What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I just wish we had the option of buying a 4K disc with 1:78:1 all the way through (first preference) or with 2:20:1 all the way through. The toggling between the two ratios feels diminutive to this great cinematic achievement.

1.78:1 the whole way would seem like the lesser choice since it'd require cropping of a high percentage of the movie.

2.20:1 the whole way makes more sense since that's the way it actually ran on many screens.

Reactions: MBH

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What streaming service is getting it? I thought I would go to the theatre to see it, but I just didn't care enough to sit in a broken-ass theatre for 3 hours. It didn't help that all of that Barbenheimer hype crap turned me off of both films.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
What streaming service is getting it? I thought I would go to the theatre to see it, but I just didn't care enough to sit in a broken-ass theatre for 3 hours. It didn't help that all of that Barbenheimer hype crap turned me off of both films.
it's avail or will be avail on youtube, apple, amazon for $19.99. its universal so it will stream for free "one day" on Peacock perhaps.
good luck. https://variety.com/2023/film/news/...ppenheimer-blu-ray-evil-streamers-1235790376/

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just wish we had the option of buying a 4K disc with 1:78:1 all the way through (first preference) or with 2:20:1 all the way through. The toggling between the two ratios feels diminutive to this great cinematic achievement.

I've never been a fan of it. If you ever go front projection with a scope screen, you can potentially mask it to 2.20.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
1.78:1 the whole way would seem like the lesser choice since it'd require cropping of a high percentage of the movie.

2.20:1 the whole way makes more sense since that's the way it actually ran on many screens.
The streaming version is 2.20:1
Very disappointing because my 4K disc has not arrived. I’d rather see it in the varying aspect ratio which is what Nolan prefers.

MBH

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Hogan

I agree we should want to replicate the theatrical choice, so I’d be thrilled to own a 4k disc in 2:20:1. Unrelated to this particular film I have a personal preference for 1:85 but I think there’s an interesting scientific reason for why the ratio is pleasing for many to behold no matter how large of a screen you view it on. The position of our eyes on either side of the nose create a natural viewing penumbra with a ratio of around 1:87, so at around 1:85 ratio with a large enough screen we could potentially utilize our entire visual capability.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
But, as we now know, that bombing was not depicted AT ALL, and instead we had to settle for a brief depiction of the testing of the bomb at Los Alamos. The bulk of the movie consists of small and medium-size groups of people talking together in rooms or occasionally out of doors -- not the kind of scenes that benefit significantly from large format photography.
I read a small article where Nolan addresses this criticism. The film is told specifically from Oppenheimer's point of view (aside from B/W footage), therefore he would not have seen the actual visual destruction of the weapon he fathered. But there are scenes later in the film that visually show that he is fully aware of the cost to human life that he was responsible for (the maimed and burnt bodies specifically).

Agree with that decision or not, but it was a conscious and artistic decision he made to tell his story. Personally, I don't feel the exclusion of seeing the physical destruction is a detriment to the film.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I read a small article where Nolan addresses this criticism. The film is told specifically from Oppenheimer's point of view (aside from B/W footage), therefore he would not have seen the actual visual destruction of the weapon he fathered. But there are scenes later in the film that visually show that he is fully aware of the cost to human life that he was responsible for (the maimed and burnt bodies specifically).

Agree with that decision or not, but it was a conscious and artistic decision he made to tell his story. Personally, I don't feel the exclusion of seeing the physical destruction is a detriment to the film.
An epic quality is not just vast or big but emotional. There are epic emotions on display on Murphy's and the other actor's faces and that's what is epic about Oppenheimer. Nolan is focusing literally on that with his Imax camera. Murphy's eyes are the constant in this film. Nolan puts incredible attention on his gaze, and how his giant intense blue eyes are photographed. It's incredible. The notion that people talking in a room is not worthy of IMAX attention is folly. It may not be what you expected but that doesnt make it less worthy for IMAX. I think Nolan was really influenced by Dreyer's Passion of Joan of Arc in his concentrating on the actors faces.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich

Although Crawdaddy laughed at my comment in the press release thread, I ordered the DVD (horrors!) because I wanted the same 2.20:1 presentation I saw in 70mm in the theaters. Again, I have a constant image height CinemaScope screen, and I find varying aspect ratios to be annoying.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Although Crawdaddy laughed at my comment in the press release thread, I ordered the DVD (horrors!) because I wanted the same 2.20:1 presentation I saw in 70mm in the theaters. Again, I have a constant image height CinemaScope screen, and I find varying aspect ratios to be annoying.
I'm sorry about that and have removed that laughing emoji.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
If you have a constant height screen, wouldn't you get the same result with the 4K or blu-ray by just cropping out the IMAX portions?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If I wanted the constant height version I’d probably opt to purchase the 4K streaming version rather than the standard definition DVD but ultimately that’s why it’s nice we have choices :)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
If you have a constant height screen, wouldn't you get the same result with the 4K or blu-ray by just cropping out the IMAX portions?

That would only be the case if the 2.20:1 theatrical version is known to be a direct center extraction from the IMAX footage. Given Nolan's past history, that isn't typically the case. He adjusts the framing shot-by-shot to get what he considers the best composition for both formats. Some shots may be direct center, but others may be taken from above or below center.

Other filmmakers may do it differently. Just about every Marvel movie that has an alternate IMAX VAR presentation takes the standard 2.40:1 theatrical version 100% from direct center of the frame.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Unrelated to this particular film I have a personal preference for 1:85 but I think there’s an interesting scientific reason for why the ratio is pleasing for many to behold no matter how large of a screen you view it on. The position of our eyes on either side of the nose create a natural viewing penumbra with a ratio of around 1:87, so at around 1:85 ratio with a large enough screen we could potentially utilize our entire visual capability.
My personal preference for 1.85 began when multiplexes converted to fixed-width screens, so the once-upon-a-time thrill of seeing the screen open up wide for Cinemascope changed to the screen being unceremoniously masked by black bars at the top and bottom, finally replicating the home viewing "letterbox" experience in the theater.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
As pointed out in post #75, there would be no guarantee that the framing would match Nolan's intentions, and quite likely wouldn't. Arbitrary cropping of images has been a sore spot for me since the one-screen-size-fits-all theatrical screens of the 1970s.

If I wanted the constant height version I’d probably opt to purchase the 4K streaming version rather than the standard definition DVD but ultimately that’s why it’s nice we have choices :)
That was an option I considered, but I have never purchased a film that way, and am not yet ready to take that plunge. (Although my shelving is reaching capacity)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That was an option I considered, but I have never purchased a film that way, and am not yet ready to take that plunge. (Although my shelving is reaching capacity)
Why are you not ready? It looks and sounds terrific in 4K on iTunes. I just sampled a bit of it. And it will most likely go on sale for $9.99 before Christmas. Go for it!🤪

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Or, best of both worlds, get the 4K disc, which includes a digital copy, and then you’ll have both the IMAX shifting ratio version on disc and the 70mm constant ratio version on streaming, for the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks