You Subwoofer Thoughts Requested!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Martin Rendall, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Hi all,

I have been waiting until I'm ready to build my new HT before buying a subwoofer. Specifically, usage will be about 30% DVDs, 30% hi rez, 20% CD, and 20% Xbox.

I built a nice tube preamp for 2 channel, with an HT bypass switch for integration with a receiver and my amp. Speakers are Studio 100's, CC, and 20's for the surrounds.

Now the choice: I had pretty well decided on the Servo 15, for its purported musicality. However, there's an opportunity for acquiring a two year old SVS 16-46CS with newer ISD driver and a plate amp for less than half the expected cost of the Servo 15.

I know that even the "lowly" CS subs are nothing to disregard lightly. I also gather from searching the archives that this particular sub won't be quite the level of the Servo 15, but probably pretty darn close.

So I need some subjective feedback: what would you do?

Thanks!
    Martin.

2. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Martin:

You may want to read the review over at Secrets on the new Seismic 12:

Seismic 12 Review

It is an absolutely incredible performer - I personally feel it outdoes the Servo 15.

Jeff.

3. Martin Rendall

Hi Jeff,

To rich for my blood! Looks like a winner, though.

Martin.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Well, if that’s the case, then the used SVS will give better performance-per-dollar than a new Servo.

I’m a firm believer in matching the sub for the room – i.e., one big enough and powerful enough to deliver all the output you need and the extension you want, with headroom to spare. This means if you have say, a large family room that’s open to other areas of the house, you don’t try to get away with an 150-watt, 10” sub.

As long as both subs are “overkill” for your room, I expect you’ll be happy with either, especially after you equalize.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Martin Rendall

Interesting. The room is an awkward third floor loft - about 22' by 24', and the ceiling as high as about 10' at the peak. I'd estimate volume to be about 3500 to 4000 cubic feet.

Gosh, I really hope I won't need two subs. [​IMG]

Martin.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Your room is about the same size as mine and my HSU VTF-2 handles it just fine, but then I am not a basshead either. I get some good rumble with it at just 40% gain, so I'd say a single SVS PB1 ISD or a 25-31PCi would be plenty, unless you are looking for more extension.