What's new

Could someone become Batman?... (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I would believe that Bernard Goetz was probably as close to a Punisher character as you could probably get.

In today's times I could see someone looking up registered sex offenders and sniping them as punishment. It wouldn't take much research at all to have a ready made hit list.

However you always have the Star Chamber factor. Someone who you just "KNOW" is guilty however is actually innocent.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Joe, regarding your superhero:

Did he wear a raincoat? Did he and water just not get along?

In case I'm right, here's my wink: ;)

----------------------------------------------

Of course, with the rise of a superhero, you'd have to have a supervillain.

Oh, wait... We already have Paris Hilton.

Never mind.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Joseph,
any real-life Batman couldn't rely too heavily on outside sources for his crime fighting info. Everything you mentioned, the private eye, the intel within the police department etc, would be quite risky I would imagine, and would only increase the chances for Bat's to be exposed and/or caught.

He's a loner, at least a real-life Batman would have to be I would think, however I suppose that he could utilize a police scanner, I see no harm there, but where would he put it? I guess he could have one in the Batmobile, if he had one. Only a police scanner could tell him when a random crime was happening somewhere in the city, so that really would be his only really useful tool for crime fighting, finding out where they're happening I mean.

Or as she's known by her evil alterego...Plastic Woman. ;)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Todd,
i'm guessing that it's either Unbreakable or The Punisher.

Although it can't be Unbreakable
because it had fantastical elements in it that render it too unreal for this discussion.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Holadem acknowledges that the movie doesn't quite fit the limits of this discussion while also pointing out the ways in which the story and character development do fit. Substitute Batman's acquired skills, physical conditioning knowledge and technology for the other character's innate abilities and the blueprint still works.

Brian:

I'm sure we're not thinking of the same film/character - because I have no idea who you have in mind. :)

Regards,

Joe

James T

Screenwriter
Batman can exist in the real world, it's just that no one is crazy enough to try it.

Bruce Wayne started training to be Batman since the age of 10(when his parents died). For nearly a decade Bruce would train both his body and mind to their peaks and maintain that. If you can keep that up for a few weeks, congrats. A few months, you're nuts. For the rest of your life...?

He's a billionaire. There's more than enough excuses for contacts, informants, gadgets, etc. Batman is what the criminals know him by, but when he's not wearing the cowl on the street and not going as Bruce Wayne, he has plenty of other aliases to help him out.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
It's illegal in the U.S. to get involved and take the law into your own hands.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do. Plus, it's not illegal until you get caught.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hey, why not....it worked for Blankman.

Yeah, costumed vigilantes running around attacking or perhaps even killing "criminals" when they don't really know if said people are guilty or not....that's what this country needs.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Drum roll....
Yeah, Unbreakable it is.
I agree with Joe's assessment of the movie.

In any case, I probably overstated the spoiler aspect of things: The possibility of the protagonist being a super hero is introduced half an hour into the film and we spend the rest of the movie wanting it to be true, regardless of the eventual outcome.

--
H

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Unbreakable

That really is one of my favorite superhero movies. :emoji_thumbsup:
Maybe my all time fav...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Sorry,
I cannot agree that Unbreakable
works for our purposes here.

Bruce Willis, while an everyman in the film with a wife and son, had super strength, no one in real life has super strength, thus that film doesn't qualify IMO.

The reason Batman was chosen for this topic was that there is nothing fantastical about him, so a person in real life could, in theory, become him if they wanted to.

If Unbreakable
qualifies, we might as well ask if someone in real life could become Superman.

Doesn't work.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Not at all, I just don't think that the film works on any level for this discussion, even those that Joe mentioned.

It may have been a realistic tale of how a regular Joe becomes a superhero, but the instant they brought super strength into the equasion, any realism the film had goes out the window.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
$500 at Radio Shack gets any prospective superhero this:

Digital Trunking Handheld Scanner

This handheld scanner has an abundant memory capacity, able to store frequencies in 5500 memory channels. Plus, you can store up to 16,500 ID codes in one "working" 500 channel, 1500 ID code scanner with 11 "virtual" scanner pages of memory! This scanner follows APCO 25 digital and virtually all analog Motorola¨ and GE/Ericsson EDACS trunked systems. More and more cities are using these trunked systems, allowing city services to share the same set of scanner frequencies. Conversations on these systems start on one frequency, then shift to a different one with each transmission. This scanner can follow these systems. Patent Pending.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
The sad thing is that I've thought of this question before.

Yes, someone COULD be the Batman, but he'd be remarkably different from the movie. The law of gravity is just one item that would affect Batman - it would greatly reduce the effectiveness of his harpoon gun.

And once he became even remotely famous, there would be people determined to learn his secret identity and would set about to either trap/capture or most likely, kill him. Rigging a building to denotate and setting a trap for him inside and he's toast.

So, either there'd have to be an "army" of Batmen or he'd have to keep his identity a secret from all - keeping even his Batman identity secret would give him a better chance for survival but it would essentially remove the #1 benefit for being a superhero - striking fear in the hearts of criminals.

Oh, and one other thing - when he was famous, others - especially criminals would dress up as him, also destroying any credibility he could gain with law officials or the public.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks