Acoustics of movie posters

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave Nibeck, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

I have a combined family/HT. Three walls are panelling and 1 is brick (an acoustical nightmare).

I built several absorption panels that helped a bit but the WAF was not good. To make matters worse, the wife purchased several movie poster and had mounted in glass frames. She did not want to hear about reflections.

I just found a good source for OC 703 and 705 panels. I am going to remake the absorption panels. The new panels should be about 1/2 the depth of my other ones.

I was trying to think of a way to build poster frames using the 703 as backing.

Will the posters pass enough sound to make this an effective absorber? Has anyone tried this before?

2. Dave Nibeck

I have a combined family/HT. Three walls are panelling and 1 is brick (an acoustical nightmare).

I built several absorption panels that helped a bit but the WAF was not good. To make matters worse, the wife purchased several movie poster and had mounted in glass frames. She did not want to hear about reflections.

I just found a good source for OC 703 and 705 panels. I am going to remake the absorption panels. The new panels should be about 1/2 the depth of my other ones.

I was trying to think of a way to build poster frames using the 703 as backing.

Will the posters pass enough sound to make this an effective absorber? Has anyone tried this before?

3. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

> Will the posters pass enough sound to make this an effective absorber? <

Yes, but only for the lower frequencies. At higher frequencies the paper will reflect, and reduce the effectiveness of the rigid fiberglass. But it's still worth doing if the only choices are that or no treatment at all.

--Ethan

4. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

> Will the posters pass enough sound to make this an effective absorber? <

Yes, but only for the lower frequencies. At higher frequencies the paper will reflect, and reduce the effectiveness of the rigid fiberglass. But it's still worth doing if the only choices are that or no treatment at all.

--Ethan

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

what about adding things like plants or drapes etc to help tame those walls?

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

what about adding things like plants or drapes etc to help tame those walls?

7. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Wait a minute, are you going to keep the glass over the posters? The glass would cause way more reflections than the paper ever would. In my opinion, movie posters belong in a hall leading to the home theater room, not in it.

8. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Wait a minute, are you going to keep the glass over the posters? The glass would cause way more reflections than the paper ever would. In my opinion, movie posters belong in a hall leading to the home theater room, not in it.

9. Dave Nibeck

No, I was not going to leave the glass on. I did not think it would work. Moving the pictures to the hall would displace family photos. That will help my popularity!

Compromises : )

10. Theon

Theon Agent

How bad is brick? And how can you treat it?