What's new

You Subwoofer Thoughts Requested! (1 Viewer)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Hi all,

I have been waiting until I'm ready to build my new HT before buying a subwoofer. Specifically, usage will be about 30% DVDs, 30% hi rez, 20% CD, and 20% Xbox.

I built a nice tube preamp for 2 channel, with an HT bypass switch for integration with a receiver and my amp. Speakers are Studio 100's, CC, and 20's for the surrounds.

Now the choice: I had pretty well decided on the Servo 15, for its purported musicality. However, there's an opportunity for acquiring a two year old SVS 16-46CS with newer ISD driver and a plate amp for less than half the expected cost of the Servo 15.

I know that even the "lowly" CS subs are nothing to disregard lightly. I also gather from searching the archives that this particular sub won't be quite the level of the Servo 15, but probably pretty darn close.

So I need some subjective feedback: what would you do?

Thanks!
Martin.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Martin:

You may want to read the review over at Secrets on the new Seismic 12:

Seismic 12 Review

It is an absolutely incredible performer - I personally feel it outdoes the Servo 15.

Jeff.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, if that’s the case, then the used SVS will give better performance-per-dollar than a new Servo.

I’m a firm believer in matching the sub for the room – i.e., one big enough and powerful enough to deliver all the output you need and the extension you want, with headroom to spare. This means if you have say, a large family room that’s open to other areas of the house, you don’t try to get away with an 150-watt, 10” sub.

As long as both subs are “overkill” for your room, I expect you’ll be happy with either, especially after you equalize.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Interesting. The room is an awkward third floor loft - about 22' by 24', and the ceiling as high as about 10' at the peak. I'd estimate volume to be about 3500 to 4000 cubic feet.

Gosh, I really hope I won't need two subs. :eek:

Martin.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your room is about the same size as mine and my HSU VTF-2 handles it just fine, but then I am not a basshead either. I get some good rumble with it at just 40% gain, so I'd say a single SVS PB1 ISD or a 25-31PCi would be plenty, unless you are looking for more extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks