What's new

Best Apple TV for streaming? (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I currently have FireTVs because I use a FireCast for my OTA signal. Not sure when (or if) Disney+ will be available via Amazon so I’m thinking of picking up an Apple TV to have access on at least one TV. What will the 64Gb model do for me that the 32Gb won’t? I want one that supports 4K/HDR. Not sure if there is a slightly older model that will work or if I need the current gen model. Any experts out there?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The extra capacity is only for apps and games - it has no bearing on performance.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Adam,

I have one 64GB ATV4K unit and two other ATV4K units with 32GB. There is no difference in performance except extra capacity for apps. and games. My suggestion is the 32GB will work just fine in your household.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I would get Roku's for the rest of the house, preferably the Premiere.

Pro: IR remote
Con: 2.4Ghz Wifi only

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would get Roku's for the rest of the house, preferably the Premiere.

Pro: IR remote
Con: 2.4Ghz Wifi only
That's what we did. We have a Roku Ultra and Apple TV 4K connected to the main home theater in the family room, and just Roku units in the other four rooms - - Premiere 4K in master bedroom, and Expresses in my wife's office, exercise room and basement recreation room / bar.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'm happy with my Apple TV. If I were to get an Apple TV 4k, though, would I see any benefit? (My TV is a five-year-old Samsung, not 4k or UHD.)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Thanks. I just got an email from Roku telling me that my old one will no longer be supported so it looks like I’ll be on the market for something.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm happy with my Apple TV. If I were to get an Apple TV 4k, though, would I see any benefit? (My TV is a five-year-old Samsung, not 4k or UHD.)
If you're getting a new ATV, definitely spend the few extra $ for the 4K, regardless of if you have 4K now or not. In the long run, it's not worth the savings to get the Gen 4. The 4K is a massive hardware upgrade, in every conceivable way, over the Gen 4. Much more economical in the long run.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My 3rd gen TVs both really struggle trying to play For All Mankind. They both play audio fine but the video will be synched for 30 seconds or so then jump backwards a full 5 seconds. I’m sure a lot of it (ok probably 100% of it) is my crappy rake-you-over-the-coals ISP, but I don’t experience that with any other streaming service.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Apple’s website occasionally has some for sale in the refurbished section. I trust Apple refurbs, they give them the same warranty as new. Always worth a check on their site when buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks