What's new

NFL Off-season 2019 (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
No, he's the starter. The rumors are they are going to draft a QB in the first round. Though, not sure I buy this and it may be smokescreen, I would think they will draft a defensive player.
Fitzpatrick is the perfect starter for a team planning on tanking for a high draft pick in the 2020 draft. There will be better QB prospects to choose from in next season's draft, especially considering that Miami would have to trade up to get a crack at Murray or Haskins -- probably the only two legitimate first round prospects this season (and I think both have a higher "bust" potential than the QB's taken high in the first round in other recent drafts).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Fitzpatrick is the perfect starter for a team planning on tanking for a high draft pick in the 2020 draft. There will be better QB prospects to choose from in next season's draft, especially considering that Miami would have to trade up to get a crack at Murray or Haskins -- probably the only two legitimate first round prospects this season (and I think both have a higher "bust" potential than the QB's taken high in the first round in other recent drafts).

I honestly can't figure out who will draft a QB in round 1. The Cardinals seem all in on Murray but they drafted a QB in round 1 last season. Do they really just give up on Rosen already, after one season on a dreadful team? That seems like they are just faking their interest in Murray but a lot of people seem to think they are not. Some people seem to think that Miami will draft either Haskins or Drew Lock at 13. There is far better talent going to be there than those two QBs at 13.

Gruden has 3 first round picks and people seem to think he will use one on a QB...he supposedly loves Lock so may take him with one of his late picks. I tend to think he is not going to go after Murray as some seemed to think. I don't think Miami can trade up from 13 to take Murray.

The only real trade up partners the Cardinals may have for Murray would be the Raiders or Giants. I can't see either of those teams doing that. Also, the Giants/Maras seem to have a fondness for Daniel Jones so they may use their second first rounder to reach for him. With all the holes on the Giants I would not do that but they don't seem to be doing much of anything that makes sense.

Basically, I don't think much of this QB class but the NFL now seems to have this idea that drafting any QB in round 1 makes sense because they are such a valuable commodity.

The Redskins seem to also be looking at QBs but I can't see them taking anybody in Round 1...but who knows if the Cardinals do pass on Murray and he starts to fall now all sorts of things come into play.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Basically, I don't think much of this QB class but the NFL now seems to have this idea that drafting any QB in round 1 makes sense because they are such a valuable commodity.

The NFL has been this way for quite a few years. Teams are so desperate for a QB that they are willing to waste first round picks on the likes of Christian Ponder, Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow, EJ Manuel, Paxton Lynch, Jake Locker, Brandon Weeden, etc.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Florida prosecutors offered Kraft a typical plea deal for a case like his and he turned it down. What a dumbass, he is 77 circling the drain of life and he could have made this go away fast. Now if he goes to trail and is found guilty he could do 60 or more days in jail.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Florida prosecutors offered Kraft a typical plea deal for a case like his and he turned it down. What a dumbass, he is 77 circling the drain of life and he could have made this go away fast. Now if he goes to trail and is found guilty he could do 60 or more days in jail.

Yes, this was because the offer to dismiss included that he basically admit he was guilty of the crime...which he is, he is on tape doing it and they conducted a traffic stop on him when he left to confirm who he was. So, he is as guilty as they come he just does not want to admit it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The NFL has been this way for quite a few years. Teams are so desperate for a QB that they are willing to waste first round picks on the likes of Christian Ponder, Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow, EJ Manuel, Paxton Lynch, Jake Locker, Brandon Weeden, etc.
Yep- the Jets and Browns were definitely guilty of this thinking- have a bad year, draft the next hot QB name in the draft. This mindset got those teams nowhere for years.
Is there any reason for Dolphins fans to watch the team this year if Fitz is the starter, with no
young prospect waiting to take over at some point during the season? No, there isn’t a reason to watch. I affectionately refer to him as Stinky Fitz- he’ll never win you anything. It’s frustrating as a fan to see QBs with a pulse taking money from teams (hi, Bortles).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Poor decision by the NFL to replace the Super Bowl champs in the Thursday night kickoff game this upcoming season. They actively start a tradition some years ago, then actively disrupt it?
Gronkowski retiring- the fanboys at ESPN think he’s a no doubt first ballot hall of famer. I disagree- his fragility should keep him out of the hall for a little while.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Looks like us fans will see a fairly big change in the game starting this season- an alternative to the onside kick. The competition committee is proposing a team can, only once, and only in the 4th quarter, to choose an option of a 4th and 15th at its own 35. Not a terrible idea, but I would put the ball at the 30, not the 35 (a successful onside kick would give the ball to the kicking team near its own 45, not midfield). Their was only 1 vote against this proposal, from Giants owner John Mara.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Looks like us fans will see a fairly big change in the game starting this season- an alternative to the onside kick. The competition committee is proposing a team can, only once, and only in the 4th quarter, to choose an option of a 4th and 15th at its own 35. Not a terrible idea, but I would put the ball at the 30, not the 35 (a successful onside kick would give the ball to the kicking team near its own 45, not midfield). Their was only 1 vote against this proposal, from Giants owner John Mara.
This is one more step towards the NFL completely removing the kickoff from the game. The current rules have made the play mostly a non-event anyway, which is a shame. It used to be an exciting part of the game. Now it's just that boring touchback wedged between a couple of long commercial breaks.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
If the NFL removes the kickoff, I’m done with it. The kickoff is too big a part of the game to remove.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The owners approved offensive and defensive pass interference calls and non calls to be reviewable. OK, but I still think personal foul calls should be booth reviewable too (the refs screw up too many of these calls). There won’t be a change to the onside kick.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The owners approved offensive and defensive pass interference calls and non calls to be reviewable. OK, but I still think personal foul calls should be booth reviewable too (the refs screw up too many of these calls). There won’t be a change to the onside kick.
IMO, they need to kick the door open and review any play within certain restrictions as to the number of challenges a coach can use.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I hate replay.

It see=ms to me the refs are making less calls on the field, leading to more and more review time.

As if there are not enough commercial breaks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Opening up replay to pass interference -- both calls and non-calls -- is an overreaction to one very bad missed call from last season. I think it potentially opens up more problems than it fixes. This could mean just about every play in the final two minutes of each half could come under review. I want to see the fan reaction to a ticky-tac PI call that was let go on the field, but review instead awards a 50 yard penalty that puts the offense in field goal range to win the game. Or better yet, an extremely long frame-by-frame review of a non-call that looks like an obvious penalty to fans, yet that review determines it was a penalty, but happened before the ball was released and should therefore have been defensive holding -- but that penalty is not reviewable so nothing is changed by replay.

The league is trying to appease everyone because the on-field officials missed an obvious penalty at a crucial point in one of the biggest games of the year. Instead of addressing the issue of how could so many on-field officials miss such an obvious penalty, instead we get this potential mess.

I agree with John. The intent of instant replay is fine, but the execution by the league leads to tentative officiating on the field, long delays, and there are times where I still do not think they get the call correct. The league needs to completely revamp how they handle replays.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
What will really be interesting is how the league will handle the Hale Mary plays at the end of the game. This situation could get ugly- nothing is called on those plays, but with the new rules, a cheap penalty could be called on the defensive team by the booth that the refs generally let go, so the losing team could get the ball at the 1 when they don’t deserve to. Talking heads on ESPN brought this point up.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think they need to try something. If it doesn't work out, try something different.

I don't want this to become like baseball where they stubbornly stick to archaic practices simply because of some stuffy old "tradition" excuse, or they're afraid of unintended consequences, or the argument that "good enough" is good enough. Plus nothing is carved in stone. If you don't get the result wanted/expected, then make more adjustments.

I also think some of the issues seen in the playoffs are due to the "all star" officials. I think someone (Sean Payton?) has been addressing this. It makes no sense to have your marquee teams in playoff situations at the whim of an officiating crew that has not worked together before. They should be grading entire crews, not just individuals. The best rated crews should be calling the playoff games, not just crews of random officials.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.