What's new

Cary Grant: The Complete Filmography - Watching All Of His Movies (2 Viewers)

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Sean, that's a great box set. It's also got titles I don't have yet. Ok, you sold me. :) The only double dip will be for the Criterion Only Angels Have Wings.
giphy.gif

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Sean, that's a great box set. It's also got titles I don't have yet. Ok, you sold me. :) The only double dip will be for the Criterion Only Angels Have Wings.

That's the box set I have too. It's superb. You get some unique extras on those DVD's as well. I have TCM's Blu-Ray of "Only Angels Have Wings", which came out only a couple of years ago. The picture quality is great (and seems lighter than the Criterion) and the extras are exclusive, if not that plentiful compared to Criterion's. So I triple-dipped, but what else can you do in 2016? Not triple-dip?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've also got that five movie set - got a used copy on eBay for $10. The case was a little worn but the discs were fine, and since I really only needed it for two movies (Awful Truth and Holiday), I didn't mind.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I thought I was a Cary Grant fan, but I never noticed him in "Star Trek 2".

Really? I can still hear him right now with his unique voice and distinctive delivery...

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round perdition's flames before I give him up!"
(Ricary Grantalban - That Touch of Khan)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh's wonderful thread caused me to take out Indiscreet the other night, and I really enjoyed seeing it again. I'll probably revisit Notorious soon since Cary and Ingrid have such wonderful chemistry together.

I'm looking forward to rewatching Notorious - I've seen it before, even in 35mm, but the Blu-ray will be a new viewing experience for me. My fiance's never seen it, and I feel like this is one of the classics not just for Grant but also for Hitchcock and Bergman, so I'm waiting until she's got time to check it out before I watch it.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
And don't forget the incomparable Claide Rains.

Notorious is an all-time favorite and it may be Grant's best performance in terms of growing and changing as a character over the course of the story. No spoilers until the official review, but he really plumbs the depths before finding his heroism there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
No kidding Lee. :)

In the 1990's I was really into laserdisc so I discovered several Hitchcock films that way. I used to go to a mom and pop laserdisc store that would buy back discs and re sell them used. I picked up quite a few of the Universal Hitchcocks including The Birds and Vertigo (pre Robert Harris restoration) I happen to be there the day someone sold back his Criterion copy of Notorious. As many of you know, the Criterion laserdiscs in the day were not cheap. So I was lucky to be there, and see a customer sell it back, so I was able to pick up Notorious for a great deal. I think it was the very first time I'd seen it. It's also became one of my favorites that Cary did. And Ingrid Bergman and Claude Rains are great in it too. I guess Criterion can't get the rights now for a blu-Ray release. The MGM blu-ray is a very nice disc though. When I last watched it, it was the first time I'd seen it on my new larger display and I was surprised to see new stuff happening in the titles sequence. Hopefully that's not a spoiler and I don't think it is . :)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
TCM Shop has a Warner Archive sale on right now, for any of you interested in the Cary Grant titles that were only ever released on DVD by Warner Archive. I can't get the link in their email to work, but just go over to TCM.com the discount is "up to 40%".

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In looking at that site, TCM, I was just searching around and while I'm not sure I was at the right site with the sale, I did see several Grant titles. One was The Philidelphia Story. I remembered I have a copy and when I dug it up, it's actually one of the early DVD releases of the format, dated 1997 from MGM. In the snapper case too. So in looking at the TCM site, and then Amazon, I see there was a 2 disc special edition and a single disc edition that is available for under $10. The two disc looked OOP. I think one is remastered. I imagine the newer releases might have a nicer transfer then the one I have.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As far as Warner Archive MOD titles go, I highly recommend Crisis (despite the ancient video master) and also recommend Mr. Lucky. Once Upon A Honeymoon is a little weird but worth a look if you don't mind some drama mixed in with your comedy. And if they have Bogart onsale, I loved Battle Circus.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Bryon, the extras do sound good. There's a new 2 disc copy of Philidelphia for $118. Or a used copy for much less, and I think I'll consider the brand new 1 disc release.

Thanks Josh for the MOD recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks