What's new

Could someone become Batman?... (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
heck, the dude could wear some neck cowl doohickey complete with shatter-proof eye cover thing-a-ma-jigs. i'm sure that technology is available right now.

again, we're talking about someone in amazing shape with a boatload of money ... not an average dork like me.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Right. It isn't like there are muggings, rapes, car thefts, home invasions, bank robberies, or - heaven forbid - terrorists to worry about. No, our "enemies" are Visa and Mastercard and the Vast Corporate Conspiracy (tm) :)

Regards,

Joe

Marc Bax

Second Unit
When I was a kid I seriously had plans to build an Iron Man suit. Sadly jet packs aren't as affordable as I'd hoped.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This is one of the more interesting questions i've come across. When you break it all down, there really isn't any reason why someone couldn't physically take on the mantle of the Dark Knight in one of our real life cities.

As stated, though, he would most likely be thought a nut job by everyone at first, but after a while, and after saving a few lives, I believe he would be accepted. The one thing that prevents this from happening are the authorities, they wouldn't tolerate a real Batman, they frown on vigilantism and would be pursuing him like mad until he's in custody.

Also, unlike comics, no one would fall for his dual identity, if he had one, nobody would be that stupid IRL, it wouldn't take someone long to put 2 and 2 together. No, in order for our real Batman to work, he would have to be known only as Batman, no in the public spotlight persona such as Bruce Wayne.

Lastly, let's talk about worthy foes for our hero to fight, as noted, real life has no one arch criminal that is responsable for all the crime in a given city, and going after gangs would be too risky, he wouldn't last the night. The only organization that I can plauasably see him fighting is the mob, making it his sole purpose in life to rid our city(s) of organized crime. I can see that possibly working if one put's enough energy and dedication into it. For our real-world purposes, the mob is the closest thing we have to the villians in the comics and movies.

This thread is great, makes me wonder...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
As far as I know, there isn't much of a mob presence in the U.S. anymore, at least none that would really give Batman a challenge. He'd be better off fighting mobs in India and Hong Kong.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

True.

I think the last vigilante that has any basis in history that was hailed as a hero was ...
Robin Hood, who operated around the mid-15th century.

It turns out that even Zorro, who could definitely have existed, was a product of turn-of-the-century pulp fiction.

I love the Batman character in almost all of his incarnations (graphic novels, TV, movies); but I always think of him as existing in some 'alternate universe' somewhere.

It's just easier that way!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Could a single man have found and eliminated bin Laden, dismantled al Quaeda, and prevented 9/11? I don't believe so.

And in terms of the challenges our social structure faces, political and economic forces are more powerful than the rare terrorist attack. And a batman has even less ability there against the vague, spread out trends of a nation.

Ok, I'm gone the rest of the week. I look forward to being shown wrong when I return. Todd, when you're rich and (in)famous dark knight, I'll be proud to have been the naysayer. :)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Superheroes feel a lot less super without an awesome soundtrack to back them up during their super feats.

Would be cool anyways though. :D

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Take this question one step further. How would the "real" world react if someone did dress up in a costume and actually had real superpowers?

Thats so true...Maybe, he can bring along an ipod with some speakers he can play during his exploits. :D

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

Actually, that scenario is a lot more plausible than there being a real-life Batman. There are certain individuals in cities who are known to be criminal leaders whom the police don't have the evidence to touch. Someone could conceivably go around killing them, assuming they could get around their bodyguards. You'd have to be really talented at killing to do that, though, and you probably wouldn't be seen as much of a hero (granted, the Punisher isn't really a superhero anyways).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
again, not necessarily. i've seen plenty of shows on tdc, etc ... where they show this hi-tech advanced body armor ... super-light-weight, etc.

again, don't forget we're talking about someone with huge financial resources, access to advanced technogy, etc. the only question i have is who is gonna operate the bat-signal?

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
This locally-filmed movie explores this question:
http://www.captainblasto.com/
Captain Blasto follows the story of Colin Carter, a high school outcast, who decides to break free from his lonely life and become what he's always wanted to be: a super-hero. He'll play the hero of his childhood, Captain Blasto, and foil all the town robberies. Staged robberies of course.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
The newest film said that it was bullet resistant but couldn't take a direct close range shot. Only a matter of time before he takes a bullet, if not to the chest, to the head.

Now if someone was bitten by a radioactive spider.... ;)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
You know, there is a recent movie (last 5 years) that explores the genesis of a "realisitc" superhero (quotes 'cause he's got superpowers), but the very mention of the flick would be a spoiler.

Anyway, if you know the movie I speak of, wink ;).

--
H

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

That's another thing, any real-life Batman would get zero help from city officials, so the answer is no one will be operating the bat signal.

Batman would have to prowl the streets every night on his own and hope that a crime happens in his presence.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The closest we've gotten to that is a guy with his own theme song in an ING commercial.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks