What's new

Top 10 discs to complete our collections (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
As suggested by Luis (cineMANIAC) in the 'Best Buy' thread.

Thinking about this over Christmas, it really focuses the mind to pick just 10. In compiling my list, I have made the assumption that Three Little Words and High Society are already in the pipeline. Therefore, in date order these are my most wanted blu rays:

1. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)

2. Follow Me Quietly (1949)

3. The Narrow Margin (1952)

4. Rogue Cop (1954)

5. Artists and Models (1955)

6. Slightly Scarlet (1956)

7. The Best Things in Life Are Free (1956)

8. The Sundowners (1960)

9. The Naked Edge (1961)

10. The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My wishlist

The Ref
Great Expectations (not released in the USA)
Criterion BluRay of This Is Spinal Tap
(with the commentaries carried over)
Ruthless People
Nothing To Lose (amusing Tim Robbins/
Martin Lawrence comedy- non-anamorphic DVD)
Waking Ned Devine (non-anamorphic DVD)
Saving Grace (I don’t think this one has been released on BluRay)

Will probably think of more.

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
My list are films that are still on VHS, laserdisc or old dvd releases:

1) UFOria
2) The Castle (1968)
3) A Boy 10 Feet Tall (Sammy Going South)
4) Real Life (Albert Brooks)
5) The Luck of Ginger Coffey
6) Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors
7) Hollywood: A Celebration of American Silent Film
8) Kafka (1991)
9) Big Deal on Madonna Street
10) Who's Minding the Mint

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
In no particular order, I have 2 lists of 10. Most have made it to DVD, but all cry for HD upgrades.
The first 10 would be fine on regular Blu Ray, and since these are wish lists, the second 10 could go to 4K and look really fantastic!

10 "MIA" BLU RAY TITLES
Dante's Inferno (Spencer Tracy)
Charge at Feather River (3D)
Joy in the Morning (R. Chamberlain)
Riddle of the Sands
The Secret Garden (1993)
Summer Magic
Tammy Tell Me True
Till the End of Time
Titan AE
The Waltz King (Disney)

DVD'S THAT COULD SHINE IN 4K
Goodbye Mr Chips (Peter O'toole)
Paint Your Wagon
Around the World in 80 Days
The Cardinal
Music Lovers
Half a Sixpence
High Society (Stereo)
Lil Abner
Possession (Paltrow/Eckhart)
Seven Faces of Dr. Lao

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, so just ten (that concentrates the mind), in no order:

Scaramouche (1952) - my most wanted swashbuckler.
What A Carve Up (1961) - there's quite a few British b/w comedies still M.I.A.
She (1965 Hammer) - not a great film, but I like it, & enjoyed it at the pictures all those years ago.
The Ruling Class (1972) - an Oscar winning turn from Peter O'Toole...or should have been.
Catch-22 - so where the hell is it?
Start The Revolution Without Me (1970) - I loved this at the cinema & still do, I watch the DVD around once a year.
The Big Sky (1952) - I'm not feeling good about one this ever appearing.
The Mask Of Fu Manchu (1932) - a real camp classic, delightfully politically incorrect. I have the DVD from the Warner set, but would love a Blu-ray.
Barabbas )1961) - I loved this at the cinema, & I think that was the last time I saw it looking good: the Film Noir of ancient world epics.
The Charge Of The Light Brigade (1968) - This is the only title on the list that's had a previous Blu-ray release, but god, it looked so awful & can't possibly count.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
In no particular order, I have 2 lists of 10. Most have made it to DVD, but all cry for HD upgrades.
The first 10 would be fine on regular Blu Ray, and since these are wish lists, the second 10 could go to 4K and look really fantastic!

DVD'S THAT COULD SHINE IN 4K
Paint Your Wagon
Lil Abner
Good news Indy, Paint Your Wagon 4K is coming from Kino early next year (no release date yet). I'd also love Li'l Abner (I still have the DVD), but it didn't quite make the cut on my list.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Raintree County (most wanted blu-ray)
Titanic (4k) redone!
True Lies (4k) redone!
The Abyss (4k) redone!
Terminator 2 (4k) redone!
The Terminator (4k) (with original audio)
Star Wars (theatrical cut)
The Empire strikes back (theatrical cut)
Return of the Jedi (theatrical cut)
Amadeus (theatrical cut) (4k)

of these, unfortunately only the first and last are liable to be released!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm sorry to say that ten discs would not bring my collection to completion. However I'm very, very pleased to say that two Holy Grails for me are coming. In a few days from now I'll have The Hell With Heroes in my hand and by the end of March Meet John Doe will also be mine. In addition Kino are releasing Black Tuesday as part of a box-set and that's another title I've wanted since the early days of DVD.

Even though I want and need far more than ten further discs, I would particularly appreciate Barabbas, Lord Jim, You Were Never Lovelier, Meet Me In Las Vegas, The Flame And The Flesh, Swing High, Swing Low, Bolero (the George Raft/Carole Lombard version) The Miracle, Last Summer and Bandidos.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
10 is impossible!

Blu-rays awaiting a better transfer:

4D Man (DVD Washed Out)
A History Of Violence (DNR)
All The President’s Men
Babel
Blade Runner (4K good, 2K bad)
Breakheart Pass (Blu crushed blacks)
Count Of Monte Cristo, The (Blu soft)
Deep End, The (edge enhancement etc)
Dog Day Afternoon
Funeral In Berlin
Heist
La Terra Trema
Longest Day, The (DNR}
Network
Open Your Eyes (BDR, burnt in subtitles)
Platoon
Prefontaine
Reindeer Games
Suspect
Telefon
Wonder Boys, The

DVDs awaiting Blu-ray transfer:

All The King’s Men (1947)
Beans of Egypt Maine AKA Forbidden Choices
Big Caper
Blue Ice
Captain Horatio Hornblower
Egyptian, The
Fourth Protocol
Girl In The Headlines
Hell Is A City (poor DVD print)
Hero’s Island
High Treason
Northwest Passage
Ploughman’s Lunch (poor HD print)
Solaris (2002)
Spartan
Strange Days (poor UK Blu-ray)
Statement, The

I've posted this list many times over the years with little change. Let me know of updates!

Reactions: PMF

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
---GOODBYE MR CHIPS [1969]----PENNIES FROM HEAVEN---WHOS LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?---THE BUTCHER BOY--CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD.---DANCE WITH ME.---SAME TIME NEXT YEAR--UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE.---PLAY IT AGAIN SAM.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I forgot a couple of Michael Winner sixties films (Universal) that I'd very much like (I saw & loved them both at the cinema):

The Jokers (1967) - staring Oliver Reed & Michael Crawford, a fun heist film that I don't think has had any home cinema release.

I'll Never Forget What's'isname (1967) - staring Oliver Reed, I think it's Winner's best film (& he made some good films in the sixties). Anchor Bay released a very good DVD (with a great Winner commentary), & I thought there'd be a Blu-ray by now.

Last edited:

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Thanks Keith for starting the thread. I've never had much luck with threads I've created here lol. Anyway, here's my list of titles I would need to consider my collection as complete as possible:

1) The Claim (2000) Excellent post modern Western set during a snowy Winter
2) Florida Straits (1986) Inexplicably absent adventure thriller starring Raul Julia.
3) Near Dark (1987) Studiocanal, owners of the rights, teased a forthcoming 4K more than a year ago but it must've fallen through because there's zero sign of movement. I hate that a French conglomerate owns the rights to a bunch of US films made by a now defunct US studio.
4) Fright Night Part II (1988) A Direct-to-video sequel that flopped initially but has since become a cult classic, the rights are supposedly controlled by the Menendez family - yes, THOSE Menendez. Because of this the film may never see the light of day. Shame since the film is just as good as the original IMO.
5) Blood Beach A 1981 B flick that will likely never see the light of day because, according to reports, the Producers still owe money to a bunch of people involved in the making of the film.
6) Shackleton A miniseries produced by A&E. Released on DVD but this badly needs an upgrade. It's spellbinding entertainment.
7) Best Friends (1982) Sweet Burt Reynolds/Goldie Hawn romcom. DVD looks horrible.
8) Anything To Survive TV movie about a pair of stranded sisters trying to survive on an Alaskan island after their boat capsizes. Best hope for a Blu-ray is from Kino since they're doing TV movies (or use to)
9) The Lighthouse 1999 British thriller about a serial killer loose on an island after a ship goes under during a storm. Superb post modern thriller that only got a DVD release in the UK.
10) The New Outer Limits. Probably impossible to release due to the series being edited on tape.

The rest are a bunch of titles owned by Fox and Disney that will likely never see the light of day.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
The 10 discs I would like on blu-ray, in no special order:
1. The Story of Ruth
2. The Man in the Iron Mask (Louis Hayward, dir. Jas. Whale)
3. Three Little Words
4. Royal Wedding
5. Around the World in 80 Days
6. Raintree County
7. The Alamo
8. Barabbas
9. Amadeus (extended version)
10. Scaramouche
And one for good luck: Porgy & Bess

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Off the top of my head, I'd like to get rid of my DVDs of

Mr. And Mrs. Smith (1941)
I Walked With A Zombie
The Seventh Victim
Strange Days (thanks for the reminder, Bartman!)
and Panic Room (at this point, that one'll go to UHD).

No doubt there are more movies that will be released that I would buy if they became available but those are some of the ones where I'm thinking "C'mon, hurry up!"

That entirely leaves out movies that I'd like to see upgraded to UHD.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ruthless People

I also want this one, along with other Touchstone titles Outrageous Fortune and Three Fugitives.

Saving Grace (I don’t think this one has been released on BluRay)

I think there are several movies with this title. Not sure which one you're talking about, but this one just came out a couple weeks ago from Warner Archive:

4) Fright Night Part II (1988) A Direct-to-video sequel that flopped initially but has since become a cult classic, the rights are supposedly controlled by the Menendez family - yes, THOSE Menendez. Because of this the film may never see the light of day. Shame since the film is just as good as the original IMO.

Me too. I do have a "version" of this from Spain which is pretty good but likely not authorized. But it could be better and I'd buy it instantly if it was released domestically or in a legitimate region-free version somewhere. Sad given the multiple re-releases of the first film that no one seemingly has tried too hard to get the very fun sequel out, too.

I'll have to think about the other movies that I'd list. There are some TV series I'd like, such as Buffy/Angel, Due South, The Golden Girls, Teen Wolf, Picket Fences, Boston Public, Mrs. Brown's Boys (UK), and probably others, though some of these may not have been filmed in a manner suitable for HD.

Last edited:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
16 posts and nobody's mentioned Song of the South? I'm impressed! (for the record, it's not in my top 10)

Mine would include:
  • The early movies of Paul Verhoeven (i.e. Soldier of Orange, The Fourth Man), which seem to have gone out of print.
  • John Waters' Mondo Trasho (will likely never happen because of music rights), and his early short films. While we're at it, how about Blu-ray upgrades to the remaining John Waters' titles?
  • I'll throw in a vote each for Ruthless People and Strange Days

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
16 posts and nobody's mentioned Song of the South? I'm impressed! (for the record, it's not in my top 10)
It would have been on mine in the past, but I managed to watch it this year and didn't think it was a very good film so I don't think I'd purchase it again even if it was released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks