What's new

Could someone become Batman?... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering. If their was a person with great wealth, determination and physical ability. Could they become Batman? Also, how would people, media and government react?

I believe it would be possible. I think people would take it like a joke. The media would the same. Until he made some big bust. Then it would go after who the person was and I think find out. The government would do the same.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Brett beat me to it.

Batman wouldn't last a minute in the real world. One or two bullets would be enough. :D

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
This topic doesn't interest me very much. What *I* want to know is, could there be a CATWOMAN? And what is her hourly rate? :)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I read this news story about a woman who basically did all the training that a person would need to be a superhero like Batman: criminology, martial arts, demolitions, working her butt off in school and getting multiple college degrees, etc. IIRC, it turned out in the end that she had a lot of emotional problems and wasn't really prepared to function in the real world like a normal person. She didn't have much of a crime-fighting career.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
in all seriousness, i really think there could be one!

there are people out there with amazing physical ability. combine that with all sorts of cool hi-tech gear, bullet-proof clothing, etc ... sure! all it would take is money.

the media would definitely clamp on. kinda like we would first start hearing rumors about some super-hero (to which everyone would laugh). until, one day, our super-hero does something totally amazing, which is caught on film, etc. then the media would be all over it like white-on-rice.

of course, i think the hardest part would be figuring out how to maintain his secret identity ... in this day and age i think that could be difficult.

i think just put too much thought into this...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
All superhero depictions are idealized and romanticized. No real world person can possibly be like them as seen in the comics or movies.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I think superheros in the real world would be more like those in Ben Edlund's The Tick:

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Oh come on now, thats not even a proper Riddle, its not even a question!

BTW: Didn't the real life batman get arrested for hanging signs on the Royal Palace earlier this year?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Wasn't it in The Dark Knight Returns that Frank Miller had Batman off-handedly reveal that the torso of his costume was bulletproof? ("Why do you think I wear this big yellow bull's eye on my chest?")

Real-life "Batman" would end up in the psych ward pretty quickly.

Later,

Joe

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I doubt it. The technology isn't there. And people are much more frail than in movies/comics. A bullet to the neck, a key to the eye, and the person's life as superhero is over.

Even if there were a Batman, or other superhero, who is his enemy? There aren't singular persons wreaking mayhem upon our cities. Even if one wrought tragedy on Gotham, or NYC, the rest of the nation continues.

The "enemies" to regular life these days are amorphous and inscrutable to a solitary superhero. They are consumers shopping themselves out of jobs. They are corporations profiting their wealthiest customers out of homes and jobs. They are unions bargaining themselves into irrelevancy.

What is Batman to do here?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks