What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Da iPad Pros are availables nows. :). They should be in stores, I checked my local Apple Store via the app and they are in stock.
My store in Little Rock doesn't have them. What am I worried about since the WAF is saying Xmas.

I was playing with demo models this weekend.

I'll say that I was a bit disappointed with the 120Hz screen after reading all the reviews. It was nice. But the improvement over an iPad was subtle. The whole "readable while scrolling" business is overblown I think.
I have only seen the original 9.7 iPad Pro in Sams and it wowed me. I was in immediate lust. Of course I'm comparing it to our iPad 2. ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm not saying it's a bad machine. But, the reviews have been over the moon about the new ProMotion 120Hz screen. It's good. But it's not obviously that profound an improvement.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Johnny, that's a surprise you have no stock. Of course I work in Silicon Valley, so maybe that's why we have stock. I checked again, the 10.5" and all the memory options are in stock.

Another member here pointed to this site that's really useful for finding Apple product stock in Apple Stores.

http://www.istocknow.com/live/#device.0=iPad&type.0=iPad Pro&size.1=10.50&brands=1&lowzoom=0&position=32.48641881233094, -103.80297704302598&zoom=4

WAF? Wife acceptance factor?
I had used Apple.com to see if it was in stock. I had only checked the the 12" screen and istocknow shows the store doesn't have it, but the store does have the 10" screen.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ahh, I assumed you were after the 10.5". I didn't check the 12.9" availability. For the 12.9", my local store shows It as available for pick-up July 20th! I tried all the colors and memory sizes. It will ship in one to two weeks if you order it. Wow, I didn't realize it was either that popular, or they made less of them knowing the 12.9" isn't as popular as the smaller size.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ahh, I assumed you were after the 10.5". I didn't check the 12.9" availability. For the 12.9", my local store shows It as available for pick-up July 20th! I tried all the colors and memory sizes. It will ship in one to two weeks if you order it. Wow, I didn't realize it was either that popular, or they made less of them knowing the 12.9" isn't as popular as the smaller size.
I will be doing the usual things on the iPad, like browsing the internet, reading mail, looking at photos. I will be wanting to run a painting or sketch program as a hobbyist (not a pro) to work on files that may have started in Photoshop on my iMac. I know I will want the apple pencil. That is why I've leaned towards the larger screen.

I can also see myself getting into the coloring book craze that is going around on the iPad.

Edit: I should emphasize that there is not a need (I will not go hungry) for the iPad Pro, but there is a lust for it. :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha! I didn't need the new 2017 iPad Pro either. I could say it was important for my professional work to have one. For evaluation purposes. :D

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I'm not saying it's a bad machine. But, the reviews have been over the moon about the new ProMotion 120Hz screen. It's good. But it's not obviously that profound an improvement.
To me the most evident improvement is screen visibility in bright sunlight. The 9.7" Pro was already much better than the Air 2, but the 10.5 Pro takes another giant step forward.

The motion stuff will have a much bigger impact when iOS 11 releases h.265 for video & photos - the only currently existing iOS devices that will support it with native hardware processing will be the iPhone 7 & new iPadPros

More broadly, iOS 11 will have a huge impact on iPads

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My wife and I went to the apple store to browse and walked out with...nothing. They are totally out of all the 12.9 in any configuration. We decided we wanted the space grey, 256gb, wifi only, apple pencil, and the logitech slim keyboard. They are all on order and the pencil and keyboard are available, but we'll pick up everything at once.

When we were there, if I had gone with the max memory, wifi and cellular, not space grey, I think they had one or two of those. Now using that stocking program, I see they are cleaned out.

I asked about a screen protector and he said those are 3rd party and not sold at apple. Darn, that's something I would like them to install. Maybe that kind of think isn't necessary anymore.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm now running the iOS 11 Public Beta on my 9.7" iPad Pro.

Observations:
* It seems very stable for an initial Public Beta. Of course, as advertised, all 32-bit apps are locked out. That's probably the main reason the beta is so stable.
* The new, enhanced, Multiuser "Slide Over" and "Split View" work very well with all apps launched from the tool bar. Some apps still don't support "Split VIew", but you can drag the "Slide Over" app all over the screen of the initial app which helps immensely when performing Drag-and-Drop.
* Drag-and-Drop support doesn't work yet between Excel and Word (and other MS Office programs). Of course, you can still cut-and-paste between the apps. Presumably, Microsoft will have this working by September.
* Drag-and-Drop works *great* with most Apple apps.
* If you have Word and Excel running together via Split View and you launch, say, Notes full screen, then when you switch back to either Word or Excel they both appear together just as you left them in Split View. It's almost like running multiple desktops in Windows 10.
* The new "Filer" still needs some work when hooking up with OneDrive, Dropbox, and Gdrive. Works great with iCloud.
* Everything is running nice and snappy even on the 9.7" iPad Pro. The only real bug I've found so far is dragging icons out of folders. Half the time they don't want to go to the desktop and somehow end up back in the folder. Also, you don't want to dock any folders onto the tool bar at this time.

Bottom Line: It seems stable enough to run now on iPad Pros. The main caveat would be if you need one of the locked-out 32 bit apps. Of course, there's always the chance that the app you need won't run so if you decide to take the leap be sure to fully back up your Pro via iTunes before installing the Beta.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have used four iPad Pros with the Pencil. I think if you just keep the grit off the glass of the screen and the Pencil tip, you don't need a screen protector. I usually wipe the screen and Pencil tip the first time I draw on the screen because I'm anal about keeping it clean. And if you use the Smart Cover or keyboard, the screen will be fine. I have not scratched any of my iPad Pro screens. And I used to always put a film protector on my earlier iPads and on my iPhones. For the iPhones I think it's more important to protect the screen given it's so mobile. For the iPad, I think the glass is going to be OK if you take some care. I also didn't want the film to alter the feel of the Pencil on the screen, it might add friction or make it even more slick.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm now running the iOS 11 Public Beta on my 9.7" iPad Pro.

Bottom Line: It seems stable enough to run now on iPad Pros. The main caveat would be if you need one of the locked-out 32 bit apps. Of course, there's always the chance that the app you need won't run so if you decide to take the leap be sure to fully back up your Pro via iTunes before installing the Beta.
Wouldn't most apps be 32 bit?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't most apps be 32 bit?

Actually, all apps that will run under iOS 11 have to be 64-bit.

It’s up to the publisher to upgrade any or all of their 32-bit apps to 64-bit. Unfortunately, many publishers have abandoned their apps over the years, so they will just be orphaned going forward.

To get a list of the incompatible 32-bit apps you may currently be running on your iOS 10.3.2 device, just go to
Settings–>About–>Applications

You may be surprised to see apps like “Google Earth” and “Bento” listed. Hopefully the publishers will update them prior to September.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Actually, all apps that will run under iOS 11 have to be 64-bit.

It’s up to the publisher to upgrade any or all of their 32-bit apps to 64-bit. Unfortunately, many publishers have abandoned their apps over the years, so they will just be orphaned going forward.

To get a list of the incompatible 32-bit apps you may currently be running on your iOS 10.3.2 device, just go to
Settings–>About–>Applications

You may be surprised to see apps like “Google Earth” and “Bento” listed. Hopefully the publishers will update them prior to September.
Actually, it's settings/general/applications.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have just realized the salesperson might have misled me a little about the Pro. He showed me one with Notepad and Safari in split screen mode, and I think he said that was available now. However, after reading Joseph's post about the Beta 11 release, I'm thinking that's what I was looking at, the Beta.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I have just realized the salesperson might have misled me a little about the Pro. He showed me one with Notepad and Safari in split screen mode, and I think he said that was available now. However, after reading Joseph's post about the Beta 11 release, I'm thinking that's what I was looking at, the Beta.

No, the salesman wasn’t misleading you: iOS 10 *does* feature both “split view” and “slide over”. It’s just that those features are implemented a little differently than in iOS 11. For example, there is no bottom screen tool bar to serve as a convenient launching point for the feature. Also, drag-and-drop between the two apps is not available.

In any event, iOS 11 should be out of Beta no later than mid-September so its avaibility shouldn’t be a deterrent to a iPad Pro purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks