What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (2 Viewers)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
"The iPad is not a laptop" reminds me of "the iPhone is not a Smartphone - unlike the Nokia N95". It will be a losing argument. Those who grew up with a mouse (or a typewriter or a pen and paper) are being replaced by those who grew up with a touchscreen.

The idea that the iPad's biggest failure is not having iOS support for attaching an external disk drive is kinda comical. Never occurred to me as being important. I'll grant you there are various ways to improve iCloud Drive: number 1 with a bullet is offering 100% of the backup ability that one has to buy from BackBlaze et al.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching THE VERGE review. Will look at the others that Sam has posted.

I don't agree that they are whiners. I can relate to having to want my iPad to replace my laptop and being confined by the limitations of iOS.

In fact, I have argued this very thing in the past on this forum. I can't even do simple press release stuff with an iPad without running into Safari limitations.

Apple has to do a better job with iOS, allowing it to adapt to the user. As THE VERGE pointed out, the user has to adapt to iOS instead.

I have never felt, even with a keyboard, that I was using the iPad, in the same way, I would use a computer. And that is what most sucks about the iPad.

I use the iPad for reading magazines, for watching movies while I travel and doing a quick email response here and there. I am spending a shitload of money for a powerful device that just can't replace my laptop.....and that's a real shame.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Being critical is not whining. It’s useful to have alternate opinions of $1000 - $2000 laptop replacements. I don’t have an opinion of external storage. But the criticism about photo access seems valid. And the inability to change default apps only grows more problematic, particularly when Apple’s provided calendar and email are anemic. Likewise, the complete lack of solid backup options is a real risk if youre using your device for anything substantial.

In any case, the $329 iPad is fantastic at what it does and its price cuts down arguments of iOS limitations. But a $1000+ iPad folio combo merits stronger critique when its competing against other computers with varying benefits and limitations.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
But we all expect these comparisons to diminish in a year or three when Apple has moved its computers to the A-series CPU / GPU platform. Then the MacBook Air will have the same performance of an iPad Pro with all the flexibility of macOS. Or you can get an iPad for what its strengths are.

Or, in true Apple fashion, they retcon the past decade and release a unified OS spanning all their devices. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Even Gruber agrees:
  • I firmly believe that the iOS Files app should show attached USB drives. I believed this before, when USB peripherals needed to be attached using a Lightning adapter, but now that iPad Pros have a USB-C port, it seems downright silly that USB drives don’t appear in the Files app. I think the iPad’s old policy of not even having a Files app at all made sense. I’m glad Apple added the Files app, but it made sense not to have one in the name of simplicity. But it doesn’t make sense to me to have a Files app but notshow the contents of USB drives when you connect them. This just feels spiteful.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Even Gruber agrees:
I am certainly all for more enhancements in the files app. Just didn't think of it as a crucial failure, as stated any the Verge.

My biggest complaint was that you could only import from external cameras to Photos (as opposed to, say, Lightroom) (did that change in iOS 12??) Also, that you could force Photos to keep some pics local - for instance all your iCloud shared albums could be forced to remain in full res on your iPad up to iOS 8(?), you lost that afterwords...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think I learned from my Apple Watch Series 4 experience, one could order early tomorrow for pick up at an Apple Store if the store has stock. Hopefully that will work out. The demand should be less then the Watch. And hopefully the Pencil will be available as well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I placed my order for the iPad Pro 12.9 3rd Generation with the Apple Pencil 2 and Foliocase. Plus Applecare. It will be available for pick-up at my local Apple Store today. So that is cool. I don’t have to worry about shipping and whether it arrives ok at my office or home. I’ll pick it up after work.

I’m really happy this time Apple listened to us and has a case that protects the rear.

I’ll be curious how you guys feel about your new iPad Pro’s and how you’re using it! I’m really looking forward to when Photoshop is out to try it. And of course i’ll Be using Sketchbook and the procreate app to create some sketches.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Nelson, have a great pick-up.

Mine is on the UPS truck. You can now track the truck live on a map as it moves around your town. Pretty cool. I usually get my UPS delivery around 6pm so it's gonna be a good few hours yet.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ron! It’s always a nice experience going to the Apple Store to pick up a new product.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Sam! That’s a good video. Watching it made me realize I can’t continue to use just one charging brick and cable for my iPads. I need to use the new charger and USB-C cable. Unless I’m mistaken, too bad they did not get the wireless charging to work on the ipad.

Nice to see how the Pencil is so strongly attached to the iPad by the magnet. And great to see the tapping function in use on the Pencil. That’s a scenario I’d likely encounter as I create artwork.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
ED90E971-ADDC-4CFF-AB42-C0F16FCB33F1.jpeg
Did you guys know that there was an eclipse today?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks