What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No, the salesman wasn’t misleading you: iOS 10 *does* feature both “split view” and “slide over”. It’s just that those features are implemented a little differently than in iOS 11. For example, there is no bottom screen tool bar to serve as a convenient launching point for the feature. Also, drag-and-drop between the two apps is not available.

In any event, iOS 11 should be out of Beta no later than mid-September so its avaibility shouldn’t be a deterrent to a iPad Pro purchase.
Is the Beta version open to anyone, or is it invitation only?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It’s open to anyone. All you have to do is go to Apple.com and sign up:

https://www.idropnews.com/how-to/install-ios-11-public-beta-iphone-ipad/43842/

As I stated earlier in this thread, on the iPad Pro the current public beta seems very stable. (It's much more stable than running the beta on an iPhone 7, for example.) As advertised, all 32-bit apps are locked out. Some third party 64-bit apps run buggy on the beta, but are being updated rapidly by their developers for compatibility. For example, when I first installed the beta one of my favorite games – Farsight’s Pinball Arcade – crashed on launch. Just yesterday Farsight issued an update for their game specifically for iOS 11 which fixed the issue. Google's Chrome browser runs fine for the most part, but refuses to open links in a separate tab on a long tap of a link and doesn’t currently support drag-and-drop between apps. I’m sure Google will fix this soon, but in the meantime I'm running Safari exclusively which doesn’t have those issues. So those are the kinds of things you'll have to put up with between now and September. In my case, I feel it's worth it. All of my “go to” apps work well enough to be productive so I’m “good” for now. That doesn’t mean that the next update of the beta may become too unstable to use and force me to return to my iOS 10.3.2 backup. That’s the risk you take when running a beta.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Same here....waiting... My local Best Buy got a couple of Space Grey 256GB which were sold immediately. They are still waiting for delivery of new ones. It's been 3 weeks. Unfortunately we don't have Apple Stores here. At least with Best Buy with my elitePlus status I get cash back (credit certificates really) which helps upset my 11% tax.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have my new iPad Pro. So far I've mostly done email and internet stuff with it. I am writing this with the Logitech Slim Keyboard which I am liking. I'm sitting in my easy chair and have it on the right on my armrest. This thing is big and will require some adjusting too. The keyboard is great, though I've found myself creating a hybrid keyboard by using both the virtual keyboard and the Logitech.

I've noticed that there is MS Word and some others, I think, for free download with in app purchases. Anyone know how functional these apps are without the in app purchases?

The difference between this iPad and my iPad 2, is Model T to Corvette.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Some more thoughts about the Logitech Keyboard. Two problems. First is the I have a lot of words without a space between them. Probably my typing skills involved there. Second is that the backlighting goes out very quickly. When it's dark and I pause a little, it blacks out and I don't know exactly where the keys are. F and J have bumps on them, so I've just got to adapt to find those keys.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
By all accounts, Office on the iPad is good. But I wouldn't buy MS Office unless you have specific professional need for it or really want it for you own documents going forward.

Apple's iWork suite is good. And for general notes and miscellany the Notes app is great. There's also Google docs.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
By all accounts, Office on the iPad is good. But I wouldn't buy MS Office unless you have specific professional need for it or really want it for you own documents going forward.

Apple's iWork suite is good. And for general notes and miscellany the Notes app is great. There's also Google docs.
When I search for MS Office on the App Store I get Word, Excel and PowerPoint and separate apps, I don't see an Office available. They're all free with in app purchases, so I wonder how functional they are with spending any money.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I can’t speak for the functionality of the iOS MS Office apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Onenote) without the Office 365 Home subscription. With that subscription you get licenses for up to 5 iOS devices and 5 PC workstations. That’s what we use — and we get 1TB of shared OneDrive storage to boot.

In that configuration the productivity of the apps is through the roof as you can, for example, create a PowerPoint presentation on the PC; save it to OneDrive; and then open it and present it on the iPad. (Connected to a pixel projector if need be.). Or dash off a document in Word/Excel on the iPad; save the documents to OneDrive; and then spruce them up on the PC (if required).

Overall, it’s a very functional and productive package of apps.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Am I supposed to be able to use the Pencil in Notes? I can't get it to work. The Pencil is connected and I can use it notes to scroll but not to write. I've seen references to a squiggle at the bottom of Notes to enable the Pencil, but I've got no squiggle. Thoughts, anyone?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Johnny, I just tried Note to see what you are referring to. I am testing on the new 2017 iPad Pro 12.9". iOS is current. I do not have the Apple Keyboard or a third party keyboard.

When I launch Note, yes, I can only use the stylus to select. When I looked at the top edge of the onscreen keyboard, on the right, I see the squiggle. If I tap that, then the Notes app goes into sketch mode and you see the drawing tool menu and color menu at the bottom edge of the screen. This is the app I saw so much of when the iPad Pro first debut and the press was trying out, it took me forever to find it! Technically, I guess you can hand write notes here if you want.

I am curious too if there is an app that lets you hand write text too with the Pencil. I would guess it's a Wacom app, I'll have to see what I can learn if there is one.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was curious, so I messed around some more with Notes. Using the Pencil. I do see the squiggle icon on the lower right of the screen with the on screen keyboard off too. I just hand wrote this note. The only thing I find surprising If the palm rejection wasn't working very well, so if my finger touches the screen and the Pencil isn't really close to the screen, it leaves a mark. Maybe it's a setting.

IMG_0006.PNG

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thanks Nelson. I did a hard reset. Then opened an existing note with type already in it. The squiggle was at the bottom of the notes screen. Tapping that enabled the Pen, but on a new screen. There is no opportunity to markup the existing notes. Fool around with the Pen and hit done and I've got my Pen activity below the existing typed material.

This is limited functionality that might improve with OS 11.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I see what you mean. I give it a shot, to edit a note. Looks like you cannot sketch when the type is there. If you tap the squiggle, and start to sketch, you cannot see the text anymore, but then done, the sketch appears under the type.

Like you said, maybe the next iOS update will add more functionality here.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I’m running the iOS 11 public beta (now in its third update) on my 9.7” iPad Pro.
I can tell you that the functionality of the Notes app is vastly improved.

At the bottom of each Note — including already defined text Notes — is a “+” symbol. Pressing that invokes a pop up menu with options to include scanned documents, photos, videos, or sketches. If you choose “sketches” you’re taken to a blank page with just the last line of the already defined Note visible at the top. You can then use the Pencil for handwriting or drawing. When you’re finished with your sketch, pressing the “Done” button at the top returns you to the original Note with the new sketch at the bottom. The sketch can then be moved around and placed anywhere you want it in the Note. Pretty nifty!

By the way, scanned documents can be annotated with the Pencil as they are being imported into the Note.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’m running the iOS 11 public beta (now in its third update) on my 9.7” iPad Pro.
I can tell you that the functionality of the Notes app is vastly improved.

At the bottom of each Note — including already defined text Notes — is a “+” symbol. Pressing that invokes a pop up menu with options to include scanned documents, photos, videos, or sketches. If you choose “sketches” you’re taken to a blank page with just the last line of the already defined Note visible at the top. You can then use the Pencil for handwriting or drawing. When you’re finished with your sketch, pressing the “Done” button at the top returns you to the original Note with the new sketch at the bottom. The sketch can then be moved around and placed anywhere you want it in the Note. Pretty nifty!

By the way, scanned documents can be annotated with the Pencil as they are being imported into the Note.
From your description it still looks like you can't Markup the original note with the Pencil. A little disappointing. I'll probably end up using another app.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks