1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Wonderstruck on Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Jake Lipson, Dec 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Almost no one saw it, but Todd Haynes' new movie, Wonderstruck, is one of my favorite films of the year so far.

It is an Amazon Studios production, released theatrically via Roadside Attractions, with an unfortunately low
    domestic total of $1,033,632 per Box Office Mojo. Because Amazon produced it, I knew that it would eventually come to Amazon Prime, and Amazon now indicates that Prime members will be able to stream it beginning January 19. This surprises me only because I have not yet heard anything about a Blu-ray release, and typically they do that first. For example, The Big Sick came to Prime around Thanksgiving following a disc release in September.

Then I looked on Vudu and see that they have Wonderstruck listed for release on January 2, which would be two weeks before Prime gets it. But of course, Vudu is also digital streaming There is no pre-order listing for Wonderstruck on Amazon or anywhere else I can find, and I haven't seen a press release posted here either.

I know the gross was unfortunately pretty low, but I hope they're not skipping a disc release. My family are Prime members, so I would be able to stream it, but I really want to own this beautiful film for my permanent disc collection.

Has anyone heard anything about disc plans for this title? Thanks.

benbess and TravisR like this.
  2. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    The fact that no one gives a crap about this film is sickening. Of the fifteen films I've seen this year, this is my favorite. And no one cares. They'd rather see all this Oscar bait BS that's truly awful and believe me I've seen my share of it in the last two weeks, and that includes the much lauded Call Me By Your Name, which I found insufferable, and the equally lauded The Florida Project, which I also found insufferable and irritating. Millicent Simmonds should not only be nominated for supporting actress, she should win, but no one is seeing it, and that includes people in the Academy, DGA, and WGA who get screeners. This one just sits there.

TravisR and Jake Lipson like this.
  3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Bruce, we are in complete agreement on the merits of the film.

In terms of its awards potential, it deserves a lot more than this but I hope that it can at least break through on Best Score, but it won't if no one watches it.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm glad to see a couple of other folks saw this movie because it was excellent.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  5. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Excellent film! The silent portions are what The Artist should have looked like in style. A great achievement.

TravisR and Jake Lipson like this.
  6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I'm bumping this thread because Wonderstruck has now been added to Amazon Prime Video. If you're a Prime member and haven't seen it yet, make sure to watch it. It's great.

Still no sign of a Blu-ray or DVD release though, and even though I can stream it, I still want one. Sigh. If anybody knows anything about one, I'd love to hear it.

Eric Vedowski, TravisR and Blimpoy06 like this.
  7. Message #7 of 20 Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    I liked Wonderstruck too.

I really enjoyed the mixture of eras and style, and I thought all of the performances were very good. Wonderful production design.

Jake Lipson and TravisR like this.
  8. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    What I wrote back in December has sadly come true. SAG didn't even send out screeners for this one or have it available for viewing digitally. Score is the only chance it has. DGA members that I know told me they just didn't feel like watching it - why??? They should turn in their cards or they should not be sent ANY screeners. So, a great movie will go without awards save for maybe a score nomination, but it won't win. And the only reason it may get a score nomination is because the music branch of the Academy listens to their CDs. I guarantee you the acting branch did not watch the movie because had they young Ms. Simmonds would have been nominated.

TravisR and benbess like this.
  9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

You'd think the name value and talent of Julianne Moore would make it a lock to get some SAG recognition. I'd think even Michelle Williams, who granted does have a very small part, would get it some play.

10. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Some Directors' Guild members hold so little respect for Todd Haynes???:(

TravisR likes this.
  11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, I know the general public isn't aware of him but I would think most DGA members would be well aware of and appreciate his work.

benbess and Jake Lipson like this.
  12. Message #12 of 20 Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Michelle Williams isn't in it very much, but I liked it better than either of her two other releases last year (The Greatest Showman and All the Money in the World) personally. And Julianne Moore is coming off her Oscar win for Still Alice.

Also, Todd Haynes' last film, Carol, was nominated for six Oscars and likely just missed the cut for a Best Picture nomination. And Brian Seleznck is the author of the book which became Hugo, which was nominated for 11, including Best Picture, and won five. That's a lot of previously-decorated talent to be completely ignored this time around.

If you had told me in November when I saw it that we would be having a conversation about this film maybe not coming to disc at all, I wouldn't have believed you. But here we are.

haineshisway, benbess and TravisR like this.
  13. Message #13 of 20 Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    It's not much -- there's no release date or distributor listed -- but Amazon is finally taking pre-orders for this on Blu-ray:

https://www.amazon.com/Wonderstruck-Blu-ray/dp/B07BTRJXRB?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-016-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07BTRJXRB&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'll wait until we get some firmer details about when it's coming to lock in my pre-order, but I'm very glad this is happening, belated though it is.

Edit: It looks like it will be a BD-R MOD release.

Richard M S, bujaki and TravisR like this.
  14. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Amazon's pre-order listing has been updated to list a May 22 release date.

Richard M S likes this.
  15. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Now that the Blu-ray is available via Amazon, has anyone gotten it yet? I would love to hear how the quality is.

16. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    StudioCanal in the UK has announced their Blu-ray edition of Wonderstruck for release on July 30, which appears to be a pressed disc and has bonus features.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23538

So a couple questions:

1) Does anyone have Amazon's print-on-demand version of this? Does it have bonus features?
    2) If no, are StudioCanal Blu-rays region locked? It might be worth ordering from the UK if the US version doesn't have the supplements.

17. James Luckard

James Luckard Stunt Coordinator

I have the Amazon US BD. It has all six of those featurettes, and a seventh, "The Music of Wonderstruck." I haven't watched it yet, but it does not list the interviews as being on the disc. It's not barebones though.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  18. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Glad this thread was bumped because I hadn't seen the last set of posts and had no idea an MOD Blu-ray had been done - I just ordered it from Amazon and will have it on Tuesday and will report back. I'll also check on the Studio Canal release in the UK.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  19. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Just preordered the Studio Canal, too.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  20. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I feel like a complete idiot right now considering that I started this thread and really wanted this on Blu-ray.

But...there were also other things that I wanted that weren't immediately included with my Prime membership at no cost. So I put off buying it. I did and do want it, but it wasn't the immediate priority.

Now, I looked again on Amazon and found that the Blu-ray appears to have been discontinued. There is only the DVD now, which has been marked down to $10.

I should have bought this a long time ago.

Does anyone know of anywhere other than Amazon that is still selling it? It seems unlikely since Amazon produced the film, so they'd be the most natural place to keep it in stock.

Or....if I have to go the UK import route...is it region free? Will it work in my U.S. player?

I'm really (metaphorically) beating myself up over this one.

Like I said, I'm an idiot.