1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Batwoman - season 1 (The CW)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, May 17, 2019.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Batwoman_S01_001.
    The sixth DC superhero show from Greg Berlanti premieres on The CW this fall. With "Arrow" ending after a ten-episode fall run, The CW is seeking to fill that grittier, more grounded slot in the Arrowverse with a concept that leans more heavily into the network's progressive, female-centric branding.

The character was introduced in last December's crossover event. The pilot will jump back in time to tell her origin story, and the first several episodes will feature time jumps to catch the show up to the other Arrowverse series in time for "Crisis on Infinite Earths".

First Look Trailer:

Kate Kane never planned to be Gotham’s new vigilante. Three years after Batman mysteriously disappeared, Gotham is a city in despair. Without the Caped Crusader, the Gotham City Police Department was overrun and outgunned by criminal gangs. Enter Jacob Kane and his military-grade Crows Private Security, which now protects the city with omnipresent firepower and militia. Years before, Jacob’s first wife and daughter were killed in the crossfire of Gotham crime. He sent his only surviving daughter, Kate Kane, away from Gotham for her safety.

After a dishonorable discharge from military school and years of brutal survival training, Kate returns home when the Alice in Wonderland gang targets her father and his security firm, by kidnapping his best Crow officer Sophie Moore. Although remarried to wealthy socialite Catherine Hamilton-Kane, who bankrolls the Crows, Jacob is still struggling with the family he lost, while keeping Kate –– the daughter he still has –– at a distance.

But Kate is a woman who’s done asking for permission. In order to help her family and her city, she’ll have to become the one thing her father loathes –– a dark knight vigilante. With the help of her compassionate stepsister, Mary, and the crafty Luke Fox, the son of Wayne Enterprises’ tech guru Lucius Fox, Kate Kane continues the legacy of her missing cousin, Bruce Wayne, as Batwoman. Still holding a flame for her ex-girlfriend, Sophie, Kate uses everything in her power to combat the dark machinations of the psychotic Alice, who’s always somewhere slipping between sane and insane. Armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, Kate soars through the shadowed streets of Gotham as Batwoman. But don’t call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, she must first overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham’s symbol of hope.

Based on the characters from DC, BATWOMAN is from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television with executive producers Greg Berlanti (“Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Supergirl”), Caroline Dries (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Smallville”), Geoff Johns (“Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Titans”) and Sarah Schechter (“Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Supergirl”). David Nutter (“Game of Thrones,” “The Flash,” “Arrow”) and Marcos Siega (“The Vampire Diaries,” “You”) executive produced the pilot.

Casting:
    • Ruby Rose as Kate Kane, the title character. Rose previously recurred during the third season of "Orange is the New Black". Her film credits include Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, XXX: Return of Xander Cage, John Wick: Chapter 2, Pitch Perfect 3, and The Meg.
    • Dougray Scott as Jacob Kane, a former military colonel with a chip on his shoulder for Batman, Jacob Kane now commands Gotham’s private security firm The Crows, and has made it his mission to protect his city better than the Dark Knight ever could. But it’s only a matter of time before his unwavering disdain for vigilantes puts him at odds with Gotham’s new caped crusader…who also happens to be his own daughter. Scott previously starred in the first two seasons of "Hemlock Grove". His film credits include Ever After, Deep Impact, Mission: Impossible 2, Hitman, and My Week with Marilyn.
    • Rachel Skarsten as Alice, "the leader of the Lewis Carroll–inspired Wonderland Gang. Swinging unpredictably between maniacal and charming, Alice has made it her mission to undermine Gotham’s sense of security." This show marks a return to the world of Batman; she previously starred as Dinah Lance on The WB's short-lived "Birds of Prey".
    • Meagan Tandy as Sophie Moore, Kate's ex-girlfriend who begins the series as "a high-level private security agent and one of Gotham’s staunchest protectors". Tandy previously starred in "Jane by Design" and "UnREAL". She also recurred on "Teen Wolf". Her film credits include Unstoppable and Piranha 3DD.
    • Camrus Johnson as Luke Fox, "son of Wayne’s R&D director Lucius Fox". He previously recurred on "There's... Johnny!" and "Luke Cage".
    • Nicole Kang as Mary Hamilton. "Kate Kane’s step-sister and polar opposite. But what Mary lacks in a filter, she makes up for with her compassion for Gotham’s underserved communities, proving she has more in common with Kate than she thinks." Yang previously recurred on the first season of "You".
    • Elizabeth Anweis as Catherine Hamilton-Kane, who "made her fortune as a savvy, bullheaded defense contractor, and all those billions position Catherine as one of Gotham’s most powerful residents. For Catherine, it’s a matter of the bottom line: Batwoman is bad for business." Anweis’ TV credits include appearances on “9-1-1,” “Twin Peaks: The Return,” “The Affair,” “Southland,” and “NCIS: Los Angeles.”

Marcos Siega directed the pilot, which was shot in Vancouver and Chicago.

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I will definitely give the show two or three episodes to lure me in. And its timeslot is a big plus in its favor since I won't be watching anything else to compete with it.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

My initial thoughts:
    • The production values seem like a step up from the other Arrowverse shows. Not at the caliber of "Gotham" (which, despite its many faults, was beautiful to look at), but definitely a step up from "Arrow" or "The Flash" or "Supergirl". My concern is that they shot the Gotham City exteriors for both the "Elseworlds" crossover and the pilot in Chicago. That gives Gotham a scale that Star City and Central City, which are just different parts of Vancouver, don't have. If the show moves to Vancouver full time from the second episode on, with just establishing shots of Chicago filling in for Gotham, it will lose a lot of that scale. The same thing happened to "Supergirl" when it moved from Los Angeles to Vancouver starting with Season 2.
    • I liked the all-black prototype of the Batwoman suit in that trailer better than the final version. The red bat logo on the chest is fine -- reminds me of "Batman Beyond" -- but the red wig looks ridiculous and would seem to be a hazard in the field.
    • Ruby Rose has a limited acting range, but she oozes charisma. Hopefully she'll grow as a performer the way Stephen Amell has over the course of "Arrow".
    • Caroline Dries will be serving as the showrunner for this. On one hand, I'm glad they're bringing in fresh blood since the existing pool of Arrowverse writers has output that's feeling stale. She has experience in this arena, having written a dozen episodes of "Smallville" back in the day. "The Vampire Diaries" was always more comfortable with sadistic villains than the Arrowverse has been. On the other hand, she was the showrunner for a couple of the most disappointing seasons on "The Vampire Diaries". Not sure if that's her fault, or just a case of the show having run out of steam by the time she got the job.
    • Dougray Scott is a nice counterbalance to all of the rah-rah feminism. The first season of "Supergirl" really benefited from having Calista Flockhart's Cat Grant providing a biting, cynical pragmatism as a contrast to Kara's sunny, naive optimism.
    • I hope Batwoman stays a solo hero. The other Arrowverse shows have suffered from team bloat over the years, which has taken focus off the central hero.
    • Luke Fox feels a lot like Curtis Holt in that trailer, my least favorite "Arrow" character. Hopefully I'm reading that wrong.
    • Rachel Skarsten brings a fun, unpredictable energy as the Joker-esque Alice. I wonder if this show has access to Batman's rogues gallery now that "Gotham" has ended.

4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I just hope this show can avoid two big pitfalls: 1) all the relationship nonsense that bogs down the other CW shows (Berlanti’s shows on the DC service do a nice job of avoiding this) and 2) the grotesque imagery of the recently finished Gotham. That show just got too absurd in its twists and turns.

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I’ll watch it and probably like it.

I know I would really like a real Superman and a real Batman tv show though.