JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I believe these recordings were originally released as multi-channel SACDs. Do you listen multi-channel or stereo?

You've inspired me to give these a shot. I just ordered from Amazon the 2017 release which is a reissue that includes the SACDs for Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake and Nutcracker. Should be here Thursday.
Mike, thanks for the heads up on that release. It never occurred to me there was an SACD release of these. I had actually bought The Nutcracker from HDTracks as well, only to discover what I received was a different recording of Sleeping Beauty. They refunded it and took it off their site, but it's never reappeared. When I looked, the 5 disc SACD set it was selling for $60, which was just too good a deal for a 5 disc SACD set, so I ordered it. I have to wait for it to arrive from the UK though. No telling how long that will take. I'm not much for surround music, but at least with classical it's the natural ambiance of the hall. Not to mention, I'll now have the two channel DSD version, which I am presuming the 96/24 versions were down-sampled from. I'm anticipating the day when I can play back that with a premium DAC, as opposed to the options I have now. I'm wanting to update my HD music playback with something that can play DSD.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My two SB-16 Ultras came this morning.

Unfortunately it's Canadian Thanksgiving weekend so I may not get a chance to play much if at all until next week.
...and?

I watched the opening sequence of Baby Driver last night for grins. It takes on an entirely new dimension with the extension and power of the SB-16 Ultras vs. the sub they replaced.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Mike, thanks for the heads up on that release. It never occurred to me there was an SACD release of these. I had actually bought The Nutcracker from HDTracks as well, only to discover what I received was a different recording of Sleeping Beauty. They refunded it and took it off their site, but it's never reappeared. When I looked, the 5 disc SACD set it was selling for $60, which was just too good a deal for a 5 disc SACD set, so I ordered it. I have to wait for it to arrive from the UK though. No telling how long that will take. I'm not much for surround music, but at least with classical it's the natural ambiance of the hall. Not to mention, I'll now have the two channel DSD version, which I am presuming the 96/24 versions were down-sampled from. I'm anticipating the day when I can play back that with a premium DAC, as opposed to the options I have now. I'm wanting to update my HD music playback with something that can play DSD.

So wait, which exact SACD set are we talking here? A link please? For $60, I may wanna buy too...

Also would love to have some good BDs of them (w/ all-around excellent performances, PQ and AQ). That may be much harder to come by though...

Thanks!

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So wait, which exact SACD set are we talking here? A link please? For $60, I may wanna buy too...

Also would love to have some good BDs of them (w/ all-around excellent performances, PQ and AQ). That may be much harder to come by though...

Thanks!

_Man_
Well, I said it was $60 when I ordered it, which it no longer is. There is currently a "Like New" set for $61.49, with an absurd 4-6 week delivery estimate.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Holy...crap!

To say it completely changed my sound stage would not be hyperbolic.

We watched The Matrix. This is the first movie we watch every time we make a "substantial" change to our system. It's been that way since the original DVD release (I skipped the laserdisc since I had recently went "all in" on DVD--and joined this fourm!).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to update, a little more than a year later.

I'm still completely impressed with the SB-16 Ultras. I never, never, NEVER will go back to ported subs. Even the objectively "insufficient" SB-2000 I have in my living room fulfills my needs. Not that I would object to duals, or maybe duals of a higher model, but I love that fact that sealed subs never get sloppy or have port noise.

Also, sometime shortly after I posted this review, SVS fixed the lack of rotation in their app. It now works with the device horizontal, which is how I always use my iPad.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Also, sometime shortly after I posted this review, SVS fixed the lack of rotation in their app. It now works with the device horizontal, which is how I always use my iPad.
I don't know how I missed this comment previously. I contacted SVS about this after purchasing my subs. So far, it doesn't appear the fix has made it to the Android platform. Maybe I need to upgrade the app?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know how I missed this comment previously. I contacted SVS about this after purchasing my subs. So far, it doesn't appear the fix has made it to the Android platform. Maybe I need to upgrade the app?
Is there an update available? I always keep apps updated.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No idea. Maybe they only bothered fixing the IOS version. Will try to find out tomorrow.
That surprises me. I've never used Android, but on iOS it's rather obvious when there are app updates.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Not sure what's going on at this point. I removed the app from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S, assuming a fresh install would be the best way of assuring I had the latest version. When I went to reinstall, the app in the Google Play store said it was incompatible with my device and would not allow me to proceed.

I then turned to my iPhone, which also has the app. I installed it for familiarization purposes before taking possession of the SB4000's but never actually used it. Trying to use it today, I was not able to establish connectivity with either sub. I'll be reaching out to SVS for some guidance.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not sure what's going on at this point. I removed the app from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S, assuming a fresh install would be the best way of assuring I had the latest version. When I went to reinstall, the app in the Google Play store said it was incompatible with my device and would not allow me to proceed.

I then turned to my iPhone, which also has the app. I installed it for familiarization purposes before taking possession of the SB4000's but never actually used it. Trying to use it today, I was not able to establish connectivity with either sub. I'll be reaching out to SVS for some guidance.
Bluetooth is turned on?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
After speaking with SVS, a deinstall/reinstall took care of the issue on my iPhone [although the app still doesn't rotate - Maybe only on iPads?] but it continues to refuse to even install on my Samsung Tab S, which uses an older version of the Andriod OS. Replacing the tab isn't an option as newer models regrettably lack IR blasters.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
After speaking with SVS, a deinstall/reinstall took care of the issue on my iPhone [although the app still doesn't rotate - Maybe only on iPads?] but it continues to refuse to even install on my Samsung Tab S, which uses an older version of the Andriod OS. Replacing the tab isn't an option as newer models regrettably lack IR blasters.
That wouldn't surprise me, especially since vertical is the standard way to use a phone. I never installed it on my iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks