What's new

Batwoman - season 1 (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ruby Rose has quit the show! Batwoman will be recast!

That's crazy! I hope they have a new character take up the mantle rather than have a new actress play Kate Kane. It just pulls me out of the story too much when such a major character is recast.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The Deadline article says
Warner Bros. Television, The CW and Berlanti Productions thank Ruby for her contributions to the success of our first season and wish her all the best,” the two companies said. “The studio and network are firmly committed to Batwoman’s second season and long-term future, and we — along with the show’s talented creative team — look forward to sharing its new direction, including the casting of a new lead actress and member of the LGBTQ community, in the coming months.”

So, we don't know yet just whether it is Katy Kane or Batwoman changing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't watch this show, but even so I was sad to hear this news. It's Ruby Rose's decision to make, and no one should make her do something she doesn't want to do. However, I remember some internet trolls bashing her rather loudly when she was originally announced for the role last year. Her departure will probably have the unfortunate side effect of convincing those people that they "won," which is a bad thing for internet culture in general.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I didn’t like the show.
Watched up until Crisis and continued to record.
Deleted everything off the dvr last week.

Don’t care for her as Ana actress and she was especially stiff on this show.

The Alice stuff was beat to death and apparently still is a main plot point on the show.

It’s a shame they can’t do a Batman show. That’s what everyone really wants.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Also...this clue from today's episode of Jeopardy! has just been floating around Twitter. Obviously, the episode was taped several weeks ago prior to the pandemic, but the timing now becomes a little awkward/ironic:

Batwoman.png

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Alice stuff was beat to death

Couldn't agree more, Good Lord, doesn't Batwoman have ANY other foes? I'd like to see them do something with Hush, retire Alice already!

As far as recasting Batwoman, why doesn't Julia Pennyworth assume the identity?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wow, that’s big, isn’t it? Hasn’t Katy Kane been around since the ‘50s?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A new character will play Batwoman per this Hollywood Reporter article.
One one hand, that was what I had advocated for, since I hate recasting. On the other hand, replacing the central character is even trickier on this show than most, because with the exception of Luke Fox, every character is tied personally to Kate Kane -- including the Big Bad for the first season.

Should be interesting.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Wow, that’s big, isn’t it? Hasn’t Katy Kane been around since the ‘50s?

Batwoman was originally created in the 50s but was phased out in the 60s. She made a few appearances here and there, but was largely a footnote in the history of Batman for decades.

The version of Batwoman that the show is heavily based on was introduced in 2006.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I think this is the wrong call. They should recast. Too much of the fabric of this show is strongly woven into Kate’s character. The idea of someone else just stepping in and forcing new relevance around her while just dropping all the other stuff tied to Kate is far more off putting than a recast. These are actors playing make believe. People can handle a recast.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
One one hand, that was what I had advocated for, since I hate recasting. On the other hand, replacing the central character is even trickier on this show than most, because with the exception of Luke Fox, every character is tied personally to Kate Kane -- including the Big Bad for the first season.

Should be interesting.

And it's good11

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
New interesting interview on this.
Just because Batwoman plans on introducing a brand new character to pick up the titular hero's mantle in the wake of Ruby Rose's exit doesn't mean the CW superhero drama will forget about Kate Kane. In fact, Kate's absence will baked into the show's second season in the same way that Bruce Wayne's was in the first season. .... Like you, I love Kate Kane – she’s the reason I wanted to do the show. We’ll never erase her. In fact, her disappearance will be one of the mysteries of season two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks