What's new

Anyone having ATMOS/4K issues on Apple TV 4K since firmware update 17.1? (1 Viewer)

Q4W

Auditioning
Real Name
Stuart
I have an Apple TV 4K 2nd Generation (OS 17.1) connected to an AudioControl Concert AVR9 ATMOS receiver. This is connected to an 8K Samsung TV. ATMOS and 4K has been working fine until a few weeks ago around the 17.1 update. Since then, Apple TV settings only offers me 1080p HDR as the highest resolution and ATMOS is no longer working/detected. I have also tried connecting directly to the TV, tried a different HDMI, factory reset and I have been on with tech support with both Apple and AudioControl. The receiver is now only detecting 1080p as the incoming signal. Netflix confirms this as up until now, shows/movies with 4K and ATMOS would be displayed next to the show but now is only HD and 5.1. I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue? Apple 17.1 update including an update now supporting ATMOS 8.1 from previous 7.1. and thing that this may be the connection. If I use the Netflix app on the TV, ATMOS and 4K is functioning.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My ATV 4Ks are 3rd Gen, and I don't have 8K, but I have all options for HDR and 4K available on the one I checked.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
…and I’m a little fuzzy on which generation they are. They have the aluminum remote, not the black one. They aren’t the current gen though.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks John. And just to confirm, your OS is 17.1?
Digging into this a little more, I came across your post about this on Reddit. I don't see any indication it is a wide spread problem. I checked on two of my systems, which both have Marantz processors, and there's no problem. I get Atmos and 4K HDR.

You said you did a factory reset on the ATV, but did you do a "reset for sale" on it? That's a higher level reset, which will set it back fully to original condition, and will have to download OS updates again.

Q4W

Auditioning
Real Name
Stuart
I didn't see an option for that in the menu. The only reset I found resets it where you set it up like its just out of the box but not the firmware. When troubleshooting with Apple, they said that it is not possible to go backwards on firmware.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't see an option for that in the menu. The only reset I found resets it where you set it up like its just out of the box but not the firmware. When troubleshooting with Apple, they said that it is not possible to go backwards on firmware.
You're right. I confused myself. I also use Macs and they have two levels of reset. One returns it to "out of the box" status. The ATV has reset, for selling, and reset and update, or something like that. They both do basically the same thing. Just the second one is for when you aren't selling it.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Have you tried a full power down, including unplugging everything from the wall, to reset the HDMI handshake?

Q4W

Auditioning
Real Name
Stuart
I'm pretty sure it is the firmware update that caused the issue based on the testing done. It is also possible that the firmware is only affecting some brands/models of receivers which would explain why there are not complaints rolling in. My final test was borrowing a friends Gen 2 4K. It was also on auto update and running 17.1 and it produced the same results when connected to my system. ROKU 4K Express works fine with 4K however I don't have the ATMOS version to fully test. I'll wait for the next update and see what happens.
Have you tried a full power down, including unplugging everything from the wall, to reset the HDMI handshake?
Multiple times as well as moving the box to connect directly to the tv. I've been on with tier 2 tech support at Apple twice and gone through extensive testing.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Glitches like this are infuriating, and only become more common as components get more complex. Honestly, it’s also why I stick with Marantz processors rather than more exotic brands. They just work.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The thing is, the fact it still happens when you connect it directly to the TV indicates it's not the receiver.

Q4W

Auditioning
Real Name
Stuart
The thing is, the fact it still happens when you connect it directly to the TV indicates it's not the receiver.
I summarized my initial post about trying various things without going through all of the specific details but I don’t have ATMOS speakers connected to the TV so I could only test 4K. I did get 4K directly connected so I figuring it was either receiver issue or AppleTV. Apple tech confirmed when I called that firmware had updated (Oct 17 I believe) but there were no reports coming in to Apple probably as it may only be affecting some older receivers but not all. Unfortunately they no longer upgrade firmware for my receiver so hoping Apple get more calls and can fix it. AudioControl noted that this happened previously and was resolved by Apple next update.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks