What's new

X-Files 1/13/02 (1 Viewer)

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Chauncey,

I stopped watching X-Files this season after the 2 part opener. Up till then I had seen every single episode when they premiered.

If the X-Files was simply a show about investigations of paranormal phenomena (i.e. no mythology) then it probably could go on indefinitely with different lead actors brought in to replace the outgoing ones.

But CC introduced the mythology storyline which is what really hooked me. For me, the stand-alones were filler eps in between the mythology. Although I like stand-alones (especially from the first three seasons), the mythology is what really interests me.

Since "Fight the Future", the mythology has become a complete mess. They have also managed to kill every single character that might have been able to clear things up. Think of all the secrets that Mulder's mother took to the grave! Not to mention Krycek, CSM(?), X, Deep Throat, Bill Mulder, Duane Barry, Well Manicured Man and the rest.

All I've wanted from the X-Files is an ending to the original mythology. All it seems CC wants to do is forget it and move on to something else.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
For all those who are tired of or disaffected from the show, I have a question.
First, a preface. The X-Files for me is one part intrigue (conspiracy) series, one part horror series, one part science fiction series, one part personal drama.
I look at it on the basis of its supernatural elements (which the "John Doe" episode was almost totally lacking) and, to me, it's still the best show on tv for that kind of thing. (Some of the cheesy cable series don't do it for me.)
I always disliked the bloated "mythology" episodes (except for the "Patient X" (?) and its sequel "The Red and the Black"), 'cause I never liked spy and intrigue stuff. During ratings period I always go: "'ho-hum!' More car chases and gun shots". I myself am a sucker for a good monster episode. ("Squeeze" is the episode that first hooked me on the show.)
So, if you once liked the show, what one thing, if anything, specifically did you like about it to make it worth seeing week after week? More importantly, what are or would you be looking at now for the samereason(s) you followed X-Files before, if you did (or do) not watch it regularly now? What, if any, other shows now fill that same function for you?
One often hears about how some show or other "ain't what it used to be", but, then, what is?!? They said the same thing about Seinfeld in its final days. Even lesser Seinfeld is a whole lot funnier than 90% of what passes for comedy on tv now.
I don't know what will fill the science-fiction/supernatural vacuum for me if and when the X-Files goes off. (But too many more episodes like that one and it won't matter anyway.)

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I'll take a stab at this from a non-mythology episode point of view:

I don't know what will fill the science-fiction/supernatural vacuum for me if and when the X-Files goes off. (But too many more episodes like that one and it won't matter anyway.)
I don't think anything could take the place of X-Files to me. There are other science fiction shows I like (Farscape, Smallville, Enterprise) but none will replace X-Files. X-Files was very unique.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Every time someone starts a thread to discuss the current week's episode, it turns into a conversation about how someone doesn't watch the show any more which by definition means that they did not see the episode being discussed. Michael Reuben tried a preemptive strike via sarcasm, but it ended up goading people into the exact discussion he wanted to avoid. For the sake of future episode discussions, would anyone be disagreeable to referring those kind of discussions back to this thread?
Anyhoo, I thought the amnesia in Mexico episode was just OK. I actually preferred last week's unseen Mulder episode to this one. I think the big problem for me was a weak antagonist. I have no problem with him being mysterious and not revealing the source of his "powers", but I can't forgive him for being dull. These kind of episodes work best when the antagonist has some motivation for their actions that puts them at odds with the FBI agents. Something more complex or sympathetic than "he's the memory eraser for the cartel", anyway.
It was nice to see Doggett being somewhat resourceful and using his tatoo to fill a memory gap (royalty check in the mail to Christopher Nolan, I'm sure :)), but you really don't learn much about him that has not already been explained previously.
Regards,

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Not that I think that there should never be any comedy in the X-Files. Mulder's dry wit is always good for a laugh. One of my favorite X-writers, Vince Gilligan has written some great ones such as "Small Potatos" and "Bad Blood". These episodes were humorous without being over the top.
If you ask me, this is exactly what this season needs. A good comedy episode to lighten things up a bit. It would also help the audience accept these new characters and begin to forget Mulder.

I've always loved the humor episodes because it not only proves that the show doesn't take itself so seriously, but that sometimes paranormal events are just absurdly funny.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
How soon we forget the episode of bug-boy, that episode was filled with bits of comedic touches.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks