What's new

Amazon Prime Anyone else sick of playing the "How Do I Get The Best Pic Quality from Amazon Prime App" game? (1 Viewer)

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
On my Roku, JW Dominion plays in UHD and looks spectacular. Sounds spectacular as well, lots of directionality, isolation, and plenty of kick in places.(I'll save my thoughts on the film itself for another thread.)

So I thought maybe the issue with movies vs original programming has been resolved. I tried the expendables again, which is listed as 4k UHD HDR (just as Dominion is), and it's still just HD, no HDR.

Makes no sense.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Seeing UHD and HDR on Prime Video does not necessarily mean you own it or the version available to you to view will be in UHD/HDR. All it means is that it is available in UHD/HDR.

If you see the box More purchase options and it has an option to rent or purchase in UHD, then it will likely only play in HD. There are a few exceptions, Jurassic World: Dominion being one of them.

Yes, I think it is misleading, but that will likely not change unless more people complain directly to Amazon.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Seeing UHD and HDR on Prime Video does not necessarily mean you own it or the version available to you to view will be in UHD/HDR. All it means is that it is available in UHD/HDR.

If you see the box More purchase options and it has an option to rent or purchase in UHD, then it will likely only play in HD. There are a few exceptions, Jurassic World: Dominion being one of them.

Yes, I think it is misleading, but that will likely not change unless more people complain directly to Amazon.
Primal Fear, Dirty Grandpa, and the expendables movies all say 4k UHD HDR and all say included with prime and none of them have a more purchase options box.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member

So what's the explanation behind the exact same show not showing up in, say Dolby Vision or Atmos, via the Prime App in iOS vs, the Prime App on LG TVs with the exact same Prime account logged in?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
So what's the explanation behind the exact same show not showing up in, say Dolby Vision or Atmos, via the Prime App in iOS vs, the Prime App on LG TVs with the exact same Prime account logged in?
App/device compatibility.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
App/device compatibility.
Except as I pointed out earlier, it seems now with more recent updates, Amazon has brought Dolby Vision and Atmos compatibility to the iOS app, but some shows still show up on the LG app with DV/DA and have one or both missing.

Also with regards to some shows appearing as HD vs. 4K...I don't own any digital shows. I either own the UHD or I stream it from the various services. I don't cash in those digital codes or whatever. Yet Amazon will have some shows on the LG app as 4K and be only HD on the iOS app.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Except as I pointed out earlier, it seems now with more recent updates, Amazon has brought Dolby Vision and Atmos compatibility to the iOS app, but some shows still show up on the LG app with DV/DA and have one or both missing.

Also with regards to some shows appearing as HD vs. 4K...I don't own any digital shows. I either own the UHD or I stream it from the various services. I don't cash in those digital codes or whatever. Yet Amazon will have some shows on the LG app as 4K and be only HD on the iOS app.
That is all I can think of. Contacting Amazon support is likely futile, as they typically are very quick to lay blame elsewhere (see my earlier post regarding the DV issue across most devices).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks