What's new

NFL Off-season 2019 (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I stopped watching the draft coverage when the league stretched it to three days. There is way too much “talking head” time compare to the old Saturday / Sunday draft — I find the current format unwatchable. I just check online the next morning to see the selections for each round.

I don't think a draft in any sport needs to be televised but the NFL obviously sees the promotional potential of doing so and it acts as a full on advertising campaign for the upcoming season.

They have even managed to turn free agency into an event. When you have big name players changing teams it is exciting for fans. Look at Cleveland now, they have gone from joke to now people are picking them to be the AFC representative in the Super Bowl. Hell, even I am excited about seeing them play this season...however, I think people should pump the brakes on them being Super Bowl contenders. I believe I already see problems brewing with Freddie Kitchens being able to deal with the kind of mega egos he will have to corral week to week. If they start winning right off the bat...could be smooth sailing into the playoffs. If they are up and down, lose games for a streak, Beckham comes unhinged about not catching enough balls, well...it could get really ugly there. Plus it seems a huge mistake has been made right away, Beckham seems to have already been crowned the leader of this team and he is going to act as such. Having a highly temperamental WR as your team leader seems a really poor place to be.

The other thing about the draft is since everybody loves QBs they now want as many QBs to be drafted in Round 1 as possible. In this draft I think the only QB that, in the past, would have been selected in Round 1 is Haskins. The rest of this QB draft class are not 1st round talents. As many as 5 QBs could be drafted in Round 1 though...that's great for any team that does not need a QB.

I'm not even that high on Haskins. Basically, though if a team needed a QB and wanted one in Round 1 that's the only guy I think is worth a first round pick. The rest of these guys look like major projects with huge bust potential or guys that generally look like potential career back-ups.

So, once again the intrigue in the first round will be who gets a QB and how many are taken. Plus if the Cardinals really do draft Murray with the first pick then Josh Rosen becomes the other QB that should change teams during this draft.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, since the QB thing in the draft will be a big thing again this season, here are the teams that might be drafting QBs...

First up, teams looking at QBs that really don't need to draft one:

Raiders - Being that Gruden can't help himself he is, of course, looking at QBs. Drew Lock appears to be the guy he loves. The rumor here is that Gruden really wants to draft DT Quinnen Williams with the fourth pick. If Lock then fell to the 24th pick Gruden would really consider picking him there. However, there are other far better directions Gruden could go in rather than drafting a project QB. The wild card here is this, supposedly the Cardinals will not draft Kyler Murray with the first pick and may actually have been conning everybody to see if they could trade out of the one spot. The guy that they may actually draft if they stay in the first pick is Quinnen Williams...this may cause Gruden to lose his mind and draft a QB at 4...however, there is a lot of good defensive talent at the top of this draft and we know Gruden loves his grinders.

Packers - Apparently the Packers are seriously looking for Aaron Rodgers replacement. Rodgers is 35 this season and recently it has come out what an a-hole he is, basically undermining his head coach and changing routes he wanted his receivers to run in the huddle while threatening them that he would no longer throw to them if they did not do what he said. Green Bay is familiar with prima donna QBs and my guess is they would replace Rodgers as they replaced Favre. Interestingly, Rodgers did not get the head coach replacement he wanted and the Packers appear to be about to throw a new offense at him. The Packers seem to love Drew Lock as well. They may spend their 12th pick on him or risk him falling to them at 30. If they really like Lock as much as it seems...well...it won't be a shock if they grab him at 12. Lock is a project QB and Green Bay would be a perfect landing spot for him where he could sit 2 or three years behind Rodgers. Rodgers would hate this pick though and would be furious if they take Lock. Rodgers wants players to help him make a Super Bowl run...not a back-up QB that may replace him. Oh, the drama.

Cardinals - The Cardinals drafted their QB of the future just last year. He was forced to step in and play on an awful team that was coming apart at the seams. Now the Cardinals have been promoting the idea they will reboot and draft a new QB of the future in this draft. This pretty much seems to be the kind of thing that shows a really poorly run organization. Basically, I think all the teams behind Arizona are really hoping the Cardinals do draft Murray. As that seems like a giant mistake they could all benefit from. The thing that seems to be working against the Cardinals trading Rosen is the teams they thought would be most interested in him don't want to give up more than a third round pick to get him. That basically would be giving away the guy they thought was a QB of the future for nothing. Why not let their new head coach and supposed QB guru work with Rosen who appears a more NFL ready QB than Kyler Murray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't think a draft in any sport needs to be televised but the NFL obviously sees the promotional potential of doing so and it acts as a full on advertising campaign for the upcoming season.
I'm pretty sure the combined TV ratings says otherwise.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm pretty sure the combined TV ratings says otherwise.

I don't know what the draft gets for a ratings share on ESPN (their ratings overall have fallen off a cliff the last few years from what I have heard) or on NFL Network, I don't know how many homes that is in anyway. I would guess it is nowhere near the ratings for a game, even a bad one, so who knows. It does seem most people would not watch it and just look at who was drafted the following day.

It is basically just an extended commercial for the coming season.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know what the draft gets for a ratings share on ESPN (their ratings overall have fallen off a cliff the last few years from what I have heard) or on NFL Network, I don't know how many homes that is in anyway. I would guess it is nowhere near the ratings for a game, even a bad one, so who knows. It does seem most people would not watch it and just look at who was drafted the following day.

It is basically just an extended commercial for the coming season.
I thought I read the combined ratings are doing pretty well since they're more than one network covering the draft. I know it's going to be on ABC this year with coverage on other networks too.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I used to watch the first round of the draft when it started at Noon on a Saturday. Then it started at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and I still watched. When they moved it to prime time, I stopped watching- too inconvenient for my work schedule. I just check the internet the morning after the 1st round now.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Next up teams that have a QB in place but could still benefit from drafting a QB:

Bengals - They have the Red Rifle but the truth is this situation has grown really stale and Dalton looks to be just an average QB. Sure, he plays well at times and he's not horrible but he is also never going to be more than an average NFL starter. They finally parted ways with Marvin Lewis. If Dwayne Haskins is sitting there when the Bengals pick at 11 this is the perfect spot for him.

Broncos - Yes, the Broncos added Joe Flacco and he is their starter in 2019 but who are they kidding...Flacco is a bridge QB and a health concern. They still need a QB of the future. The thing Flacco does though is allow Elway not to draft a QB in the first round. I think Elway probably is not too high on any of this year's prospects and knows 2020 will be a much better draft for QBs. The Broncos hold the tenth pick and there will be a QB on the board there but my money is on Elway passing on QB here. I think he knows he can draft a QB prospect in later rounds in this draft that will likely have as much potential as any of the QBs that might go in Round 1 this year.

Jaguars - I know, they just spent big money on Nick Foles. That was not "bridge" QB money but as far as I am concerned what they got for their money was a bridge QB. The Jags still could use a young QB to learn behind Foles. Like the Broncos though, they don't need to take him in Round 1.

Patriots - I see the Patriots drafting a QB somewhere in this draft. Could it be in Round 1, sure, they draft at the bottom and if one falls to them I could see that happening. They traded away both of their young prospects to the 49ers and Colts and now they have nothing behind Tom Brady. Not a good place to be when your QB in his 40s. So, I will be stunned if the Patriots don't use one of their picks somewhere in this draft on a QB. He's not likely to be the guy to replace Brady but he is likely to be a solid back-up and will get to learn from Brady...which may also make him good trade bait later. People seem to like trading for young Patriots QBs.

Chargers - The Chargers, like the Patriots, have an aging veteran in place who is certainly their starter this season. They are also set with a back-up to him. What they need is some young talent to groom. So, this does not need to come in Round 1 and sitting at 28 with a pretty talent loaded team, they should draft a "win now" kind of player. So, maybe a QB is picked in a later round or it is said that if the Cardinals draft Murray the Chargers would make an offer on Rosen. They may be willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him, which could end up being the high offer on Rosen.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Bengals should be looking for their QB of the future- yes, Reggie- Dalton is nothing more than an average QB who will never take a team to the championship. I think Dalton has 2 more years left on his contract, so he’ll be the starter for this year.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Finally we come to the teams that are an absolute disaster at the QB position. These teams certainly could reach for a QB in this draft and justify doing so because they absolutely stink at the position.

Giants - These guys should have drafted a QB last season. They should get heavily involved in the Josh Rosen sweepstakes if he becomes available but the claim there is they are only willing to offer a 3rd round pick for him maximum and the Cardinals appear unwilling to trade him for that. Now they supposedly are absolutely head over heals in love with Daniel Jones but they don't want to take him with pick number 6 in Round 1 they want to wait and take him at pick 17, which they also hold. The problem is that Miami has been at least pretending to be really in love with Jones as well and are making noise that they could take him at pick 13. So, they are obviously trying to force the Giants hand and get them to spend either their 6th pick on Jones or move up from 17 to get in front of the Dolphins to get him. All signs point to the Dolphins really being more interested in Haskins or Drew Lock than Jones but they really seem to want the Giants to think they want Jones more. Throw in that the Redskins are pretending to want to trade up for Jones, this has to be smoke, and we'll find out when Gettleman picks at 6 how much he really loves Jones. To me Gettleman is the kind of guy that will call the bluff of the Redskins and Dolphins and will sit tight to see if Jones falls to 17. Jones really should not go in the first round so, I doubt anybody picks him before the Giants get their shot. However, new rule in the NFL is if you like a QB draft him the first chance you get even if it is a reach. The wildcard here is what if the Cardinals don't take Murray with the first pick? Would Gettleman go after Murray? A Murray/Barkley pairing could be interesting. As a late development the Giants seem to now be pretending to be more interested in Lock than Jones. Not sure I buy this as their interest in Jones seems to run pretty deep.

