What's new

The Art of The Movie Poster (1 Viewer)

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Yes, I have display books containing my lobby cards, and have each book typically devoted to a specific studio's product, like Columbia, Republic, Universal, etc., with each one presenting the cards in chronological order. It's nice to see the similar designs and art-styles of the cards from the same studios and same eras, and observe how they change a bit over time. I have one book also devoted to poverty-row studios (Chesterfield, Majestic, Sono Art, etc.), and two others devoted to silents, which are not studio-specific.

I always wanted to get around to putting together a book of lobby-cards from Lippert productions, as I have a fair number of them, but it's just something I never got around to doing. I've bought very little in recent years. Most of my collecting was in the 1980s/1990s, when I used to attend a fair number of memorabilia shows.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Always loved the posters on this film this one was ruined by all the folds
1671827156073.png

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Almost every poster from the teens, 20s, 30s and 40s are in private hands. What you buy is usually garbage. If FORBIDDEN PLANET on Linen goes for $20K, then you know the older ones are beyond most collectors pocket books.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
If FORBIDDEN PLANET on Linen goes for $20K, then you know the older ones are beyond most collectors pocket books.

If you're suggesting that anything older than FORBIDDEN PLANET would automatically sell for even more, that's incorrect. Horror and Sci-fi are often the hottest poster collectibles, but there are literally thousands of great posters from 1920-1955 that could be purchased at auctions for well within the $500-$2000 range. They're just not always the top-tier titles that everyone wants.

Forbidden Planet and Creature From The Black Lagoon are by far two of the most in-demand and most expensive posters of the 1950's on the collector's market. Forbidden has a great image of Robbie The Robot and Creature has great art of the creature carrying Julia Adams. A majority of titles from that decade sell for peanuts compared to those two.

And one other title from the 50's sells for huge money compared to how artistically insignificant the movie is, but the image is wonderful. ( and the insert now hangs on my wall )

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpeg
    IMG_0217.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Almost every poster from the teens, 20s, 30s and 40s are in private hands. What you buy is usually garbage. If FORBIDDEN PLANET on Linen goes for $20K, then you know the older ones are beyond most collectors pocket books.

Can you define what you mean by garbage?

Are you referring to the material of the poster or something else?

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
If you're suggesting that anything older than FORBIDDEN PLANET would automatically sell for even more, that's incorrect. Horror and Sci-fi are often the hottest poster collectibles, but there are literally thousands of great posters from 1920-1955 that could be purchased at auctions for well within the $500-$2000 range. They're just not always the top-tier titles that everyone wants.

Forbidden Planet and Creature From The Black Lagoon are by far two of the most in-demand and most expensive posters of the 1950's on the collector's market. Forbidden has a great image of Robbie The Robot and Creature has great art of the creature carrying Julia Adams. A majority of titles from that decade sell for peanuts compared to those two.

And one other title from the 50's sells for huge money compared to how artistically insignificant the movie is, but the image is wonderful. ( and the insert now hangs on my wall )

That is a brilliant poster from an artistic perspective and also a marketing aspect too. Tells you everything you need to know about the movie in that one image.

Was not aware Forbidden Planet and Creature From The Black Lagoon were the most sought after by collectors from that decade.

It is surprising to me how some posters are cheaply valued. Like most markets they take on a life of their own and sometimes you just can't rationalize it. There are plenty of great posters out there but I think sometimes collectors get caught up in the madness particularly when markets go insane especially with specific items. It's a phenomena beyond human reasoning in some respects.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Great poster for a bizarre movie-This is hanging in my house along with A Clockwork Orange, Raiders of The Lost Ark, Aliens, Silence of The Lambs, frenzy, Yellow Submarine, The Thing among others

Attachments

• 1E25D178-BF1C-4053-BFA1-FAD9F035B55C.jpeg
    1E25D178-BF1C-4053-BFA1-FAD9F035B55C.jpeg
    348.4 KB · Views: 46

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Great poster for a bizarre movie-This is hanging in my house along with A Clockwork Orange, Raiders of The Lost Ark, Aliens, Silence of The Lambs, frenzy, Yellow Submarine, The Thing among others

That's an interesting poster.

I actually enjoyed the movie. Despite it's peculiarity very intriguing and watchable.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I just happened to look on ebay to see if there was an original poster for the 1945 brilliant movie "Detour".

There is one for sale priced at a eye watering sum of $4,500 so it appears that "Forbidden Planet" and sci-fi are not the only sought after posters from that older era.

It's a beautiful poster too:

A bit out of my price range but would have no problem with that in a frame on my home wall.

jbirdp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Pascucci
I’ve been a movie poster fan since the 70s after purchasing several repros from Pier One Imports in the 70s. Since then I’ve collected several originals and several of the S2 Art Of The Movies lithographs, but mostly I’ve collected thousands of high-quality poster images courtesy of Heritage Auctions and restored them. Restoring them entails removing gold lines, tears and imperfections using a Photoshop-like program, replacing yellowed borders with white ones, and boosting the faded colors. It’s been a labor of love. I posted a few samples in a Boris Karloff discussion here but will post a few before and after samples as well as some of my all-time favorites. Coming soon!

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I’ve been a movie poster fan since the 70s after purchasing several repros from Pier One Imports in the 70s. Since then I’ve collected several originals and several of the S2 Art Of The Movies lithographs, but mostly I’ve collected thousands of high-quality poster images courtesy of Heritage Auctions and restored them. Restoring them entails removing gold lines, tears and imperfections using a Photoshop-like program, replacing yellowed borders with white ones, and boosting the faded colors. It’s been a labor of love. I posted a few samples in a Boris Karloff discussion here but will post a few before and after samples as well as some of my all-time favorites. Coming soon!

Looking forward to that jbird.

Are those thousands originals?

jbirdp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Pascucci
Sorry, Blu Eye, thousands of restored poster images, not originals posters. Still, I’m mighty proud of my work and my collection. I have folder of favorites that I use as a slideshow screensaver on my computer and sometimes I just sit watching them scroll by and say, “Ahhhhh.”

I’ll post some samples tomorrow.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Sorry, Blu Eye, thousands of restored poster images, not originals posters. Still, I’m mighty proud of my work and my collection. I have folder of favorites that I use as a slideshow screensaver on my computer and sometimes I just sit watching them scroll by and say, “Ahhhhh.”

I’ll post some samples tomorrow.

What have been restored?

Reprints? Not sure what you mean by "poster image".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks