What's new

Just ordered a PSA (Power Sound Audio) 15S subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I did acknowledge they were for the original Debut line; versus the 2.0 which I heard, so I admitted they were not the same line. I was glad I didn't listen to the hype for v.1 to justify blind buying v.2.

You seem to assign a negative connotation to hype, which Oxford English Dictionary defines as "Extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion".

Which describes exactly what happened with Elacs. And SVS. And Emotiva. And Outlaw. And Hsu. Because when something good is made, it is hyped. I'm hyping RSLs right now.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
It was a Magnolia within a Best Buy. A pretty noise-isolated room (from the rest of the store). Yes they did have switchers, but the amp that was being used was very similar to the Elites I have at home (I have the SC-05 and -79, they used last year's model I don't remember the the number). I acknowledge that the situation was less than ideal, and I did what I could to isolate the room, toe and angle the speakers to me, blend the SVS SB-2000 to the best of my ability. Credit the guy for being patient while I monkeyed around with things for about 10 minutes.

So I have no doubt both would sound better in my home than what they did in the store. But the Elac was so underwhelming and disappointing on very many levels, very recessed and dull sounding. The SVS sounded better but a bit bright and forward for my tastes, something which probably wouldn't be "calmed down" in my home. For the SVS my issue was more my personal preference (I prefer as close to a neutral/balanced reproduction as possible) rather than a speaker quality issue. The Elacs...let's just say I'm glad I didn't buy into the internet hype. And to be fair, the hype was for the original Debut line and not for the 2.0, which is what I auditioned.
Carlo, I heard the new Debut 2.0 at Axpona and it was lights out good. I suspect it was awful acoustics/setup at Magnolia, more than the speaker. I've rarely encountered a Best Buy/Magnolia that knew what the hell it was doing for setting up demo speakers, outside a couple of really high end rooms.

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Carlo, I heard the new Debut 2.0 at Axpona and it was lights out good. I suspect it was awful acoustics/setup at Magnolia, more than the speaker. I've rarely encountered a Best Buy/Magnolia that knew what the hell it was doing for setting up demo speakers, outside a couple of really high end rooms.
That's interesting to hear Dave. I did mention I tried to optimize the room and speaker positioning as much as I could. But if you're right about most BB/Mags not having great demo rooms, it makes me wonder about the thought process behind Elac (and SVS) going with a dealer model versus staying ID. Because if my experience this weekend was any indication, that room is doing them no favors. It won't even work to "attract the general populace" crowd because most of those people aren't even going into that room. And anyone who does go into that room, there are bookshelves mixed in with multi-thousand dollar floor-standers. Maybe SVS Ultras and Elac's floorstanders can go toe-to-toe with B&W, Magnepans, etc (I don't know, I didn't listen to them), but I'm not sure how anyone would be motivated to buy their bookshelves in that setup I listened to.

It might be something else if they were out in the generic Best Buy area competing against the other normal priced equipment, but having them in what appears to be a high-end room, with other high-end equipment, but not set up well, doesn't sound like a good model for moving their more affordable speakers.

I wonder if going B&M increases their sales enough to offset what might happen in those types of sub-par Magnolia rooms. If they were still ID only, based solely on HTF's history with SVS (I was here when Ron and Tom started the company), they likely would have been the first brand I ordered...over RSL and Elac. But hearing what I did in that room completely turned me off to both brands: the Elacs more than the SVS. As I clarified, the SVS sounded a bit forward and bright to me so that's mostly my personal taste. But the Elacs sounded lifeless and recessed, which sounds completely the opposite of your experience. So that room and setup is really doing them a disservice.

EDIT - I shouldn't have said "turned me off to both brands" but rather "turned me off to both specific models of speakers I auditioned".

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Acoustics are so important, that I think it's really tough to audition speakers in most showrooms. With Best Buy's return policy, I would say an in-home audition probably makes the most sense, if you're serious about them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dave I already pulled the trigger on the RSLs so I'm now out of the market. That’s why I questioned the ROI on going big box store because I’m a sale they lost due to the poor setup.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Here's a blast from the past. I probably posted these on this very forum circa 1999-2000(?).

Reminds me of a quote from Pirate Radio.

I made a terrible mistake. I realized something, and instead of crushing the thought the moment it came I... I let it hang on, and now I know it to be true. And I'm afraid it's stuck in my head forever. These are the best days of our lives. It's a terrible thing to know, but I know it.

TV

Attachments

• Manytubes2.jpg
    Manytubes2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 132
  • SS_SVS1.jpg
    SS_SVS1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 129

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Quick update, I've been happily chugging along with the PSA 15S for a couple of weeks now. I think the highest compliment I can give it over these past two weeks has been that it hasn't inappropriately drawn attention to itself. I've been primarily running music and non-sub heavy movies over the last week, and it's blended itself very nicely into the mix. When it's been called upon, it responds in a clean, accurate and powerful way. No bloat.

Last night however I decided to spin the 4K of Pacific Rim, which I hadn't done since I first purchased the disc on its release date (whenever that was).

Holeeee crap. Yes it's been a while since I saw the movie but I definitely do not recall the bass having that type of visceral impact with my old sub (again, unsurprising given it was a 20 year old Energy 12" sub). The PSA 15S in my room is the "missing piece" in terms of getting true theater quality sound at home. My normal speakers, while not top-tier, are more than respectable for the room, and provide very good music and movie soundtrack reproduction. But that last little bit of low-end oomph and thump (I'm pretty sure those are the technical terms) that a nicely equipped and properly set up movie theater give you...I'm now finally able to recreate that at home.

Again, major props to Tom and Jim and everyone at PSA. I'm no stranger to buyer's remorse, and I will return any product I am dissatisfied with. Let's just say I'm breaking down the cardboard box this bad boy came in, because it ain't going back to Tom.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I love PR more than anyone I know. But I will say this: wait till you hear the end 20 minutes of War for the Planet of the Apes on your new sub.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
All right. Let’s see if I can get a copy locally before I head to Hsu Friday morning. :rolling-smiley:

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Couple pictures of a recent V3601 build.

TV

Attachments

• 4_29_2.JPG
    4_29_2.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 4_29_3.JPG
    4_29_3.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 4_29_4.JPG
    4_29_4.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 4-29.JPG
    4-29.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 84

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Every time I read something like "My wife thinks my 10" sub is too big, what in-wall should I consider" I think of this picture...

TV

Attachments

• V601's.2 copy.jpg
    V601's.2 copy.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 117

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
The V3601 is an incredible subwoofer. The only complaint in our home is the size. For performance, it's just killer. Flat to 14 Hz in room. You cannot get it to chuff, nor bottom. Mid bass is articulate. It's a ... and possibly THE ... standard bearer in subwoofer performance and value.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I received got my first object lesson in critical room placement. Moved the 15S to the bedroom, which is much smaller than the living room (14x14x8) but due to it being a bit cramped with furniture, and the fact that my existing sub cable was only 12' in length, it's sitting in a totally unoptimized location. There are several dead spots as I walk around the room, I had to use the delay setting (which I didn't in the living room), and the sub volume knob is turned higher than it was in the living room (12 o'clock vs. 10 o'clock). Granted this is a different receiver (Pioneer Elite SC-79 vs. Denon 4400) so that may also be sending a different signal strength.

I just purchased a 25' cable that will allow me to place it close to a corner and also closer to the listening position. As I mentioned before I don't need it to "shake the house" but there were several deep frequencies that I know the 15S reproduces faithfully (and strongly) in the living room, that it just doesn't in its current suboptimal placement.

For the life of me, I can't find my MCACC microphone for Elite, and nowhere online sells it (including Pioneer, which lists it as out of stock). :(

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I received got my first object lesson in critical room placement. Moved the 15S to the bedroom, which is much smaller than the living room (14x14x8) but due to it being a bit cramped with furniture, and the fact that my existing sub cable was only 12' in length, it's sitting in a totally unoptimized location. There are several dead spots as I walk around the room, I had to use the delay setting (which I didn't in the living room), and the sub volume knob is turned higher than it was in the living room (12 o'clock vs. 10 o'clock). Granted this is a different receiver (Pioneer Elite SC-79 vs. Denon 4400) so that may also be sending a different signal strength.

I just purchased a 25' cable that will allow me to place it close to a corner and also closer to the listening position. As I mentioned before I don't need it to "shake the house" but there were several deep frequencies that I know the 15S reproduces faithfully (and strongly) in the living room, that it just doesn't in its current suboptimal placement.

For the life of me, I can't find my MCACC microphone for Elite, and nowhere online sells it (including Pioneer, which lists it as out of stock). :(
They're usually calibrated/paired to the receiver, so you will likely have to call Pioneer support.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The smaller the room the more severe the modes will be. Square makes them even more pronounced. You're going to have issues here regardless of placement.

Time delay is more to help with the main speaker + sub integration.

Be sure to spin the "room size" control all the way to SMALL too.

Which receiver and speakers are you using in the smaller room?

TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks