JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to add something that's probably entirely unnecessary. I find there's a lot of confusion regarding how to do even the basic settings on a powered subwoofer. I think it comes from the fact that most settings can be adjusted in two places. On the sub itself and in the receiver/preamp. Two volume controls, two crossovers adjustments, two phase settings. There's a lot of misunderstanding of those settings and then there's the belief that room correction means you can just throw things in a room, press a button, and everything magically is optimized. It's just not that simple.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Just to add something that's probably entirely unnecessary. I find there's a lot of confusion regarding how to do even the basic settings on a powered subwoofer. I think it comes from the fact that most settings can be adjusted in two places. On the sub itself and in the receiver/preamp. Two volume controls, two crossovers adjustments, two phase settings. There's a lot of misunderstanding of those settings and then there's the belief that room correction means you can just throw things in a room, press a button, and everything magically is optimized. It's just not that simple.
I agree. Some of this was emphasized recently during @Dave Upton 's podcast on room correction. Still, I think a concise subwoofer setup tutorial might have some value. I'll check for one here and, assuming I don't find anything, maybe put something together.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree. Some of this was emphasized recently during @Dave Upton 's podcast on room correction. Still, I think a concise subwoofer setup tutorial might have some value. I'll check for one here and, assuming I don't find anything, maybe put something together.
I've been planning on starting an ongoing discussion on that. Digging into REW has definitely emphasized how complex and important it is. Both of my systems have been completely transformed using only analysis and some fundamental changes to location of the subs and settings. This is after I had already put more effort into optimizing things than most people probably do.

I say "only" but there's several hours of work involved. The "only" is referring to being at a reasonable cost of a microphone, using a computer that many probably already have.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In fact, I've been thinking about starting thread for so long now, I figured I'd just go ahead and do it, which is HERE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks