviously that Wilson wants a huge long term deal by today or he wants the Franchise tag and won't budge on that.

The only way I see the Seahawks letting Wilson go is if they decide they are in a rebuilding process and don't think they will contend for the next few years. Not sure they have sunk that far at this stage so, I think Wilson stays a Seahawk.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
How many years are left on Wilson’s current contract?

I believe 2019 is his last year and then he is a free agent, hence they would need to Franchise tag him in order to keep him.

This works a couple ways though. This also means if the Seahawks wanted to trade him now would be the perfect time. Not sure why the Seahawks are openly saying they believe he wants to play elsewhere as saying that does not work in their favor. Wilson himself, at least to the media, has said nothing it seems. It does appear he has told other players he would like to leave Seattle though. However, that could be a bargaining tactic.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If baseball can afford professional umpires for a zillion more games then played in football, then the NFL can afford it too. They’re just too cheap.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I believe 2019 is his last year and then he is a free agent, hence they would need to Franchise tag him in order to keep him.

This works a couple ways though. This also means if the Seahawks wanted to trade him now would be the perfect time. Not sure why the Seahawks are openly saying they believe he wants to play elsewhere as saying that does not work in their favor. Wilson himself, at least to the media, has said nothing it seems. It does appear he has told other players he would like to leave Seattle though. However, that could be a bargaining tactic.
Apparently, they struck a deal late last night so it was all bargaining tactics from both sides. Looks like 4/140M with 65M guaranteed. He'll make 17M this upcoming 2019 season then that new 4 year extension kicks in.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The draft starts two weeks from today, but that weekend I have four showings of "Endgame" so my attention to this year's draft will be less than prior years.
I stopped watching the draft coverage when the league stretched it to three days. There is way too much “talking head” time compare to the old Saturday / Sunday draft — I find the current format unwatchable. I just check online the next morning to see the selections for each round.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Apparently, they struck a deal late last night so it was all bargaining tactics from both sides. Looks like 4/140M with 65M guaranteed. He'll make 17M this upcoming 2019 season then that new 4 year extension kicks in.
Further details came out about Wilson's contract and he has much more than 65M guaranteed. It's actually 107M of such money while receiving a 65M signing bonus. Wow!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Further details came out about Wilson's contract and he has much more than 65M guaranteed. It's actually 107M of such money while receiving a 65M signing bonus. Wow!

Basically, that makes sense because had he got the Franchise tag his 2020 salary would have been $32 million, 2021 $36 million, and then if he got franchised again in 2022 a whopping $52 million for the season. So, my bet would be his agent got to start negotiations at $140 million with questions about how much would be guaranteed. So, Wilson did get what he was looking for. His agent, of course, claims Wilson gave the Seahawks a discount on that contract. Only an agent could make a claim that a contract like that was done at a discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.