What's new

Acoustic Treatments Placement Suggestions Needed (1 Viewer)

Jeff16

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Hello Community,

I am hoping to get some suggestions on strategic placement of a few acoustic panels and possibly bass traps for my basement home theater area. I have a 7.2.4 setup and have been listening now for the past 6 months. Overall, I am happy with the sound, but also know there is room for improvement in the room acoustics. For example, when we have a lot of people down at the bar area hanging out the conversation can definitely create some reverberations that raise the overall room noise level. I am planning to add a game table / chairs in one of the open spaces to keep trying to fill in the space a bit. The clap test does produce some reverb, which I am hoping to bring down some with acoustic treatments.

I will preface by saying I am not looking to "chase the fractions" or seeking acoustic perfection. I know having an open space is already not ideal, but the layout was more important to me. I am also not looking to put acoustic paneling all over the walls / ceiling both for cost and aesthetic reasons. I am not crazy about the idea of DIY either and prefer to buy a finished product. I am looking to put up some movie posters / photography and am interested in the companies that offer acoustic panels that can be made with art/photo covering instead of adding more reflective surfacing. There is a lot of space behind the listening position and I can't say when I am listening to music / movies that I am noticeably hearing any echoes or distortion, but just part of me knows it is there and I'd like to try to make some improvements.

I am hoping that by providing pictures, I can get some input on where the must-have spaces to cover are which will help with the most prominent reflection points. A few questions / comments:

1) For acoustic panel placement, my early thoughts were the side walls under the side surround speakers, the wall between the two doors (seen on picture titled Looking Right from MLP)....opposite of that would be closet doors which isn't impossible, but not ideal. And possibly behind the towers on the front walls. Appreciate any comments supporting or contradicting this thinking!
2) For bass traps the only corners that would seemingly make sense are the two corners around the closet doors.....would adding two here and not addressing any other corners be worth it? I don't want to create any imbalance in the room, so only want to add bass traps if where I can put them will actually help.
3) I tried to put the rear atmos speakers as far back as possible, but had to deal with a soffit that couldn't be moved. As a result, the rear atmos speakers are on a plane directly overhead of the MLP. Is the corner where the soffit wall meets the ceiling something that needs to be treated? Would that area be a high reflection point?

I am trying to balance acoustic performance vs aesthetics and really appreciate any guidance and suggestions you can provide. Also, if anyone has a preferred company for supplying the acoustic paneling that can apply images, I would appreciate it...Home Theater Seattle is one site I came across.

Thank you!

Mitch

Attachments

• Behind MLP.jpg
    Behind MLP.jpg
    857.7 KB · Views: 115
  • From Corner to the Right of TV.jpg
    From Corner to the Right of TV.jpg
    826.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Larger Opening connected to HT Area.jpg
    Larger Opening connected to HT Area.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 106
  • Looking Left from MLP.jpg
    Looking Left from MLP.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • Looking Right from MLP.jpg
    Looking Right from MLP.jpg
    787.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Looking Towards HT Area.jpg
    Looking Towards HT Area.jpg
    800.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Main Listening Position View.jpg
    Main Listening Position View.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
  • Measurements.jpg
    Measurements.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Space Behind.jpg
    Space Behind.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 104
  • View From Side Wall.jpg
    View From Side Wall.jpg
    927.9 KB · Views: 112

CyFactor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince Turner
I was researching underlayment options for my theater build in progress and stumbled across these folks: https://www.audimute.com/

Mallory was very friendly. I just ordered 8 rolls of their 6.4mm Peacemaker Sound Barrier to cover the floor (since it's above my office and a spare bedroom). I know that's not what you're asking, but I also found out that they do acoustic panels (standard shapes or custom). Mallory directed me to https://www.guilfordofmaine.com/ who does their fabrics, and I just ordered some fabric samples. Round one for me involves two 2x4 panels vertically behind the front R/L speakers and another 2x4 panel horizontally behind the center channel in a color that compliments the paint and carpet scheme.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hello Community,

I am hoping to get some suggestions on strategic placement of a few acoustic panels and possibly bass traps for my basement home theater area. I have a 7.2.4 setup and have been listening now for the past 6 months. Overall, I am happy with the sound, but also know there is room for improvement in the room acoustics. For example, when we have a lot of people down at the bar area hanging out the conversation can definitely create some reverberations that raise the overall room noise level. I am planning to add a game table / chairs in one of the open spaces to keep trying to fill in the space a bit. The clap test does produce some reverb, which I am hoping to bring down some with acoustic treatments.

I will preface by saying I am not looking to "chase the fractions" or seeking acoustic perfection. I know having an open space is already not ideal, but the layout was more important to me. I am also not looking to put acoustic paneling all over the walls / ceiling both for cost and aesthetic reasons. I am not crazy about the idea of DIY either and prefer to buy a finished product. I am looking to put up some movie posters / photography and am interested in the companies that offer acoustic panels that can be made with art/photo covering instead of adding more reflective surfacing. There is a lot of space behind the listening position and I can't say when I am listening to music / movies that I am noticeably hearing any echoes or distortion, but just part of me knows it is there and I'd like to try to make some improvements.

I am hoping that by providing pictures, I can get some input on where the must-have spaces to cover are which will help with the most prominent reflection points. A few questions / comments:

1) For acoustic panel placement, my early thoughts were the side walls under the side surround speakers, the wall between the two doors (seen on picture titled Looking Right from MLP)....opposite of that would be closet doors which isn't impossible, but not ideal. And possibly behind the towers on the front walls. Appreciate any comments supporting or contradicting this thinking!
2) For bass traps the only corners that would seemingly make sense are the two corners around the closet doors.....would adding two here and not addressing any other corners be worth it? I don't want to create any imbalance in the room, so only want to add bass traps if where I can put them will actually help.
3) I tried to put the rear atmos speakers as far back as possible, but had to deal with a soffit that couldn't be moved. As a result, the rear atmos speakers are on a plane directly overhead of the MLP. Is the corner where the soffit wall meets the ceiling something that needs to be treated? Would that area be a high reflection point?

I am trying to balance acoustic performance vs aesthetics and really appreciate any guidance and suggestions you can provide. Also, if anyone has a preferred company for supplying the acoustic paneling that can apply images, I would appreciate it...Home Theater Seattle is one site I came across.

Thank you!

Mitch
Mitch,

Great looking space!

1) You will get the most benefit from treating the point of first reflection. It's hard to tell from your photos if that wall on the right will cover the PFR - but I suspect so. You will ideally want your treatments to be symmetrical left and right in the room at least for regular acoustic panels. You will also definitely benefit from some damping behind the towers and center if you can do so. It might make sense to get a set of panels that can cover that entire section.

2) Even a single corner fully trapped will make a difference. You'll just need to ensure you have space. I am a fan of the GIK Acoustics Tri-Traps, and use several in my theater. Just keep in mind that they measure approximately 2' on the short "corner" sides.

3) Nothing really needs treatment here, though you could hang some traps there for additional bass control, something like the GIK soffit trap: https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-soffit-bass-trap/ - you can mount them in the soffit for a very attractive result, and with the custom sizes - blend nicely into the ceiling/soffit.

Regarding appearance of panels, and art, GIK also has you covered with their art panels. I generally like to recommend the 4 or 6 inch where possible, since they also help with the bass region. If these won't work, go as thick as you can.

GIK does offer free room consults, so I'd suggest sharing the above with them also to get their feedback.

Hope this helps.

Jeff16

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Mitch,

Great looking space!

1) You will get the most benefit from treating the point of first reflection. It's hard to tell from your photos if that wall on the right will cover the PFR - but I suspect so. You will ideally want your treatments to be symmetrical left and right in the room at least for regular acoustic panels. You will also definitely benefit from some damping behind the towers and center if you can do so. It might make sense to get a set of panels that can cover that entire section.

2) Even a single corner fully trapped will make a difference. You'll just need to ensure you have space. I am a fan of the GIK Acoustics Tri-Traps, and use several in my theater. Just keep in mind that they measure approximately 2' on the short "corner" sides.

3) Nothing really needs treatment here, though you could hang some traps there for additional bass control, something like the GIK soffit trap: https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-soffit-bass-trap/ - you can mount them in the soffit for a very attractive result, and with the custom sizes - blend nicely into the ceiling/soffit.

Regarding appearance of panels, and art, GIK also has you covered with their art panels. I generally like to recommend the 4 or 6 inch where possible, since they also help with the bass region. If these won't work, go as thick as you can.

GIK does offer free room consults, so I'd suggest sharing the above with them also to get their feedback.

Hope this helps.
Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to respond and provide some recommendations. I actually just recently started researching again on this and am planning to make some decisions on it soon. I was planning to try the mirror test to see where my reflection points are. I am assuming that the side wall acoustic panels should be mounted around ear height?

I was definitely planning to get two vertical panels to be placed slightly inside/behind the towers - not sure I can do anything with the Center since it is on a built-in cubby shelf. Think I can make a 4" depth panel work in that space. On the side walls, will see how it lines up with mirror test and try to come up with a solution.

Regarding bass traps, I have read mixed thoughts on the effectiveness of these. With bass waves spreading as much as they do I just don't know if I believe in their effectiveness - or whether I would notice any change. I will take your advice and check out GIK and get their thoughts and then make a decision.

One other question - would diffusers on the back wall by the bar be worth considering? I do notice when we have a bunch of people down at the bar that the voices can seem to carry in the room. We added a table and 4 chairs to the open space and will continue trying to fill up the room a bit to help. FWIW, I have never noticed any distortion while watching movies / listening to music, but that could also just be my 40 year old ears.

Thank you!

Mitch

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to respond and provide some recommendations. I actually just recently started researching again on this and am planning to make some decisions on it soon. I was planning to try the mirror test to see where my reflection points are. I am assuming that the side wall acoustic panels should be mounted around ear height?

I was definitely planning to get two vertical panels to be placed slightly inside/behind the towers - not sure I can do anything with the Center since it is on a built-in cubby shelf. Think I can make a 4" depth panel work in that space. On the side walls, will see how it lines up with mirror test and try to come up with a solution.

Regarding bass traps, I have read mixed thoughts on the effectiveness of these. With bass waves spreading as much as they do I just don't know if I believe in their effectiveness - or whether I would notice any change. I will take your advice and check out GIK and get their thoughts and then make a decision.

One other question - would diffusers on the back wall by the bar be worth considering? I do notice when we have a bunch of people down at the bar that the voices can seem to carry in the room. We added a table and 4 chairs to the open space and will continue trying to fill up the room a bit to help. FWIW, I have never noticed any distortion while watching movies / listening to music, but that could also just be my 40 year old ears.

Thank you!

Mitch
Mitch,

I'm not sure where you read anything questioning the efficacy of bass traps, however there is ample evidence that they are probably the most important acoustic treatment you can do. Now, freestanding bass traps (pillars/columns) are less effective than corner traps, which is where modal energy builds up, so you do absolutely want to treat corners.

Diffusion is not a bad idea on back walls, and can help with overall sound - but is far less important than the more conventional trapping. I'd start with those and treat diffusion as a last step. GIK has a model of regular trap that also supports diffusion (scatter plate) as well, so I'd ask them if that is possible with the art panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks