What's new

The Art of The Movie Poster (1 Viewer)

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
As someone who has started collecting movie posters in the last year, it would be interesting to see if others at HTF collect too and how they choose the posters they buy to add to their collection.

I am finding it a fascinating subject as not only does a movie poster need to be designed in relation to marketing but in my view some really are works of art.

In relation to my own personal collection, I have purchased posters of movies that not only I personally like but the poster needs to be interesting from a creative perspective in relation to colour, composition and many other aspects. I try to avoid movies that sold very well at the box office and go for more less recognized movies. For some reason I cannot manage to buy a movie poster of a bad movie I don't personally like even if the poster is interesting.

So far, I have only purchased 5 or 6 and they are either Australian or American. I do really like Polish and Czech posters and many other European releases but they are commanding very high prices currently. My purchases so far have all been under £50 and bought off ebay. Personally, I think they will be good investments and expect that many posters from the 70s, 80s, 90s will get to high prices in 10 or 20 years time.

My reasoning for this is based on a few things.

Firstly, I expect movies to be produced in lesser quantities in the future as it appears cinema is on the decline due to many factors. If that comes to fruition it may become the case that people feel nostalgic for older movies made from prior decades and start to buy all kinds of memorabilia.

Secondly, when you see insane prices for NFTs and worthless crypto currencies currently then real, tangible and in some cases fairly rare movie posters will sell for higher prices especially with some popular movies that have interesting designs.

Lastly, movies are a popular medium that many people enjoy so it only makes a lot of sense that posters will become sought after. Actually, we can see that already as some movie posters sell for up-to $1,000 or so. I expect this trend to continue and then some.

In fact, I must say that in my opinion I think some posters are really really cheap to my surprise. You can pick up original movie posters such as Dr. Strangelove for less than a $1,000 which I think is good value. You are getting a piece of movie history for very modest prices.

Obviously, value is subjective but I think you will understand the point I am trying to make. Furthermore, if someone offered to buy my posters for 3 or 4 times what I paid for them I don't think I would be tempted to sell them. This tells me that they are good value although that is not a sophisticated method for determining value.

The aim of this thread is to encourage people to voice their own opinion on what they think is a good movie poster and any other thing they want to say on the subject.

I want people to add a picture of a poster which they personally think is a work of art and why. It will be interesting to see posters from all over the world and the differences in style, colours and the choice of words chosen to sell the movie in different languages from the marketing angle.

It would also be nice for people to upload a picture of a poster from their collection. It doesn't have to be the actual poster in a frame. Just an uploaded jpeg of the original poster design from the internet is fine.

Looking forward to seeing how this thread develops.

Last edited:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
This French original of "A Clockwork Orange" is a poster I really like.

I prefer posters where the artwork is designed by a painter as opposed to just a printed computer image of the movie etc.

Attachments

• A Clockwork Orange poster -french.jpg
    A Clockwork Orange poster -french.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 37

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Here is a picture of a poster from my collection.

"Shy People" from the 1980s.

Again the artwork is painted (or drawn) by an artist.

Attachments

• shy-people-movie-poster.jpg
    shy-people-movie-poster.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 32

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
@ Thomas T

Really like that.

Do you own any from that era?

If so, How much did you pay?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
@ Thomas T

Really like that. Do you own any from that era? If so, How much did you pay?
While I love movie posters and have several books on them (Hang 'Em High, a coffee table book of western movie posters is terrific), I only own two movie posters which hang on a wall (sorry the photo isn't better):
IMG_E4259 (2).JPG

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
1671766292618.png

what hangs on the wall, but have to agree with Thomas, poster art used to be an actual art form, even if that was no where in the film

The Sin of Nora Moran is a great example

the-sin-of-nora-moran-movie-cover.jpg
the-sin-of-nora-moran-movie-poster.jpg

yes it's precode but defiantly not that risque

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
@ OLDTIMER

Just had a quick look on ebay and see an American original poster of the movie is selling for $500.

Hold on to it. It will go up in value.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I have just stumbled upon a remarkable variety of movie posters for sale of Cuban origin of all places in the world on ebay.

I will just quote the description from their listings:

"The Cuban government agency in charge of the distributions of foreign and national films used to design posters for every movie that was shown in theaters in the last decades of the XX Century. They made an entire art form out of it and Cuban posters became famous worldwide and collected prizes and praises from all around the world."

They are absolutely mad. Check out this Cuban version of "O Lucky Man" starring Malcolm McDowell.

They are all completely abstract which I love.

If anyone can provide any books on Cuban film posters that would be great.

Had no idea of them. I wonder if most of these were designed by the same person? Who'd have thought Cuba could produce such interesting art?

Attachments

• s-l500 (4).jpg
    s-l500 (4).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
No idea what movie this represents but it's another Cuban.

Attachments

• cuba 3.jpg
    cuba 3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 25

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
For anyone interested the link to the ebay seller is here:

They all seem to be reproductions so no originals.

My guess is the originals sell for big bucks.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
@ Thomas T.

Never heard of that book on western movie posters.

Will definitely check that out especially as I like Western movies.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
@ dana martin

When in your opinion do you think the movie poster design lost its luster?

Can you also give your opinion on why you think they are no longer art?

Going by posters of the last 20 years or so it does look as though there is not much creative input. A lot look as though they have just been printed from a computer software program by a minimum wage employee with no interest in movies.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
@ dana martin

Is that an original of "Shall We Dance" you have or a reproduction?

Must be worth over $1,000 if original.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I think this design of "After Hours" is a brilliant effort.

Was thinking about buying this one as an admirer of the movie too.

My guess this is more graphic design as opposed to a painter being commissioned to design the poster for the movie.

However, despite this it manages to capture the mood, humour and style of the movie in a very witty and interesting way.

Attachments

• s-l500 (5).jpg
    s-l500 (5).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 26

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I never concentrated my memorabilia collecting on one-sheets, as they demand a lot of wall space in order to be enjoyed. But I have a dozen or more I picked up over the years, and I'll simply thumbtack them to the walls, changing them out every now and then. I've tended to have a lot of posters of series films displayed, like "Charlie Chan in City in Darkness" (1939), "Blondie in Society" (1941), and the Jungle Jim film "Jungle Moon Men" (1955).

Initially I wasn't too fond of the tall, narrow 'insert' posters (14x36), but I found by grouping three together, lined-up, they can make for an attractive display. I have three Republic insert posters displayed this way, of

"The Blonde Bandit" (1950)
"The Mysterious Mr. Valentine" (1946)
"Women from Headquarters" (1950)

But overall, when I was collecting, I put most my efforts on lobby-cards, and accumulated several hundred of them. The ones from the late-20s to mid-30s tend to be the most attractive, often sporting marvelous border artwork. Plus, the title-cards are basically mini movie-posters in themselves. I have title-cards for films like Buck Jones' "Unknown Valley" (1933) and George O'Brien's "Smoke Lightning" (1933). And some scene cards to Harold Lloyd's "For Heaven's Sake" (1926) and "Speedy" (1928). I think I have a pretty nifty variety in my collection, and I always made sure to get high-grade examples. Two of my oldest are cards to "Beyond" (1921) with Ethel Clayton, and "The Lone Hand" (1922) with Hoot Gibson, and they are both in rather perfect condition.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I never concentrated my memorabilia collecting on one-sheets, as they demand a lot of wall space in order to be enjoyed. But I have a dozen or more I picked up over the years, and I'll simply thumbtack them to the walls, changing them out every now and then. I've tended to have a lot of posters of series films displayed, like "Charlie Chan in City in Darkness" (1939), "Blondie in Society" (1941), and the Jungle Jim film "Jungle Moon Men" (1955).

Initially I wasn't too fond of the tall, narrow 'insert' posters (14x36), but I found by grouping three together, lined-up, they can make for an attractive display. I have three Republic insert posters displayed this way, of

"The Blonde Bandit" (1950)
"The Mysterious Mr. Valentine" (1946)
"Women from Headquarters" (1950)

But overall, when I was collecting, I put most my efforts on lobby-cards, and accumulated several hundred of them. The ones from the late-20s to mid-30s tend to be the most attractive, often sporting marvelous border artwork. Plus, the title-cards are basically mini movie-posters in themselves. I have title-cards for films like Buck Jones' "Unknown Valley" (1933) and George O'Brien's "Smoke Lightning" (1933). And some scene cards to Harold Lloyd's "For Heaven's Sake" (1926) and "Speedy" (1928). I think I have a pretty nifty variety in my collection, and I always made sure to get high-grade examples. Two of my oldest are cards to "Beyond" (1921) with Ethel Clayton, and "The Lone Hand" (1922) with Hoot Gibson, and they are both in rather perfect condition.

I didn't like the 14 x 36 initially either but gradually they grew on me. I have a couple in my collection.

Some look better in that size than the standard of the same movie. The design can in some cases compliment that size better than in the original size.

Do you put the lobby cards in a frame or have them in a nice looking certificate holder type book?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks