What's new

Last 2 Questions Before I Place SVS Order (1 Viewer)

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully, these are my last questions before I place my order for SVS 16-46cs+ and Samson 1000 this weekend.

Is there any reason not to buy a BFD??? I was considering the Rane PE17, but BFD seems much more flexible. Only concerns I've seen in my searches are that it has no subsonic filter and it could add minor noise that is inconsequential below 200 hz.

Is there a significant benefit to adding a second sub at lower volumes, i.e. tighter & deeper bass than a single??? In my environment, I don't anticipate straining the single SVS and Samson combo. However, with the great deals going on at SVS, I almost feel that I need to spend more there...

OK, maybe a 3rd question, How would you spend $1,360 on a Sub(before shipping) if you couldn't make any more additions for a full year?

The analyst in me thinks there's never enough good data...

Thanks again!

Leon

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
1) I prefer the flexibility of the BFD over the Rane. For sub frequencies I personally found these EQs to be sonically identical. You will also not be able to use the BFD for high frequencies (sounds horrible). The Rane is difficult to adjust (very small movement = big change) and the knobs can be twisted at any time (a bad thing).

2) Adding a 2nd sub will increase headroom and lower distortion (since both subs will be moving 50% less at a given SPL).

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
How would you spend $1,360 on a Sub(before shipping) if you couldn't make any more additions for a full year?
I'd suggest you order the twin 16+'s AND the BFD. Make sure you order the BFD from a place that offers a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy. (There are many vendors that do.) Then you've got 30 days to decide whether to send back the second sub or the BFD based on which you actually prefer. Right now you can only guess which you'd like better.

More importantly, you have 30 days to come back and edit your post to say that you really have $1489 to spend on subs this year.

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys, Thanks for the input.

Greg, your first hand experience and simple explanations are greatly appreciated.

Doug, I like the way you set a budget. BTW, my budget started at $450 for a Velo CT-12. And, somewhere in the mix I ended up purchasing a new recevier as well.

Must be an omen...I received a modest check today for selling part of my collection. It was supposed to go towards my IRA...

Maybe I'll order the the dual setup and take measurements before getting an EQ...

Have Fun!

Leon

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Tony,

I'm an investment analyst. I evaluate Institutional and Retail Mutual Funds.

Leon Osborne, CFA

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
Leon,
cool. I am an investment banking analyst covering the insurance industry. I am registered to take the CFA level I exam in June.
Whats your pick on retail mutual funds? I will be dumping my 2003 Roth IRA contribution soon and am debating what to put it in. Current allocation in 66% Vanguard 500 and 33% Dresdner RCM Biotech.
Sorry for the off-topic :)
As for subwoofers, I would go with dual 46 cs+'s and the crown K1 amp. The amp costs more, but its definitely better quality, AND its fanless...

farnamT

Agent
If i were you guys i would just pick an amp off ebay or somewhere else. I think SVS charges too much for there amps.

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
farnamT, the link you posted was for an S700, which doesn't have quite enough juice for the CS+. The S1000 from that same vendor is $399, which is the cheapest I've seen it (new) on the net.

If you get the CS-Plus/S1000 package from SVS, the S1000 is only $400.

If you buy from SVS using the HTS group buy, you'll get another 15% off, so the S1000 is effectively $340. I doubt you can beat that price for a NEW S1000 with warrantee.

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Tony, I thought you might be an analyst, living in Manhattan & all. (That's why I through the designation)
My favorite aggressive fund just closed. Artisan MidCap. Lately, I haven't followed retail funds, so I'm a little out of touch. However, I'm pretty heavily invested in Vanguard. I haven't seen anyone do index funds better... It's better to be in average funds with the right asset allocation, than it is to be in the best funds of the wrong asset class... I think it was Brinson who figured 94% of performance is due to asset allocation, 7% to selection and -1% to timing. I do, however, believe that the markets in the lower capitalizations are inefficient and offer opportunities to beat the respective benchmarks.
We do some work with Dresdner. They are fantastic in the biotech and technology sectors. However, you've got a pretty big chunk in one volatile sector... You might want to consider adding some other asset classes as well (small, mid, international, fixed income, or even more value to offset the biotech). As you'll see through the ethics sections, and especially in Level 3, one should really understand a persons situation before making any recommendations... Two other funds that I like are Berger Small Value and Oakmark Select. However, they might be closed as well.
If you want any tips on Level I, drop me a line at: [email protected]
BACK TO BUSINESS... I've looked at other outlets, but with the GB, I haven't seen anyone beat the SVS price. Even without the discounts, the price in a package is hard to beat. And of course, without any deals, I would have no problem giving an extra 5 or 10% to Ron & Tom for all of their service and the comfort of know that they will stand behind their products.
Have Fund!
Leon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks