1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

iPad Pro owners thread

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Nelson Au, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    The keyboard can’t be removed or is very difficult to remove? My “old” iPad Pro has a Logitech keyboard that is very easy to remove.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I’ve been traveling with one of those Anker usb chargers the past year or so. I left it behind in a hotel and immediately bought a new one. Super useful.

Sam Posten likes this.
  3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The keyboard is a breeze to remove from the folio. It just lifts right off without any hesitation

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Ok, your post gave me the impression it was difficult to remove.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yeah I love Anker stuff. My question was whether I should buy the slightly smaller single port or just get the bigger one with 5. I went with the 5.

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  8. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Hey guys, hope you’re enjoying your new iPad Pro’s. I know I am. I’ll have some thoughts soon.

One thing I hope I can pick your brains about is how to connect the 2018 iPad Pro with USB-C connector port to a late 2012 Mac Pro tower that only has USB-A. This is the last tower Apple made. I only back-up and transfer music and video and photos from iTunes to the iPad and iPhone this way. Not via the cloud. Though when I initially set-up the iPhone X and the iPad Pro 3, things like the address book, bookmarks and some photos did update wirelessly.

One option is to buy a Belkin USB-A to USB-C cable. This is recommended by Apple’s site, but the UPC code of the connector shows up on Amazon’s site and it seems maybe an older cable that is out of stock. The reviews were not good as people complained about poor transfer speeds and intolerably long charging times to recharge a Pixel phone. Maybe another Belkin cable is fine, but I wondered if it matters for transfer speed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS, I had considered putting all my iTunes content on an external drive and have iTunes target that drive on which ever Mac it’s connected too. I’m not sure that could work to transfer the content to an iPad if I connected the drive to the iPad.

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I haven't connected to a computer in years for my own devices. All of my 'other' devices go through modern usb.

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  12. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Oh yes, I’m familiar with those sheets when a project I was working on used magnets, we used those sheets too to help locate them in the product.

Sam Posten likes this.
  13. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Ok guys I’m trying to resist , I have a 2017 iPad, I have tried the pro’s in the past, more on that in a minute. How are the folio keyboards ? Any chance of the keys scratching the screen when closed? How is it when flipped around ?

What size storage did you get?

Ok the big question. I’ve returned both the 1st and 2nd gen 12.9 because it was just too big, I mostly sit on the couch with it read mags and comics, but it do tend to carry it around. I’ve watched the reviews have they shaved enough off it this time? I’m leaning toward the 11 but want the 12.9.

Either way I’ll own this for at least three years, finally some are saying it flexes badly does it ?

Thanks

14. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Hi Dave!

I bought my iPad mainly for reading magazines and newspapers. I subscribe to TEXTURE ($10 a month) and I feel that the 12.9 gives maximum benefit for reading.

The 12.9 does not seem too large. In fact, based on a poll that was conducted on another website, users are hoping Apple goes with a 14" iPad next time around. Allegedly, Apple was considering this at one point.

This is my first 12.9 iPad. I coming from the 9" series. It doesn't seem overly big or bulky. It just seems perfect. I bought my Mom the 11" iPad, so I can truly compare. The 11" is a little more compact as you would expect, but the 12" is not overpowering.

The $200 folio keyboard is very nice. It seems rather basic. It's absolutely overpriced. You may want to wait for Logitech to come out with something. However, if you go with Apple you won't be disappointed. No, it will not scratch the screen when closed. I am certain Apple saw to that. There really is no movement between the keyboard and screen once everything is folded and closed so no chance of abrasion. The keys are made of soft rubbery material anyway.

Storage size...

I was conservative with my choice. I went 256 GB. That is a middle ground choice. Unless you are going to use this to store a lot of media, you don't need a lot of storage. All my music is on my iPhone, so I certainly don't need it on the iPad.

256GB is certainly more than enough storage to put a handful of movies on if you want to go traveling. You could even step down to 64GB if all you are going to do is use the iPad for reading and apps.

You don't need cellular unless you want to connect it while traveling outside a WiFi hotspot. Your phone should have a HOTSPOT function and you could easily create a WiFi hotspot with that phone and tether your iPad off of it.

I ultimately went cellular for two reasons: First, the resale value is higher. Second, I use my iPad as a navigation map when traveling in a rental car. Many maps won't properly work without a cellular connection.

If you have any more questions please fire away...

15. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa

I always get cellular i do tend to use it alot at my parents house. I was thinking about 512gb , but i mostly stream everything, and 256gb would be more than enough. Any flex i've read the larger one flexes

16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    You know, I heard about that? One of the video reviews on one of the major Mac sites even commented on it and the reviewer tried to bend his 12.9" iPad pro but couldn't.

I just tried to do the same thing, and this is solid as a rock. I don't know how customers are even complaining about flexing. I just don't see it.

However, if yours does flex, you can easily return it to Apple.

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    How do you do that, use a 13” iPad for car nav? Is it in the passenger seat, and you look over at it?

I pack a little vent mount to use my iPhone. An iPhone XS+ Max should be a great map. And about half my rental cars have CarPlay, which is even easier.
    https://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Holder-Cradle-iPhone-Samsung/dp/B017HME9DC

18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Are you talking about the YouTuber who dropped the iPad six or more times onto concrete until the screen shattered and then in mock surprise found that he could flex the body in a way that no one ever do?

So yeah, don’t drop your iPad repeatedly onto concrete until the screen shatters. And then after you’ve intentionally destroyed its structural rigidity*, don’t grasp it firmly in both hands and bend it. Don’t do that, and you’ll be fine.

* A six-sided box is rigid. A five sided box is not.

19. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

I bought this a few years ago for my 9" iPad. It is no longer available. There are others. It gives you an idea of what I used. It fits in the cup holder and is adjustable

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0IQTE8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, more rental cars now come with navigation and Car Play. Some charge you extra for the services.

Really, as inconvenient as you may think it is, there is nothing like using the navigation on a 9" or 12.9" screen compared to the stock car screens. Additionally, many of the navigation apps give you extra perks like traffic, points of interest, etc. I would still use an iPad in a rental vehicle over their option any day.

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Is that cup holder mount stable with the iPad in it? I’ve never seen one before.

I’ve been using my iPhone for rental car nav for six years. I have a colleague that uses his iPad mini when he travels alone. I think he turns the speaker up and puts it in the passenger seat.

CarPlay has no surcharge since it's integrated into the infotainment system, when it’s there. I always check for it, especially if I get a Ford, GM, or VW rental with touchscreen system.