What's new

The SVS SB-2000, first sealed subwoofer and what a difference for music! (3 Viewers)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I originally had put my SB-2000 findings/review under another old thread but thought others may like to know what a great sub this is. I just talked again to SVS stating how much I loved the sound and was wondering if I could do better without losing the great quality with music. I was asking them about the PB-1000 pro, and PB-2000 (and Pro). I was told by SVS that none of those would sound as good as the SB-2000 with music. As for my needs, sealed is the only way to go. I was told my only true upgrade would be a SB-3000 or higher sealed sub. Ported have their place with home theater but for music as 1st priority, sealed is the way to go!

My son came over and heard the SVS SB-2000. He was surprised at how good it sounded and he now is a believer of sealed subs. He's heavily into music, not so much with home theater.

Here's my previous review:

Well almost a year later, my life has changed for the better and I have a bit more to spend. I really like the Klipsch R-120sw for $300, not sure it's really worth more. It will be doing media room duty now. I've been recently looking at subwoofers again for more deep bass and less upper bass. I am still space limited in my living room so the subwoofer had to be close to the wall and had a 3" space from port to the wall. Now that I know, I should not have gone with a rear ported sub. I found with the Klipsch R-120sw in my media room, which has more room for it surprisingly, that pulling the sub out from wall just 7" made it sound better. I couldn't do that in the living room as I have the front right speaker in front of it.

Anyhow, trying to find a sub to fit my space again was a chore. For the money and space limitations 19" tall, 15" wide, and 21" deep with all cords and knobs accounted for with a budget of $500 - $600. The main subs I wanted were out. That being the SVS PB-2000 for size and maybe price. The other was the SVS PB-1000 Pro but it lacked a lot compared to the 2000 series. Well I was able to get a SVS SB-2000 for $500 but was unsure as others said it would be a lateral move.

The SB-2000 was better in every way, substantially. The deep bass is phenomenal! Previously I could feel bass in the sofa with lower levels of ultra low bass rumble and midbass vibration. Now the entire couch just shakes from much higher levels of ultra low bass. The ultra low bass output is actually shocking. While some said ultra low bass may not be that great, I think room gain in my midsize living really elevated the ultra low bass output.

The best part which made the sub worth it over the Klipsch even it had the same ultra low bass, was the accuracy and the quality. SVS told me this is because it's a sealed sub but heavy metal rock really shows it's quality on bass drum rolls. It sounds so much more realistic than the Klipsch. Also I don't have that high midbass output on movies that sometimes sounded off. Now the movie bass is lower frequency with more rumble instead of the midbass vibration. It just sounds so good. The accuracy of the sub actually sounds better with the movies over music as I thought would be the opposite. Movies used to have a very high output of midbass vibration with lower levels of low bass rumble. Now the movie bass just seems more smooth.

The bass tracks of music is worth it alone as music just sound cleaner and more articulate. The bass punch is about equal but it's snaps more with a lower bass output that you feel in your chest.

Now I don't know if I'd like a ported SVS sub as much as I'm highly impressed with the articulation and accuracy in the bass with music. I've only had ported subs including my old late 90s Velodyne CT-100 10" sub and none ever sounded this good in articulation and smoothness alone!

So I think I finally found a keeper that excels in everything. BTW, it has plenty of outputs for my 1920 cubic ft room. I drove it very loud and it never sounded compressed, thinner or bloated. Very impressed.

The only negative, as with my other 8" subwoofers, is it's lower sensitivity. My Velodyne's volume was 3/10 with Denon LFE out set at -3db to match my speakers. The Klipsch's volume was 3/10 with Denon LFE out set at -7db. To match a -3db LFE output of my denon, I had to turn it up to 6/9. Now putting the volume at half way/12 o'clock, needed Denon LFE output at +6db. I did call SVS to see if this lower sensitivity was normal and they did say it was.

So I'm very very happy with my new SVS SB-2000!

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You already know I agree. In the SVS line, when considering all options, I will recommend sealed most of the time. For example, the SB3000 is only slightly more than the PB2000. The SB300 is the easy choice. The price jump is a little more going from a PB3000 to the SB4000, but still very much worth it, since that is a significant step up in overall sub performance.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
You already know I agree. In the SVS line, when considering all options, I will recommend sealed most of the time. For example, the SB3000 is only slightly more than the PB2000. The SB300 is the easy choice. The price jump is a little more going from a PB3000 to the SB4000, but still very much worth it, since that is a significant step up in overall sub performance.
Yep.

I was talking to SVS and stated to him I just loved the sound of the SB-2000 for music and movies, but was reading in the forums how many feel their SVS ported subs are just as good for music. While he said the ported subs were excellent for movies, they just aren't as good for music and he explained why. Now if my priority was home theater first and music second, he said he'd recommend a ported sub for their overall output but he said no ported sub is going to sound as good for music as a sealed sub.

I asked him about what would be an upgrade over my SB-2000, he honestly said the only upgrade he'd do was the SB-3000. He felt that the PB-1000 Pro and PB-2000 (Pro also) would be a down grade in music sound quality and not worth the extra output.

He did say the Pro version, he thought was a worth while investment. I went over the Pro features and while nice, I honestly don't think I'd use any of them. The cost would almost double going to a Pro version and I feel that a Mini dsp, Mic, and REW would be cheaper with more benefit. However, I feel I don't need any of them and the sub sounds excellent where it's at. He didn't actually recommend a SB-2000 Pro version as an upgrade but the SB-3000.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’ve used a Paradigm Servo-15 v1 (sealed sub) for the past 20+ years. While it’s a fantastic sub, it’s underpowered and my plan is to buy an SVS (whatever the equivalent of the SB16-Ultra is at that time) whenever my parents pass and I regain my dedicated HT room.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I’ve used a Paradigm Servo-15 v1 (sealed sub) for the past 20+ years. While it’s a fantastic sub, it’s underpowered and my plan is to buy an SVS (whatever the equivalent of the SB16-Ultra is at that time) whenever my parents pass and I regain my dedicated HT room.
Judging by this review, the reviewer thought it wasn't putting out enough bass either. However, back in 2003, subs weren't nearly as good as what we have now and were very expensive back then. That Paradigm had a $1500 MSRP. My old Velodyne CT-100 had a MSRP of $500 back in 1998, and it was only equal to todays budget subs. My new SVS SB-2000 has low bass that Velodyne only could dream about, along with power output, and sound quality for what was $700 a few years back (got mine recently for $500 and got the Velodyne for $300 back in '98). SVS seems to have some of the best subs out there for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.