What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Transformers Limited Edition Steelbook 6-Movie Collection -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Hasbro/Dreamworks/Paramount trifecta which created the Transformer films - all seven of them as features thus far, with the newest Transformers: Rise of the Beasts arriving next week in a theater near you.

Afaik, the first six, inclusive of Bumblebee, have been released in 4k, so this is the second time they've been packaged.

Initially, it was a 5-movie collection, realized in 2018. That's now selling for $44 on Amazon, down from an MSRP of $70.

The new (heavy) set, adds Bumblebee, newly (and expensively) packaged as six Steelbooks within a specially designed outer shell with a side that closes magnetically. There have been several special 4k editions created in this or a similar manner - a couple that stand out off the top of my head are Game of Thrones from WB and the Indiana Jones Collection from Paramount.

This is a class act, and should thrill Transformers fans, even at the current price of $135, which is well below the value of early collectible transformers.

As I'm certain it's been reported, these are state of the art 4k UHDs, with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision, and may be the rationale for some to do the upgrade to 4k, as they're beautifully produced.

Although not a fan of the series, I do appreciated the original and Bumblebee, both of which are great fun.

For collectors, be aware that this is an actual limited edition, and will most likely go out of print.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS HD-MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4.25

Worth your attention - 5 - 8

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely, if that's all you've got

Slipcover rating - 9 (one point dinged, as the box doesn't turn into anything. Tried and failed.)

Highly Recommended

RAH

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
No sale for me if the slipcover doesn't actually transform. /s

You'll have to hunt down this one, then.

bumblebee1.jpg

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I actually watched Bumblebee this morning with my son, and was delightedly reminded at how much better it is than the rest of the series.

Funny thing, but I had no idea that Bumblebee was part of the Transformers IP until after I'd bought it. I just thought it looked interesting from the TV spots. I didn't think it was a great movie, but I did enjoy it.

I still haven't watched any of the Transformers films. Michael Bay's name is an instant "yeah...no" for me.

Similarly, I watched Hobbs & Shaw because it was directed by David Leitch, and enjoyed that for the most part. I still haven't seen, nor have any interest in seeing, any of the Fast & Furious movies.

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I still haven't seen, nor have any interest in seeing, any of the Fast & Furious movies.
The Fast & Furious movies were instantly enjoyable as soon as I treated them as what the GI Joe movies should have been. Hell, Hobbes & Shaw was basically a live action GI Joe Special Missions movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks