What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Strange World (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
“AN ENTERTAINING AND VIVID SCI-FI ADVENTURE
FILM FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY.”

– Mark Pacis, Nerd Reactor

A picture containing text  Description automatically generated

Prepare for An Epic Adventure When Strange World Arrives on Digital December 23 and 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD February 14

BURBANK, CA (December 14, 2022)
– Walt Disney Animation Studios’ 61st animated feature Strange World will soon be available to audiences to enjoy at home with never-before-seen bonus features and deleted scenes. The “stunning” (Tracy Brown, Los Angeles Times) family adventure arrives on all major digital platforms this holiday season on December 23 and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD February 14. Strange World will also be available to Disney+ subscribers starting on December 23.

Film Synopsis

Strange World introduces a legendary family of explorers, the Clades, as they attempt to navigate an uncharted, treacherous land alongside a motley crew that includes a mischievous blob called Splat; Legend, the family dog; and a slew of ravenous creatures. The voice cast includes Academy Award®*- and Tony Award®-nominated actor Jake Gyllenhaal as Searcher Clade, a family man who finds himself out of his element on an unpredictable mission; Emmy®- and two-time Golden Globe®-nominee Dennis Quaid as Searcher’s larger-than-life explorer father, Jaeger; comedian, actor, writer, filmmaker and musician Jaboukie Young-White as Searcher’s 16-year-old, adventure-seeking son, Ethan; actress, producer, bestselling author and TIME100 cover honoree Gabrielle Union as Meridian Clade, an accomplished pilot and Searcher’s partner in all things; and critically acclaimed actress, producer, director and fine artist Lucy Liu as Callisto Mal, Avalonia’s fearless leader who spearheads the exploration into the strange world. Helmed by director Don Hall (Oscar®-winning** Big Hero 6, Raya and the Last Dragon) and co-director/writer Qui Nguyen (co-writer Raya and the Last Dragon), with Roy Conli (Oscar®-winning** Big Hero 6, Tangled) producing, Strange World is in theaters now.

*Best Supporting Actor, 2006 ** Best Animated Feature, 2015

Bonus Features*

• Anatomy of a Scene: Creating A Strange World – Learn about Walt Disney Animation Studios' creative process through a single, visually stunning scene as the filmmaking team puts all of their imagination – and more – on the screen.
  • Strange Science – Jaboukie Young-White (voice of Ethan Clade) hosts an exploration of how Walt Disney Animation Studios artists were inspired by real science to create Strange World.
  • Creature Feature – Journey into the world beneath Avalonia and meet some of the terrifying, slimy, gassy – and sometimes cute – creatures that inhabit this Strange World.
  • The Hidden Secrets of Strange World – Uncover the references and characters from some of your favorite Walt Disney Animation Studios films hidden throughout the film, along with some fun facts and behind–the–scenes stories of how Strange World was made.
  • Outtakes – Go behind the glass as we join the cast of Strange World inside the recording booth for some fun, flubs and outtakes.

Deleted Scenes

• The Ballad of Jaeger Clade
  • Lightning Lynx
  • Funerals and Promises
  • Ethan and Searcher

*Bonus features vary by product and retailer

Voice Cast

Jake Gyllenhaal
as Searcher Clade

Dennis Quaid as Jaeger Clade

Jaboukie Young-White as Ethan Clade

Gabrielle Union as Meridian Clade

Lucy Liu as Callisto Mal

Director

Don Hall

Co-Director

Qui Nguyen

Producer

Roy Conli

Screenplay

Qui Nguyen

Product Specifications

Street Date

Digital: December 23, 2022

Physical: February 14, 2023

Product SKUs

Digital: 4K UHD, HD, SD

Physical: 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Code), Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray + Digital Code) & DVD

Feature Run Time

Approx. 95 Minutes

Rating

U.S. Rated PG

* Bonus Material Not Rated

Aspect Ratio

Digital: 2.39:1

Physical: 2.39:1

U.S. Audio

4K Ultra HD: English 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos, Japanese 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, Spanish 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, French 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, English AD 2.0 Dolby Digital

Blu-ray: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, English AD 2.0 Dolby Digital

DVD: English 5.1 Dolby, Spanish 5.1 Dolby, English AD 2.0 Dolby

Digital: English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)

U.S. Subtitles

4K Ultra HD: English SDH, Japanese, Spanish, French

Blu-ray: English SDH, Spanish, French

DVD: English, English SDH, Spanish, French

Digital: English SDH, Spanish, French (some platforms)

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Best Buy has put up pre-orders for the Blu-ray+DVD and DVD-only versions. Those editions are using different cover art.

Strange World.jpeg

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits is saying that the 4K release of Strange World is now a Best Buy and Disney Movie Club exclusive.
And per that link, the Best Buy version is the steelbook only. We know that the steelbooks are still produced in limited quantities and won't be available in perpetuity. Because the film's reception was less than stellar, it might not sell out quite as quickly as the steelbook versions of Disney's more popular titles. But I doubt it sticks around there indefinitely.

Last year, the steelbook release of Pixar's Turning Red had three copies available at my store and stayed available for a few months, which is much longer than I expected. But they did eventually sell out, as did the copies on the website. And
Turning Red was much better received than Strange World was (although there is no box office for it because it was a Disney+ release.)

My point is that, eventually, DMC will become the only way to get this in 4K. When that happens depends on how many steelbooks are produced and how quickly it takes for them to sell out.

I think this decision is probably a consequence of the film's poor box office results. But it is interesting that Disney only came to this decision after announcing the 4K release as a traditional one in the press release.

I do want the steelbook, so I swallowed hard and pre-ordered it. It is currently $39.99. That is $5 higher than the previous normal steelbook price of $34.99 and $1 higher than the Black Panther: Wakanda Forever steelbooks are currently selling for.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The title of the thread as well as the cover art should probably should be edited to remove "4K" unless a link to the Best Buy steelbook is included. The link in the first post is for the Blu ray/DVD/Digital combo.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The title of the thread as well as the cover art should probably should be edited to remove "4K" unless a link to the Best Buy steelbook is included.
Here is a link to the steelbook for those interested. I don't know if HTF has a referral situation with Best Buy as with Amazon. But as we now know, the 4K version won't be available from Amazon. So...

Strange World steelbook.jpeg

I do really like the artwork for this version.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The steelbook looks really sharp.

Strange way of handling this release. I hope this doesn't foretell future exclusives (although I have heard that DMC would like to have more exclusives).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I hope this doesn't foretell future exclusives (although I have heard that DMC would like to have more exclusives).
I'm just guessing here. But I suspect this is more likely a response to the film's disastrous box office response than anything else. Disney is probably assuming that the demand for a 4K version on this particular title is minimal. I would be very surprised if this ends up being a shift in strategy for all of their future animated releases. The fact that they actually announced the title in 4K back on December 14 when Ron posted this thread certainly suggests that this new exclusive approach was a last-minute decision for this particular title.

What I find more worrisome is the price increase. The steelbook is currently being offered at Best Buy for $39.99, which is the highest price I've ever seen for any steelbook of a single title. The last few years, steelbooks from Disney were $34.99 apiece. Also, the standard Blu-ray+DVD is $27.99, which is up from their normal $22.99.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm just guessing here. But I suspect this is more likely a response to the film's disastrous box office response than anything else. Disney is probably assuming that the demand for a 4K version on this particular title is minimal. I would be very surprised if this ends up being a shift in strategy for all of their future animated releases. The fact that they actually announced the title in 4K back on December 14 when Ron posted this thread certainly suggests that this new exclusive approach was a last-minute decision for this particular title.

What I find more worrisome is the price increase. The steelbook is currently being offered at Best Buy for $39.99, which is the highest price I've ever seen for any steelbook of a single title. The last few years, steelbooks from Disney were $34.99 apiece. Also, the standard Blu-ray+DVD is $27.99, which is up from their normal $22.99.
The DMC Member price is currently $29.95 for the 4K as the featured selection which is $5.00 off the regular price of $34.9x

1673413383572.png

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Disney Movie Insiders website confirms the information Bill Hunt shared at the Bits. Under "Get It Now," the 4K version is listed as "Disney Movie Club Member Exclusive."

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 12.57.53 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks