What's new

4K APPLE TV (1 Viewer)

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
Thanks to all the people that gave me such gr8 advice about whether my Blu Ray player would get me a 4K Internet connection and you all were right. I was only getting Native resolution of 1080. For my recent birthday I received an Apple TV 4K and now am streaming Dolby Vision which is 2160! My question is since I've read DOLBY VISION is the best for 4K, on my settings should it be set to MATCH FRAME RATE or something else? Thanks again to all!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Clinton is correct. The main setting seems like it’s wrong, but that is the correct setting.

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
Match Frame Rate and Match Dynamic Range should always be on. Make sure you set your format resolution to 4K SDR.
Great! I do have them on but not sure where my format for 4K is BUT when I hit info on my remote, it does say Dolby Vision 2160. Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oops; just found it and it does say 4K dolby vision. Thanks again for your advice!
Some explanation is needed so you understand what you're getting.

If you set the main video output to 4K DV, then it will output everything as 4K Dolby Vision. Even if the source isn't 4K DV. Yeah, it will create a fake DV. The problem with that is you won't know what's actually real DV.

So the logic behind each of these settings is...

Video Output is what it sends everything as by default, all content and menus. So, you set that to 4K SDR.

Match Dynamic Range should then be set to "On", which means that whenever content has any form of HDR, it will switch to that for that content, then back to SDR for menus and non-HDR stuff.

Match Frame Rate (for most TVs) should also be set to "On". Then the output will match the source, when it's compatible with the TV. Most stuff is 30fps (technically 29.97), but film content is 24fps, and will switch to that when suitable.

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
Some explanation is needed so you understand what you're getting.

If you set the main video output to 4K DV, then it will output everything as 4K Dolby Vision. Even if the source isn't 4K DV. Yeah, it will create a fake DV. The problem with that is you won't know what's actually real DV.

So the logic behind each of these settings is...

Video Output is what it sends everything as by default, all content and menus. So, you set that to 4K SDR.

Match Dynamic Range should then be set to "On", which means that whenever content has any form of HDR, it will switch to that for that content, then back to SDR for menus and non-HDR stuff.

Match Frame Rate (for most TVs) should also be set to "On". Then the output will match the source, when it's compatible with the TV. Most stuff is 30fps (technically 29.97), but film content is 24fps, and will switch to that when suitable.
So I should get rid of Dolby vision and use 4K SDR for the best picture quality?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So I should get rid of Dolby vision and use 4K SDR for the best picture quality?
Once again, and I understand this is counterintuitive, but read carefully.

Setting Video Output to 4K SDR does not get rid of DV. When you use that setting along with setting Match Dynamic Range to "On", you get DV (or any kind of HDR) when the source has DV or any form of HDR, and only when it has it. If you set Video Output to 4K DV (or 4K HDR) it sends an HDR signal all the time, even when the source is not actually HDR. So most of the time it'll be fake HDR, which can only degrade the image.

To summarize, setting Video Output to "4K SDR" and Match Dynamic Range to "On" will provide SDR on SDR sources and HDR on HDR sources. Those are the ideal settings.

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
Once again, and I understand this is counterintuitive, but read carefully.

Setting Video Output to 4K SDR does not get rid of DV. When you use that setting along with setting Match Dynamic Range to "On", you get DV (or any kind of HDR) when the source has DV or any form of HDR, and only when it has it. If you set Video Output to 4K DV (or 4K HDR) it sends an HDR signal all the time, even when the source is not actually HDR. So most of the time it'll be fake HDR, which can only degrade the image.

To summarize, setting Video Output to "4K SDR" and Match Dynamic Range to "On" will provide SDR on SDR sources and HDR on HDR sources. Those are the ideal settings.
Thanks so much! Really helpful!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, Apple made this much more confusing than they really needed to.

To be fair (and I'm certainly no Apple fanboy), the confusion seems commonplace across many/most brands (including disc players) to varying degrees. It's probably more a problem indicative of the lack of standardization re: HDR than anything.

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, but Apple really makes it seem like setting the default output to SDR is a mistake. As soon as it senses a DV capable setup, it practically begs you to set output to 4K DV.

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
Yeah, but Apple really makes it seem like setting the default output to SDR is a mistake. As soon as it senses a DV capable setup, it practically begs you to set output to 4K DV.
Last night I switched from Dolby vision to try 4K HDR and much preferred Dolby picture!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks