What's new

Disney+ Ultimate List of 4K Movies on Streaming (1 Viewer)

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Hey everyone,

Rather than sticking solely to Google Sheets, I decided to create a single web page for cataloging all the 4K movies available on my favourite service, Disney+. While I primarily access Australia content, I also watch from CA, UK, and US (using VPN).

The single page offers quick navigation and dynamic filters, making it easier to browse 4K movies (each movie has a toggle feature, allowing us to expand or contract its details as needed). Also, I deep into the tech details like playback support, audio formats, aggregating scores from different sources and a bit more.

If you're keen to explore for yourself, head over to 4kfilmdb.com

Anyway, I'll be continuously updating the list here whenever new 4K titles are released. Any feedbacks, bugs, features/filter suggestions for improving the page is appreciated.

I hope you'll find as fun and useful as I do.
icon_smile.gif

Cheers

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Top IMAX ENHANCED Sunday picks

If you've already had a chance to watch, it's time to revisit or watch for the first time... these are my 4K recommendations in IMAX ENHANCED (+ Dolby Vision/Atmos) format for your Sunday. Have you seen these movies?

1) Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)
1709447134434.png

2) Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
1709447295437.png

3) Doctor Strange (2016)

1709447218565.png

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Major update coming in the next couple of days... The list of 4K movies will be expanded to include Netflix / Prime Video (starting from the release year 2024 and beyond) and Apple TV+, with every title available in 4K.

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Meanwhile, I'd like to introduce my own "HDR Score" (based on the static metadata sent by the movie content to the display), which I'll be explaining in further detail later. But for now, I want to recommend one of the best 4K movies (let's bear in mind, streaming and specifically on Disney+) to test the HDR capabilities of any display (TV, projector): "Toy Story 3".

Please check it out for yourself its excellent HDR. Noticeable distinct highlights and shadows, great blacks and vibrant colors. Similarly, "Z-O-M-B-I-E-S 3" and "Solo: A Star Wars Story" are two other examples (non-animation) that offer excellent HDR, but a notch below.

An older movie capable of delivering excellent HDR is "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (1988).

A bit of disappointment comes with "The Nutcracker and the Four Realms". Limited HDR impact and to be honest, appear closer to a SDR movie...

Unfortunately, Disney+ doesn't provide static metadata information for every movie, but it covers about 20-25% of the total 4K movie library what I've found so far.

Cheers

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Hey guys,

I hope you find the new 'HDR Analysis and Score' features as helpful as I do.

2 New Films Added:

. Iwájú: A Day Ahead (AU/CA/UK/US) and Morbius (US).

(Minor) known bug:

. 'Where to Watch' section: Duplicate US flag displayed when it's the only available country/region. Only one movie (Morbius) is affected.

New features:

. Now HDR analysis of the movie content!
. Added a new filter to search by HDR Score!

I believe a bit of explanation is necessary...

• 'Maximum Mastering Display Brightness' indicates the peak brightness level the movie was mastered for, aiming to achieve the highest possible brightness during playback. However, the actual brightness depends on the capabilities of YOUR display.
  • 'Minimum Mastering Display Black Level' indicates the lowest brightness (or black) level of a mastered movie.
  • PEAK BRIGHTNESS (or MaxCLL) indicates the absolute brightest point in the entire film.
  • AVERAGE BRIGHTNESS (or MaxFALL) essentially represents the average luminance of the brightest frame.
    • These values are crucial for HDR displays to properly reproduce the intended brightness and contrast of the content.
    • MaxCLL and MaxFALL are static metadata, meaning they apply to the entire movie and don't change throughout.
    • MaxCLL allows for a wider range of brightness between highlights and shadows, potentially leading to a more visually impactful HDR experience.
    • There's a limit. If MaxCLL is significantly higher than YOUR display's capabilities (mine is 750 nits), it can lead to clipping (where highlights lose detail). Display calibration is important here, however for Dolby Vision and HDR10+ is a different story due to their nature (dynamic metadata)...

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Changelog - [March 8, 2024]: Major Updates! :thumbsup:
  1. Expanded Coverage to Additional Streaming Services:
    • In addition to the original coverage of Disney+, the 4K database now includes listings for other major streaming platforms such as Netflix, Prime Video, and Apple TV+. We can now access a wider selection of 4K movie titles across multiple services.
    • I cover 4K movies released in the current year as well as previous years for Disney+ and Apple TV+. However, 4K titles for Netflix and Prime Video are covered from 2024 onwards, as creating a retroactive 4K list requires considerable effort. This is planned for the future, if forum members express interest.
  2. Introduced "Latest Additions" Section:
    • A new "Latest Additions" section has been added to the Homepage, highlighting the last ten 4K movie additions across all streaming services.
  3. Minor Corrections:
    • Addressed minor issues.
  4. This thread title may need to be updated to reflect various services:
    • I will contact admin/moderator to kindly change the thread title to reflect the expanded coverage across different streaming services.
I hope you all like the latest updates and find them as helpful as I do for discovering 4K movies on streaming services, along with detailed 4K nuances such as playback support, HDR analysis, and more. Any questions, happy to hear.

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Big Four HDR Sunday picks

These are my 4K recommendations in glorious HDR format for your Sunday. Have you seen these movies?

1) CODA (2021) - Apple TV+
1710056020406.png

2) Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) - Disney+
1710056073597.png

3) Einstein and the Bomb (2024) - Netflix

1710056110995.png

4) Upgraded (2024) - Amazon Prime Video

1710056146516.png

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Updates:
  1. Expanded Filters to search by Originals
  2. Renamed 'Watch Now' button to 'Streamlist / Watch Now' to emphasize the option to add movies to your Watchlist on the streaming service.
  3. Added 'COLOR SPACE Mastered' to HDR Analysis section, allowing us to check whether the movie was mastered with BT.2020 or DCI-P3 color space. This addition contributes +5 points to the 'HDR Score' Calculation and is now available as a filter search option.
  4. Introduced "All Services" page/menu item, featuring a comprehensive list of all streaming services with specific filters to narrow searches by multiple services.
  5. Renamed "What's New This Week" section to "Latest Additions" for more accurate representation of the latest new movies on the corresponding page.
  6. Minor Corrections:
    • Addressed minor issues.

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Changelog - [March 13, 2024]: A few more updates :)
  1. The disclaimer text "The Netflix catalog includes titles released from 2024 onwards for this beta version" has been added to the Netflix and Prime Video pages.
  2. The search text box has been moved from the bottom to the top in the Filter section to improve visibility for filtering by title, actors, plot, or any keyword.
  3. The Release Year drop-down has been removed from the Netflix and Prime Video pages since we (when I say "we" it refers to you and me :D ) are currently only filtering by the year 2024.
  4. Every Movie Detail page has been added to the website, allowing us to search, filter, or narrow down search results from the Homepage or any other page. The search button is located at the top right on desktop or next to the mobile menu (the three lines, also known as the 'hamburger' menu). This is a significant improvement!
  5. Ten new films have been added to the 'Latest Additions' section.
Cheers

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Hey everyone,

I would like to present a challenge: Simply name a genre (action, comedy, drama, thriller, sci-fi, fantasy, romance, etc.) and optionally specify your preferred streaming service. I'll reply to your post with a tailored 4K movie recommendation from my list, perfect for the weekend.

Who's up for it?

1710402354022.png

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Thank you so much, very interesting. Genre I give you is animation

Thanks to you for the opportunity to share some (good) hidden gems... Here's my tailored 4K list for you on the streaming platforms:

Wolfwalkers (Apple TV+, available in all regions AU/CA/UK/US)​

The Bob's Burgers Movie (Disney+, available in AU/CA/UK). If you're in the US, alternatively, I can recommend Elemental.​

Klaus (Netflix, available in all regions AU/CA/UK/US)​

The Bad Guys (Prime Video, available in the US only)​

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Hi everyone,

I'm currently retroactively cataloging all 4K movies from 2023 and older on Amazon Prime Video this week (it's quite a massive task!). My goal is to compile a final list of 869 films by the end of the week, so I can consider the task completed for Prime Video as well. In the meantime, I'd like to suggest a few movies that are truly mastered in 4K (not just upscaled).

Apple TV+
Cha Cha Real Smooth
Disney+
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Netflix
The Parades
Prime Video
Role Play

Cheers

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Just a sample of the latest 4K additions on streaming services:

1710841483195.png

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
TOP GUN: MAVERICK (2022)

HDR Comparison: Streaming vs. 4K UHD Blu-ray

4K UHD Blu-ray Physical Disc

HDR Metadata:

• Peak Brightness: 617 nits
  • Average Brightness: 496 nits
4K Streaming Version (Netflix AU/CA)

HDR Analysis:

• Max Mastering Display Brightness: 1000 nits
  • Peak Brightness: 509 nits
  • Average Brightness: 500 nits
  • Color Space: DCI-P3 within BT.2020
Comparison:

Maximum Brightness:

• The 4K UHD Blu-ray boasts a slightly higher peak brightness (tech term: maximum content light level) of 617 nits compared to the streaming version's peak brightness of 509 nits. This means that the physical disc version may deliver slightly brighter highlights in scenes with intense lighting.
Average Brightness:
  • The streaming version maintains an average brightness of 500 nits, providing consistent luminance throughout. While specific data on the average brightness for the 4K UHD Blu-ray is 496 nits, they can be assumed to be similar.
Colour Space:
  • It's important to note that while the physical 4K disc version utilizes the native BT.2020 color space, the streaming version adopts a DCI-P3 color space within the BT.2020 container. This distinction may affect colour accuracy and saturation levels, with the 4K disc version potentially offering a wider color gamut and more vibrant hues within the BT.2020 standard.
Overall HDR Comparison:
  • By leveraging HDR10 and Dolby Vision, the film achieves a dynamic range that accentuates both the subtle nuances of shadow detail (check out the scene with Maverick and "Hammer" - Ed Harris) and good specular highlights.
  • Both the streaming version and the 4K UHD Blu-ray a offer good-quality HDR experience, with the streaming version potentially delivering slightly lower peak brightness levels compared to the physical disc. However, the difference in brightness may not be perceptible at all, and both versions are likely to provide immersive (but not great) HDR visuals.
  • Please note that bitrate analysis is not included in this comparison. Bitrate can significantly impact the quality of the physical disc version, influencing factors such as image clarity, motion handling and compression artifacts but itself is not a direct measure of HDR quality.
Original Technical Specs:
  • Aspect Ratio: 1.90:1 (IMAX Version - select scenes)
  • Camera(s): Sony CineAlta Venice IMAX, Zeiss Master Prime, Loxia, Sigma FF High Speed, Voigtländer, and Fujinon Premier Lenses (Sony)
  • Cinematographic Process: DI (4K) (master format), 6K (source format) <--- True native 4K
4K Playback Support:
  • Maximum Resolution: 4K ULTRA HD
  • IMAX Enhanced: No
  • HDR10: Yes
  • HDR10+: No
  • Dolby Vision Support: Yes
  • Dolby Atmos Audio Format: Yes
  • Dolby Digital 5.1: Yes
Dolby Atmos track - Quick Analysis: From the thunderous roar of fighter jets to the whisper of wind through the cockpit, every sound is meticulously crafted to draw deeper into the narrative!

More info here

1710914958228.png

Last edited:

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
New 4K movie released on Prime Video (AU/CA/UK/US):

Road House (2024, Action/Thriller, 2h 1m)

220px-Road_House_2024_poster.jpg

Quick update: I've completed adding the entire list of 4K movies on Prime Video. Currently, I'm in the process of capturing the HDR metadata for each movie. This means that movie details will be up-to-date in the next few days, along with a few other enhancements. Stay tuned for more updates!

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Happy Friday, everyone!

If you're in Australia or have access via VPN, I'm excited to share that Netflix Australia has just released the 4K version of "Oppenheimer" (winner of 7 Oscars)...

Here are a few considerations:

1) Christopher Nolan doesn't typically include Atmos tracks in his films, so there's no Atmos track present on Netflix.
2) Although Oppenheimer was filmed with IMAX cameras (70mm), there are no further improvements on the streaming version.
3) HDR Analysis: The peak brightness is measured at 193 nits, with an average of 179 nits. In comparison, the physical Blu-Ray disc version boasts about 223 nits of peak brightness. This may be a bit disappointing considering the film was mastered using a reference monitor with a brightness of 1000 nits and a black level of 0.0001. It's not as bright as I may have hoped (above 500 nits)...

... Regardless, for those who haven't watched yet, now's the chance to see it in 4K resolution!

Cheers

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Major Updates! (Beta Version 0.45)

As promised, I've completed cataloging every 4K relevant title available on Prime Video.

Additionally, I've added 4K Playback Support and HDR Scores for each movie. (I believe these are the most exciting parts as nothing similar is seen anywhere!)

There are only a few Prime Video titles that I initially left out from my original list, but within the next couple of days, the list will be fully comprehensive.

I've implemented minor bug fixes and enhancements. Please check the full version here

Last but not least, please find below the Latest 4K Additions on Streaming:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Ae Watan Mere Watan
Andragogy
Operation Valentine
Road House
Freaknik: The Wildest Party Never Told
The Martian
Red Eye
Strays
Oppenheimer

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
Finalizing the weekend by catching up on the remaining (older) 4K titles available on Prime Video and Disney+. I have now 892 titles (and counting) in the database. I should mention that the displayed information on the Prime Video app is not always 100% accurate. For example, "The Hobbit" is marked as HDR but is actually SDR only. So, moving forward, we can rely on precise 4K/HDR details provided by the 4K Film Database.

Feel free to check out the 4K Playback support and HDR analysis for the latest added movies:

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Perfect Addiction
Pretty Woman
Braveheart
The Day After Tomorrow
(500) Days of Summer
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
Kingsman: The Secret Service
Paper Towns
Eddie the Eagle
Keeping Up with the Joneses
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
Greenland
Horizon Line
Downhill
My Son
The Green Knight
The Mauritanian
The Protégé
Our Friend
After We Fell
Deep Water
Memory <--- Excellent HDR (Peak luminance of 1004 with average of 468 nits)
Master
Hotel for the Holidays
The Contractor
Meet Cute
EXmas
Kandahar
Beautiful Disaster
SEE HEAR LOVE
The Creator
Robots

The Other Zoey

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks