X-Files 1/13/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

A showcase episode for Doggett has is suffering from amnesia in Mexico. I wonder if Steven Soderbergh is getting royalties from all that washed out footage of Mexico ("Traffic") used in tonight's episode of the X-Files.

The main thrust of the episode is to remind Doggett why he's got to embrace the X-Files as his mission in life, all due to the murder of his son, and how that led him to becoming a FBI agent, and meeting Reyes on his son's case.

Overall, an okay episode, nothing too sparkling to comment about other than the paragraph above.

2. Phil O

Phil O Agent

The old dude with the wacky eyes....where can I get eyes which light up like that [​IMG] ?
    It was an okay episode....one not worth watching twice.

3. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

I enjoyed it more than I have the last few. It was interesting. I hope they are starting to get better now.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

"Attention! Attention! This week's thread in which the same few people get to tell us all -- one more time -- why they hate The X-Files and why the show should be shut down, put out of its misery, have the plug pulled, etc. etc., has now been opened."

On a more serious note, did anyone else catch Kersh's reference to the new demands of national security placed on the FBI? It was part of his reason for limiting the investigation into Doggett's disappearance. Obviously this show was shot fairly recently.

M.

5. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

I don't know Michael. I wouldn't say it was just a 'few people'. It seems that there are more and more of us each week.

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

It was an acceptable episode, but not enough to hook me back into the show. I have really lost interest, which is such a shame. Count me in with the people who are now indifferent to the X-Files.

7. Brett Jason

Brett Jason Stunt Coordinator

I'll keep watching, but tonight's was fair at best. Random notes: Looked like they were going for a Memento homage for awhile, but that didn't really pan out.... Reyes' Spanish accent had all the authenticity of someone who took a semester abroad in Madrid.... So was the fact that Doggett held on to the memory of his son the reason why his memory came back?...Next week's skinned people episode looks kind of creepy.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think they were trying to say that some events make you who you are today, and no matter how much someone tried to "erase" your mind, the pain caused by certain events will ingrain themselves into your brain, that as long as you are functioning normally (though with a case of amnesia), those memories will always be with you, and that they are part of you no matter what. Pain reminds us that we are alive.

9. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

I kept waiting for Benicio del Torres to show up. Where was he?

One thing that I'm sure would bring the ratings up, and since it's Fox, they might do it:

Scully...

Reyes...

in the shower!

TOGETHER!!!

That would beat the hell out of Dennis Franz' ass!

10. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

LOL Stacy

Sure be an interesting story line.

11. Chuck Parker

Chuck Parker Agent

Count me in as one of the few who's still enjoying this show, even after all these years. Robert Patrick is doing some real quality work with the Doggett character, and I have a feeling Annabeth Gish would rise to the occasion if the writers actually gave Reyes something interesting to do (the parallel universe ep a few weeks back was a good start). The last few episodes have been much more interesting visually than in years past, even if they took their cues from other sources.

In any case, I enjoyed last night's installment quite a bit. A good "anthology" style story that really let Robert Patrick shine, added, at least a little bit, to our knowledge of Doggett's life before the X-Files. I'm hoping we get to learn more about the circumstances surrounding his son's kidnapping and murder, and how the event shaped his life since; why he left the NYPD for the FBI, where that attractive blond wife of his ended up, and what Reyes' connection to everything is. I think the writers have an even more potent "life defining event" with Doggett than they did with Mulder to wring some good stories out of.

And yes, the skinned alive(?) ep coming up next looks good and creepy!

-chuck

12. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I like the emphasis on characters lately. This is something that should have been done last season though, but better late than never.

I agree that it's time to fully disclose what happened to Doggett's son. 'Little Green Men', the second season opener, showed us the night Samantha was abducted, why not a similar epsisode for Doggett?

13. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

I thought I had seen all of the episodes this year, but Chuck mentioned one about a parallel universe. I don't remember that one. Can somebody fill me in?

I enjoyed last night's episode well enough, but fess up -- when Doggett was chasing the guy that stole his shoe, didn't you want to see him put on that blank expression, pump his arms up and down, and go into full-on T-1000 mode! I sure did!

14. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

Mike St.Louis-

I'm baaaaack! So, did you watch the last one, and if so, what did you think? Not the strongest episode in the world, but I thought it wasn't bad. Nice to see Robert Patrick/Dogget get a chance to work into the character a bit.

So, anyway, I'm interested to hear what you have to say, if you watched it.

15. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

16. Mike St.Louis

Hi Chauncey,

Nope. Turned off the TV just as it was starting.

17. David Egan

David Egan Stunt Coordinator

John Doe was a fine episode that concentrated on the real strenth of this show, the characterization. It was as well written and directed as almost anything from the early years. I suspect that many people who have given up on the show have done so because it isn't as hip, not because it isn't as good.

18. Mike St.Louis

19. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

Mike-

Well, bummer. Although when I first asked, of course, I hadn't realized you'd been off the X-Files bandwagon for so long. I had just assumed it was after last season or something. To be honest, since reading your last response to me in the previous thread, I'm not all that surprised you didn't tune in.

I'm sorry that it's come to that point for you. It's always a bit of a drag when a show with characters you've come to care about loses it for you. For me, there are a lot of positives about the show, however, though I do admit that the show is different than it was. Change can be a good thing, though, so I'm hoping that all will come out clean in the end.

Still, each to their own. So do you have your favorite seasons on DVD yet, or have you washed your hands of the whole affair?

20. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Not a bad episode. I kept thinking throughout the whole thing, "why is this an X-Files episode though?" It didn't make any sense, it was just a regular disappearance type thing. nothing paranormal... until the mystery of the "lost memory" is found out.

If this had a been a season 2, 3, or 4 episode, it would rank in the bottom 50%. However, as a recent episode, it ranks in the top 75%... it was intriguing enough to keep me interested.