Dolphins - Well, the Dolphins are an absolute ZERO at QB. So, really anything they do will be an instant improvement. They are as noted pretending heavy interest in Jones but the money is on them being more interested in Lock or Haskins. I think a lot of people believe that Haskins will be off the board no later than 11, where the Bengals seem like a really good possibility as his landing spot...unless somebody wants to trade up. My feeling is this, there is not a single QB in this draft worth trading up for because all of them have massive bust potential. I think what the Dolphins really want is for Murray, Jones, and Haskins to end up picked in the top 11 and Lock falls into their lap. We'll see. The wildcard with Lock is that people seem to feel that Gruden has Lock fever and will figure out a way to get him. Some think he will even trade up to the number 2 pick to do so. That would be insane but Gruden is not the most rational guy. I think the thing to keep in mind about the Dolphins is they will probably stink this season which means they should be at the top of the draft next season in a position to draft a really good QB prospect. Still would not hurt to grab one this season too even if you don't do it in round one. They could also trade for Rosen if the Cardinals take Murray.

to be continued...

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Dolphins- didn’t they sign Stinky Fitzpatrick recently? They won’t be worth watching, until a freshly drafted QB gets on the field. At least the Dolphins had enough sense to let Tannehill go- he’s at best an average QB.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm a bit surprised ABC is having coverage in prime time on Thursday. Plus, if it's just fluff pieces with Robin Roberts, I'm not sure how many would be that interested (I know I'm not). I'd think most football fans would be watching ESPN.

ABC host Robin Roberts has said that her broadcast will focus on storytelling and letting fans get to know these young players as people, while ESPN will continue its longstanding show with Mel Kiper and others letting fans get to know them as football players.

The other networks are also showing new episodes of some big shows, including The Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon, and season/series finales for Gotham, Supernatural, and The Orville.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The Dolphins- didn’t they sign Stinky Fitzpatrick recently? They won’t be worth watching, until a freshly drafted QB gets on the field. At least the Dolphins had enough sense to let Tannehill go- he’s at best an average QB.

Yes, the Dolphins have Fitz penciled in as their starter. He sort of stinks but the rumor now is the Dolphins don't like any of this year's QB's and are going to draft a defensive player in round 1. Supposedly they are really interested in getting their QB in the 2020 draft, so playing Fitzstinko may help them lose a lot of games.

Fitz.jpg

Also rumored that the Giants may hold off on a QB in this draft as well because they like the QBs coming out in 2020 and 2021...both are supposed to be far better QB drafts than this year.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Redskins - Well, we all know what happened to Alex Smith and it is a question if he will play football again. So, at the moment the Redskins enter the 2019 season with Case Keenum at QB. That's pretty bad. They certainly are a team that should want to draft a QB the issue is they don't pick until 15 in round 1 so at that spot they will probably have their choice of whatever is left over. Now, these guys have also claimed to be interested in Jones, the guy the Giants supposedly love, and are making noise about trading up to get him. This is probably nonsense to screw with the Giants. If they really want Jones they should be able to stay at 15 and take him. He does not have a first round arm and so I doubt anybody takes him before that. Other than drafting a QB the Redskins are one of the teams waiting to see if the Cardinals are going to draft Murray and trade Josh Rosen. My feeling is until the Cardinals actually draft Murray, Rosen is not available so I think teams are low balling the Cards on Rosen because they think the Cardinals are just blowing smoke...and since the Cardinals have been heavily trying to trade out of the first pick and everybody knows it...well...why would they do that if they really want Murray? Oh, the games that get played leading up to the draft.

Buccaneers - Yes, the Buccs have Winston and Bruce Arians claims to like him but remember, Winston was actually beat out for the job by Fitzpatrick last season for a while. Winston just has never come together as a player. The Buccs should draft a QB just to challenge him. The thing is Tampa has the 5 pick in the first round and I think with so much defensive talent on the board at 5 they won't waste a pick on a project QB there. Maybe they draft a QB later in the draft or Arians is also hoping for a down year for a shot at a QB in next year's draft.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Just hearing that the Raiders are planning a "surprise" at the top of the draft sounds nerve-racking.

Why?

What kind of surprise?

This makes it sound like you are going to do something idiotic.

This is simple, you pick 4th, this draft is loaded with really good defensive talent at the top of the draft. You need defense in a huge way. You traded away Mack...just draft a defensive player, it's not rocket science and you don't need a "surprise." There are plenty of really great defensive prospects there and one of them will be yours and immediately help your team.

Saying you are going to surprise people sounds stupid...like you are going to draft Jon Kitna at 4 and try to get him to make a comeback. Stop that, Gruden.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Could be the surprise is one of the QBs. If they do that, then Carr will be a Thursday night trade
(I’m not convinced that he’s the Raiders long-
term QB because of Gruden’s trading everybody last year in order to blow it up, and start from scratch).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have zero faith in Gruden until he proves me wrong by building a winning team. Matter of fact, I have zero faith in my other team's direction, the Giants. The NFL is practically dead to me as both the teams I've rooted for since the mid-60's appear to badly run football organizations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.