What's new
Real Name
steven alejandro
I was lucky enough to catch this in 70MM / 15 perf Imax. Was blown away by the plot, acting, direction, editing, cinematography, image and on and on. Equally blown away by the home presentation on my 90" screen projected through an Epson 3800, with audio pumped through my Onkyo 6100 and viewed at a 9 ft distance. Time flew by just as fast at home as in the theater. Multiple viewings of this Film are mandatory. Sad to say, tho, the slip cover goes into the recycle bin like all the others before it...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I was lucky enough to catch this in 70MM / 15 perf Imax. Was blown away by the plot, acting, direction, editing, cinematography, image and on and on. Equally blown away by the home presentation on my 90" screen projected through an Epson 3800, with audio pumped through my Onkyo 6100 and viewed at a 9 ft distance. Time flew by just as fast at home as in the theater. Multiple viewings of this Film are mandatory. Sad to say, tho, the slip cover goes into the recycle bin like all the others before it...

I wish I would have seen this at IMAX but my guess, it would have been too loud for my ears (and I do have Tinnitus) and requiring ear plugs. However, watching the UHD at 2.20 on my 117.4" scope screen at home wasn't the worst either.

I plan on watching this again soon!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I wish I would have seen this at IMAX but my guess, it would have been too loud for my ears (and I do have Tinnitus) and requiring ear plugs. However, watching the UHD at 2.20 on my 117.4" scope screen at home wasn't the worst either.

I plan on watching this again soon!
It wasn't as loud as Dune, which was downright painful at times in IMAX.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
After watching Oppenheimer this past weekend I had been doing more reading on the subject and found some interesting YouTube videos. One video was from a guy whose hobby it seems is to make videos of his interest in radiation. He actually went to the Trinity site a few times.

But what I found interesting to the members here is this guy is a projectionist who runs 70mm films. He made 2 videos on setting up and running Oppenheimer in 70mm. A second video was made to answer questions and gets more technical. It’s quite interesting to see.

This might be of interest to more members, but as it’s about Oppenheimer, I thought I’d post it here.

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
Watching this film in 4K on a 77" LG G3 OLED panel literally, and no pun intended, blew me away. It is STUNNING, as is the film itself.
I'm flabbergasted that so many people love this film. A very few powerful scenes aside (e.g., the ones with Einstein), I found it incredibly boring and pretentious, and I couldn't wait for it to end. Also, I think it's weird that the director made such a big deal about shooting in large format and insisting that this motion picture should be seen that way. I assumed all the emphasis on large format meant we were going to see some really epic, sweeping camera work with an elaborate recreation of the bombing of Hiroshima. But, as we now know, that bombing was not depicted AT ALL, and instead we had to settle for a brief depiction of the testing of the bomb at Los Alamos. The bulk of the movie consists of small and medium-size groups of people talking together in rooms or occasionally out of doors -- not the kind of scenes that benefit significantly from large format photography. I wonder if anyone other than the director feels this thing really needed to be shot in IMAX?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I'm flabbergasted that so many people love this film. A very few powerful scenes aside (e.g., the ones with Einstein), I found it incredibly boring and pretentious, and I couldn't wait for it to end. Also, I think it's weird that the director made such a big deal about shooting in large format and insisting that this motion picture should be seen that way. I assumed all the emphasis on large format meant we were going to see some really epic, sweeping camera work with an elaborate recreation of the bombing of Hiroshima. But, as we now know, that bombing was not depicted AT ALL, and instead we had to settle for a brief depiction of the testing of the bomb at Los Alamos. The bulk of the movie consists of small and medium-size groups of people talking together in rooms or occasionally out of doors -- not the kind of scenes that benefit significantly from large format photography. I wonder if anyone other than the director feels this thing really needed to be shot in IMAX?
Yes.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Saw it on large 70mm Imax screen and just watched it the other night in 4K. It is truly a spectacular film that will only get better and more appreciated with each viewing. We are seeing master filmmaking here and a continued pushing of the boundaries of cinematic storytelling.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder if anyone other than the director feels this thing really needed to be shot in IMAX?
Like any group of people some will say yes and some will say no. This film sounds like a talking head film so, to me, no. The studio agreeing to Nolan shooting in IMAX was them just indulging his whims because, right now, he is a big box office draw.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

hi3iL2w.gif

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
wow.

MBH

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Hi guys, I’m Mark. I’m brand new to the forum and joined out of respect for the conversations in this community. My first question out of the gate has to do with aspect ratios on Oppenheimer for the 4K release. If Nolan indeed would prefer, as he apparently has publicly stated, to shoot the whole film in 70mm IMAX format which is 1:85:1 aspect ratio, why would he not just shoot the other 35mm footage in 1:85:1 as well so as to make the home video release consistent with respect to aspect ratios? I realize that sometimes there is an aesthetic reason a director has for toggling back and forth between different aspect ratios within a film but it seems in this case Nolan has stated it’s not so much a creative choice but rather one having to do with the confines of the different cameras.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
And Hateful 8?

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
Christopher Nolan has been in the feature film environment since 1998, gaining an early reputation with Memento in 2000.

In 2005, his Batman Begins, the first of a trilogy which are among many fans favorite films put him firmly on the popular map. Interstellar (2014) added to the multitude of discussions regarding his recording and mixing of dialogue, and his directorial work on Dunkirk (2017) sealed his reputation as one of the era's finest filmmakers.

With Oppenheimer, I believe he places himself on very special turf - the story of an individual set against a huge background - and shares that turf with only a handful of filmmakers, including David Lean.

Make no mistake.

Oppenheimer is brilliant filmmaking.

Coming from Mr. Nolan, one might presume that an approved video master would look and sound equally as perfect.

And it does.

Universal (his film time there as a director, after working at WB) has meticulously crafted a digital version of his large format shot film - as shot on film.

If you missed this work in a theater on a huge screen, know that Universal's 4k UHD disc is absolutely glorious, and is one of very few discs that is able by design to, and then takes full use of the 4k UHD technology.

The audio in DTS-HD MA 5.1 - yes, not 7.1, DTS-X or Dolby Atmos - is home theater shaking, and could be a danger to those who lease, or live in condos or other shared spaces. The base is extraordinary, and will literally shake your walls.

From a production perspective - and every dollar of the budget can be seen on screen, I'm surprised to learn that the film was shot in 90 days.

Now for the important stuff, especially for those who invest and trade in slipcovers.

This one is an elegant beauty. It's simple heavy paper, but beautifully designed, with orange as the main theme, inclusive of a glossy orange title that is embossed. No shoddy printing here.

Richard Roper's quote from the Chicago Sun-Times - "One of the best movies of the century." finds someone here in total agreement. That quote is nicely set off in a much more delicate shade, matching the credit block which resides just below the top of the obverse.

And in perfect style, the 4K UltraHD logo is in fully reflective silver, along with the specs just below. It is reported that in a tip of the hat to Orson Welles, Universal has accessed pure silver from none other than The Comstock Load!

Because of the cost, I'm betting that this First Edition slip will disappear at a certain point, and since the street is currently under $30, I'd not allow this one to get away.

Seeing this film allows the audience a chance to finally get a sense of who J. Robert Oppenheimer really was, and the personal hell that he was forced through after he was brought in to help end WWII.

I've not yet seen Maestro, but thus far, Oppenheimer is my Best Film of 2023, and its 180 minute running time seems more akin to 120.

I wonder what Mr. Oppenheimer would think of this.

NOTE:

Per requests, all ratings beginning today will work on a 1 -10 scale, as seemingly 5s for some and 10s for others has led to confusion, potentially adding to global warming.

Image – 10 (HDR10)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 10

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 8

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Was surprised how effective IMAX 75-15 Perf worked with a dialog driven drama. Nolan proved IMAX isn't just for action movies. It was the shortest 3 hour movie I've ever seen. Glad to read the 4K UHD got your seal of approval. The focus of this forum is obviously on the home theatre experience but I would like to shine a light on theatrical presentation, specifically IMAX 75-15 Perf presentations. That IMAX film projector is an engineering marvel. Every projected frame is pin registered for zero bob and weave, vacuumed flat against glass focal plane plate for perfect focus corner to corner, and all this happening while the film continuously flies through the projector at 24FPS (no pull down claw like 35 and 75 mm projection). Its always special to see a movie in a full house that ends with spontaneous applause from the audience. Hats off to the projectionists who made Oppenheimer such a wonderful IMAX show. Hope Nolan inspires more film makers to shoot and present on IMAX film.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Was surprised how effective IMAX 75-15 Perf worked with a dialog driven drama. Nolan proved IMAX isn't just for action movies. It was the shortest 3 hour movie I've ever seen. Glad to read the 4K UHD got your seal of approval. The focus of this forum is obviously on the home theatre experience but I would like to shine a light on theatrical presentation, specifically IMAX 75-15 Perf presentations. That IMAX film projector is an engineering marvel. Every projected frame is pin registered for zero bob and weave, vacuumed flat against glass focal plane plate for perfect focus corner to corner, and all this happening while the film continuously flies through the projector at 24FPS (no pull down claw like 35 and 75 mm projection). Its always special to see a movie in a full house that ends with spontaneous applause from the audience. Hats off to the projectionists who made Oppenheimer such a wonderful IMAX show. Hope Nolan inspires more film makers to shoot and present on IMAX film.
I don’t claim to know anything about IMAX, but the second video I had linked in post 44, the projectionist said Oppenheimer is 70mm IMAX 5 perf.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mah-toe. IMO this film absolutely benefitted from being shot in IMAX. Robert Harris said it best - Oppenheimer is pure cinema. I agree 100 % and only wish I could have seen it properly projected in a theater. Sorry you didn't like it more than you did.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mah-toe. IMO this film absolutely benefitted from being shot in IMAX. Robert Harris said it best - Oppenheimer is pure cinema. I agree 100 % and only wish I could have seen it properly projected in a theater. Sorry you didn't like it more than you did.
Agree 1000%. Pure cinema. Nolan absolutely strove to be anti-epic in his conception of Oppenheimer. Here's an IMAX comparison - both Ansel Adams and Richard Avedon used large format 8x10 cameras. Adams used it for epic landscapes. Avedon (or Irving Penn) used the 8x10 for FACES. Nolan used IMAX to enhance the intimacy and to get close to what was going on in the minds of these people. He was never going to give you the expected massive vistas, obligatory cast of thousands shot or historical recreations. The explosion is astounding for what it doesnt show but what you hear and feel by being so close. I applaud him for taking this approach and I actually think it is what made it unique and intense and not just another big historical retelling of an event. Tarantino did the same thing in The Hateful 8. 65mm for an extended one room multi-character dramatic confrontation. Counterintuitive and genius. But not everyone will feel the same way. So it goes.

MBH

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Hogan
No, The Blu-ray alternates between 1.78:1 and 2.20:1 as well.

I just wish we had the option of buying a 4K disc with 1:78:1 all the way through (first preference) or with 2:20:1 all the way through. The toggling between the two ratios feels diminutive to this great cinematic achievement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks