1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Batwoman - season 1 (The CW)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, May 17, 2019.

1. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    OK, another whole Alice episode, part backstory and part today tale. While I admit it's intriguing to see this backstory, I am SO over Alice. I'm not sure I'm going to continue watching.

2. DaveHof3

DaveHof3 Stunt Coordinator

David Hofstede
    I'm an easy audience for superhero stuff, but I bailed on this show halfway through the third episode. Between this and "Gotham" and "Pennyworth," I'm just burned out on almost-Batman shows. Either give us a real one or stop trying to make supporting characters carry a series.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I'm continuing to really enjoy this. Another fun, sufficiently theatrical episodic villain. The Executioner is another obscure Batman villain that appeared in a different form on "Gotham" -- albeit with a completely different real identity and a completely different motivation.

If "Supergirl" had done this story, it would have hammered the audience over the head with its message about the flaws in the criminal justice system. This episode did a nice job complicating that message, with Luke Fox feeling a great deal of gratitude toward the corrupt assistant DA.

This episode referenced two of Batman's most famous villains, the Joker and Penguin. Interesting, the little bits of backstory we get for both of them align with the Tim Burton movies: The Arrowverse Earth-1 Joker's real identity was apparently Jack Napier, while both the Burton Oswald Cobblepot and the "Gotham" Oswald Cobblepot ran for mayor of Gotham.

Alice is really starting to feel the pull of her real family, the more she comes into contact with them. I find that interesting, that the real battle is within her.

4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, this was a better, more entertaining episode overall. I keep teetering on the cusp of staying with the series or leaving it, but this episode pushed me back on board for another couple of weeks at least.

5. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    1960's Batman did the same, also..

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

ponset likes this.
  7. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott
  8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The show opted to go with the version of the character that's existed since 1981 rather than the version of the character that's existed since 2011. Sometimes I think people go out of their way to find things to be offended about.

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

This was a pretty pivotal episode, killing off one series regular and changing the dynamics among the remaining series regulars for the foreseeable future.

While Kate and Jacob say they're done with Alice after what she did to Catherine, I highly doubt that's really the case. It's not just that she's Beth, it's all of the guilt they feel for not saving her as a child. No matter how awful Alice is, I don't believe they're ever going to be able to forgive her.

On the other hand, it does draw a pretty stark line between Kate and Mary. Mary is never going to be able to forgive the woman who murdered her mother. Intellectually, she knows the role her mother played in turning Beth into Alice. But she doesn't have any of the emotional attachment than Kate and Jacob do to Beth, and the circumstances of Catherine's death were incredibly traumatic.

I know Matt can't stand Alice, but I think Rachel Skarsten has been phenomenal in the role, especially the moments where Beth the wounded child rises to the surface. When Jacob confessed his remorse for not checking the DNA of the bone fragments himself, and explained why he didn't, I think Alice's "Thank you" was genuine. As much as she says she wants to punish Kate and Jacob, I think she's actually far more desperate to be back in their lives. Especially because they're not playing the roles of the selfish, horrible people she built them up to be in her head. Alice is the victim of nearly two decades of Stockholm Syndrome, and now as her plan unfolds reality is starting to do some deprogramming.

It's also interesting that "Crisis on Infinite Earths" arrives right as Batwoman's family situation has been completely shattered. Other than the stinger at the end (which is apparently being used at the end of all five shows), "Batwoman" has done no preparation for "Crisis". I don't even think any of the characters on the series are aware that a crisis is coming.

10. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I know Matt can't stand Alice, but I think Rachel Skarsten has been phenomenal in the role, especially the moments where Beth the wounded child rises to the surface. When Jacob confessed his remorse for not checking the DNA of the bone fragments himself, and explained why he didn't, I think Alice's "Thank you" was genuine.

Besides the fact that I'm just tired of seeing her every week as the central villain, the very thing you're admiring her for, Adam, I don't like: her genuine emotional response to being abandoned plays very erratically when she goes back to her sing-song, crazy-eyed Alice shtick. It all seems very "actory" and irritating to me.

But, I can also see the depths of drama that this murder establishes now among the various family members. Unquestionably it has given quite a bit of gravitas to an already serious show. But therein lies another problem for me: that sense of gloom and doom that drove me away from Gotham and Arrow in that there were never any real victories for the heroes; they were always playing catch-up to the villains and generally treading water or drowning in sorrow rather than having something to actually celebrate. The tone just becomes too oppressive to deal with week-by-week after awhile.