What's new

Anyone else have big movie collections? (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Martin_Teller said:
I own about 525 movies. A modest size collection compared to others, but keep in mind my collection includes...-- zero movies that I'll watch only once*-- zero movies that I'll never watch-- zero movies that I haven't watched and have been sitting in the shrinkwrap for months-- zero movies that I plucked out of a $5 bin at Walmart just to bulk up my collection-- zero movies that I don't really like but somehow feel like I "should" ownMy collection is made up of movies that are near and dear to me, that were worth buying (as opposed to renting, or borrowing from the library) because I know they'll get repeat viewings. Not because I want to have a wall of DVDs/Blu-Rays to impress people with what a big "movie fan" I am. My movie fandom comes out in my passion and my knowledge, not the size of my personal collection or the amount of disposable income I choose to spend on it.(* not entirely true, there are a couple in box sets that I have no desire to see again, like Un chambre en ville)
Sounds like my collectionJust over 500 movies. About 30 TV series.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There are several here who probably have over 15k physical discs in their collection. I only have about 2200most of which are bluray. I use dvd profiler to catalog them all. It

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
My collection is over 1400 films, inclusive of Bluray, DVD, VHS, and digital. Maybe about 100 TV seasons of various shows. Mine is a collection that I've been building for about 13 or so years now, and for someone that's not remotely middle-aged, I'm rather staggered I've managed to collect that many already. I do want to start collecting laserdiscs, but only for select Criterion titles, and some MGM/UA films that had extended editions only ever released in that format.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
At the moment I use DVDAf to catalog my collection (I did use DVDProfiler for a while but I never really warmed to it). The best ever site used to be DVDSpot. It had everything you'd possibly want in a movie catalog tracker, but it sadly shut down. I'm still in mourning.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Mine got so large I had to take the discs and sleeves out of the hard cases and put them in space saving wallets and still my collection takes up an entire room.

darkness2918

Second Unit
Real Name
Tony
Wow, I seriously thought I had a huge collection lol. I have the biggest of anyone I know that's for sure. I also have purged some of my DVD collection, gave around 75 movies to my dad a few months back. One of my fav things to do is hit a used movie store & look through the used section, got quite a few good movies that way for $5 or less. I also have a few BRs that ill probably put up for trade on a forum here soon as I look through & see what I wanna get rid of.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I probably have ~1000 movies/TV seasons, and have been collecting since the VHS/LD years. Nowadays, I'm torn between wanting to hold onto many of these titles in likely their last physical media release, and wanting to dump them all to declutter my life. I'm also finding it harder to re-watch films as I get older.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I find that out of the 6000+ discs I have, over the last 15 years, I only watch about 500 of them, at most, and the same ones over and over. Honestly I could dump 5500 of my discs and probably never miss them.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Carabimero said:
I find that out of the 6000+ discs I have, over the last 15 years, I only watch about 500 of them, at most, and the same ones over and over. Honestly I could dump 5500 of my discs and probably never miss them.
That is precisely what started my "big cull" over 2 years ago. I'm always re-focusing my collection.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Vic Pardo said:
I have a larger collection than most of those mentioned already because I've taped thousands of movies on VHS off of cable over the decades, usually in EP speed so I have 3 or 4 movies per tape. Quantity rather than quality. This is in addition to a ridiculous number of pre-records. Just last night I watched SIREN OF BAGDAD (1953), which I taped off TCM some years back. And in one week in September I watched five Lee Tracy movies taped in one day off TCM and six Joe E. Brown movies. Plus, I don't know how many DVDs I have, but it's well over two thousand.

Here's just one section of the wall in my living room that's all shelves. You can find DVDs, VHS, CDs and VCDs in this picture:

6198719427_d1eb23f2db_z.jpg

An angle of most of the wall:

6089399492_de28acf251_z.jpg

Aren't you glad you asked? :D
I don't have quite that much, but I definitely have a lot (and like you I still maintain VHS tapes with TCM's Joe E. Brown marathons and the like). Sometimes I think that HTF could enhance its appeal to its readers by adding a regular columnist on abnormal psychology. Something must be up with us.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've got a REALLY big one,
And quite a reasonable blu ray collection too.

I'm not really sure about the first claim but thought I'd throw it in!
I've got about 3500 movies on Blu or DVD but I'm not sure about the proportion .. but since I've stopped buying DVDs and am concentrating on Blu rays, the proportion is getting bigger all the time (though I'm about to weaken and order the new Warner Archive Gordon McRae 'Desert Song').

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I cut down significantly when I realized I was more focused on on obtaining and shelving the films than I was in watching them. When my backlog of unwatched and unopened titles surpassed 200, this became painful evident.

I also stopped trying to be completist in any series, genre or actor (apart from Star Wars, Hitchcock and 007) as I was buying films I had little interest in and would never watch more than once.

Also on a purely economic level, I became frustrated when the resale value of titles dropped off so dramatically.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I keep mine around 500, and it's time for trimming when I go over, so I'm always reassessing and revaluing what belongs to stay and what can go. My new thing is 'another one in done' - films I want to re-watch maybe once again, and then let go. The last thing I want to do is saddle my kid or family with a ton of stuff to get rid of after I'm gone. If we culling collectors time this right, we'll be down to our last favorite movie in physical form before we give up ours.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
With doomsayers saying physical media is already dead the title of this thread may as well be "Anyone else have big hard drives" :lol:

darkness2918

Second Unit
Real Name
Tony
AnthonyClarke said:
I've got a REALLY big one,
And quite a reasonable blu ray collection too.

I'm not really sure about the first claim but thought I'd throw it in!
I've got about 3500 movies on Blu or DVD but I'm not sure about the proportion .. but since I've stopped buying DVDs and am concentrating on Blu rays, the proportion is getting bigger all the time (though I'm about to weaken and order the new Warner Archive Gordon McRae 'Desert Song').
Nice. I still buy DVDs myself though, especially if its for a long running series. For example I just bought the 007 movies I was missing on DVD from ebay for about $3 each. The only Bond I have on BR is Skyfall. I do buy BRs for all the new releases though. TV shows I also pick up on DVD since theyre cheaper most of the time. My only BR TV show is Game of Thrones. But I don't have a big TV collection to begin with, I only have Lost, 24, Hercules: Legendary Journeys & Highlander.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Mine is avarage compared to the collections of the HTF members:

[*]1872 feature films
[*]34 dokumentations
[*]141 TV titles (series)
[*]226 music titles (most concerts, some clip collections)
[*]and 14 special interest titles (sports, erotics, TV programs like Monty Python or SNL)
[/list]

it's a total of 2287 titles

this is my BD collection

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
JoeDoakes said:
I don't have quite that much, but I definitely have a lot (and like you I still maintain VHS tapes with TCM's Joe E. Brown marathons and the like). Sometimes I think that HTF could enhance its appeal to its readers by adding a regular columnist on abnormal psychology. Something must be up with us.
Those pictures represent just a portion of my collection. I have a closet filled with boxes of tapes and DVDs, plus other wall shelves around the apartment. Funny you should mention the Joe E. Brown marathon. In September I actually watched seven Brown films I'd taped off TCM, six on one tape, one on another.

Every title I have is something I want to watch and I prefer having it on hand to waiting till I want to watch it and then looking for it somewhere for rental or downloading or waiting till it comes on TV. The problem, of course, is that I probably don't have enough years left to see everything I want to watch.

At some point, though, I'm going to have to start culling. I'd hate to die and leave my daughter the task of getting rid of it all.

But I have cut back considerably on buying new stuff.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mikey1969 said:
I cut down significantly when I realized I was more focused on on obtaining and shelving the films than I was in watching them. When my backlog of unwatched and unopened titles surpassed 200, this became painful evident.
I have small collection (a few hundred). But whatever motivation I had towards increasing my library size ended a few years ago when I realized I had a 50 disc backlog, unopened from several Black Friday shopping splurges.

Coupled with a Tivo and getting full cable for the first time in a decade recently, buying discs is largely stopped, save for some choice TV series and a movie or two as gifts.

darkness2918

Second Unit
Real Name
Tony
DaveF said:
I have small collection (a few hundred). But whatever motivation I had towards increasing my library size ended a few years ago when I realized I had a 50 disc backlog, unopened from several Black Friday shopping splurges.

Coupled with a Tivo and getting full cable for the first time in a decade recently, buying discs is largely stopped, save for some choice TV series and a movie or two as gifts.
I know this feeling. I have not only a movie backlog but also a TV show backlog. I try & watch what I can when I get time but I just cant help buying more...lol especially if its a really good price. Right now to get through my back log I try to watch 1 movie a day & a season of my TV shows every weekend. I also only record 4 shows on cable right now, no longer have Netflix so that also helps.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Vic Pardo said:
Those pictures represent just a portion of my collection. I have a closet filled with boxes of tapes and DVDs, plus other wall shelves around the apartment. Funny you should mention the Joe E. Brown marathon. In September I actually watched seven Brown films I'd taped off TCM, six on one tape, one on another.

Every title I have is something I want to watch and I prefer having it on hand to waiting till I want to watch it and then looking for it somewhere for rental or downloading or waiting till it comes on TV. The problem, of course, is that I probably don't have enough years left to see everything I want to watch.

At some point, though, I'm going to have to start culling. I'd hate to die and leave my daughter the task of getting rid of it all.

But I have cut back considerably on buying new stuff.
There's just too much choice these days (I've decided I don't like choice). Remember the days before VHS, DVD, Blu-ray & TV recorders. A film came on TV that you really wanted to see, you stayed in & watched it, the same with a film at the cinema. I have a fraction of your collection, & I have trouble deciding what to watch, with about 20 amarays spread around on the floor, what shall it be? Western, horror, comedy, or get a start on that Chinese wall of TV box sets, oh, lets finish that book. I don't like big menus either, I think I'd rather someone say, there's either that or that, mate! Lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks