What's new

Windows 10 News and User discussion (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I agree with John. Uninstall the crapware called "Tech Utilities" (most of those are geared to scare you into paying for a "solution" that either you don't truly need or that won't fix your issue). Then do a system restore, using the most recent one before you started having your graphics issue.

If you do have to resort to a full system recovery be sure to back up all your data first! Doing a system restore (using a prior restore point) shouldn't require that but it's always prudent to have one just in case.

Removing the graphics card from devices like you did is OK. It reinstalls automatically when you restart the system.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I agree with John. Uninstall the crapware called "Tech Utilities" (most of those are geared to scare you into paying for a "solution" that either you don't truly need or that won't fix your issue). Then do a system restore, using the most recent one before you started having your graphics issue.

If you do have to resort to a full system recovery be sure to back up all your data first! Doing a system restore (using a prior restore point) shouldn't require that but it's always prudent to have one just in case.

Removing the graphics card from devices like you did is OK. It reinstalls automatically when you restart the system.
I'm currently attempting a System Restore, but three days ago was unfortunately as far back as my restore options went, so I suspect that more drastic measures will likely be needed. I'm not relishing the prospect of losing a ton of apps, especially as the wife's PC is also currently unavailable. When it rains, it pours seems to be a truism, in this case! Oy vey!

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In one last bid to avoid having to take out all of my apps in going the Recovery route, I uninstalled the last successful Windows 10 update, in the hopes that will fix whatever caused the error in the Cumulative Update. (P.S. It didn't work!)

Whatever happens, I'm thinking that I'll hold off on Recovery at least until we find out the status of the wife's PC, as the idea of both of our PCs potentially being down at the same time is very unappealing! :blink:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

I uninstalled the useless crapware, which I only downloaded on the off off chance it would do the job without having to register and buy, which I never do!

Unfortunately, the one system restore point available only went back 3 days. As uninstalling/reinstalling the previous successful Windows 10 Update didn't fix the issue, it appears that I'm stuck with having to lose all of my apps in a Recovery Repair scenario. This is very bad timing, as I need to be able to use my PC for stuff related to our moving later this year. Between that and issues with the wife's PC, it's really sucking big time, at the moment! :(

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
For reference, that sfc command didn't need to be run in safe-mode--right-click on command prompt, run as administrator gets you to the elevated prompt.

The windows update troubleshooter can be found in Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot
Then you can download the update you're having issues with here if it still won't install normally: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4093112

If you're still having video issues, never use drivers supplied through windows updates, always get them directly from the appropriate vendor--HP/Dell/Lenovo/etc for 1st-party or motherboard manufacturer for "white box" on-board (Intel) video; Nvidia or AMD for discreet/add-on graphics.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
FWIW, there is an option to reinstall Windows on top of the current install without it removing your data. You still have to reinstall apps but the personal files/data is, supposedly, safe. I've never done one of those as it's just as easy, and IMHO, a better option to back up your stuff and do a full, clean, reinstall. If the vendor put a recovery partition on the drive it should be even easier as you should have the necessary drivers, etc. on that drive or already in the restore image.

Have you looked on the vendor's web site for a updated video driver? While I don't think that's your full issue it shouldn't hurt to install one if available.

RE: "Tech tool applications."

Most of those things are useless. They "clean" your system by compacting the registry (rarely needed or useful), attempting to remove unneeded registry entries (rarely a problem), remove "temporary" files (lots of things can do this for free - even Windows), remove "tracking" stuff - primarily cookies (your browser and other, better, tools), remove PUPs (possibly unwanted program - usually spyware and/or browser add-ons that truly do nothing but slow you down while purporting to "help" with a specialized search toolbar, etc.), and maybe look at the state of your drivers. Many of those will flag your drivers being out of date if they're "too old" even though there may not be an update available.

If you truly want to run something along those lines I recommend:

Malwarebytes (https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/) - get the "free" version, make sure to uncheck any possible additions they may offer (the last time I installed this one they didn't have any). Don't bother "registering" or giving email, etc. Just install, scan your system, let it remove anything it finds, disable the auto-starting portion, and use it again in a couple of months. You don't need, nor truly want, the "Premium" features. It'll install with them enabled for a 14 day trial. That can be disabled with a few menu changes if desired (I don't remember if you can decline it during the installation).

Superantispyware (http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE). Like Malwarebytes, you don't need the "benefits" of the paid version. Install, decline any additions if they are there, scan your system, let it remove anything it finds. It'll want to auto start which should be disabled. Like Malwarebytes, it'll nag you a bit when the "trial" period expires but only when it's run. Run it every couple of months.

Both of these update from within themselves. It's been a while since I've installed and run them so I don't know if the updates will come in when the app is started or if they have to be manually started when run.

The "dead easy" way to get both, and update them, is to get a Ninite install with those options (https://ninite.com/). It's a free utility/tool that gets applications for you, installs them, and provides a centralized console from which to keep them updated. You simple check the apps you want on their page, click the "Get your Ninite" button and get a custom downloader/updater for your system. Run it to install and run it again anytime you want to check for updates. If there are any, it'll download and install them for you. It also automatically says "no" to any add-on installs that may come with any of the supported applications.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For reference, that sfc command didn't need to be run in safe-mode--right-click on command prompt, run as administrator gets you to the elevated prompt.

The windows update troubleshooter can be found in Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot
Then you can download the update you're having issues with here if it still won't install normally: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4093112

If you're still having video issues, never use drivers supplied through windows updates, always get them directly from the appropriate vendor--HP/Dell/Lenovo/etc for 1st-party or motherboard manufacturer for "white box" on-board (Intel) video; Nvidia or AMD for discreet/add-on graphics.
Hi Chris!

Thanks for the tip regarding the right clicking on command prompt! I'll try and remember this for future reference.

I actually already tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter last night. It unfortunately failed to fix one of the three Windows Update related issues, which proved to be the crucial Windows Update Database, which is apparently now corrupt. I even did a Control Panel based cleanup of the Windows Updates, using Disc Cleanup, at my wife's suggestion. This didn't work either.

You'd think that in 2018, proper disc driver match ups would be far simpler than it is. I'm currently downloading the cumulative update via the helpful link that you provided. Thank you very much for that!

EDIT: Sadly, this attempt also failed! :(:
Windows 10 Update Alternate Attempt, Via microsoft.com - April 19, 2018.png

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
https://pureinfotech.com/reset-windows-update-windows-10-fix-downloads-installs/

reboot in safe-mode and do steps 1-4 of the section using the command prompt
Well, right from the get go, this ain't going according to Hoyle!

Instead of the service is stopping/has stopped successfully, this is what I got:
IMAG1054.jpg

My next question is should I do what it says and see where it leads, or give up the ghost, and reinstall Windows 10?

Clear as mud, is where I'm at, presently!

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
This is me trying to do 6 support tasks at once...

skip directly to the deleting things. I forgot those services don't start in safe mode.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This is me trying to do 6 support tasks at once...

skip directly to the deleting things. I forgot those services don't start in safe mode.

Thanks Chris. Unfortunately, besides the multiple process "cannot access the file" bugaboo, the qmgr*.dat couldn't be found either!:
IMAG1055.jpg

Thank you very much for your kind help, but it's appearing more and more likely that I may ultimately be stuck with the Windows 10 reinstall option, although I hope that I am wrong regarding this!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Tony - The date of your latest restore point is irrelevant unless you've been having this issue before that date. Restore points are automatically created by Windows when major changes are made to your system. Whatever prompted this issue would probably be classified as a "major change." In other words [and maybe I missed this in earlier posts] when did this issue begin? Was it before or after the date of your latest restore point? If it was later, then a restore [which is non-destructive but a backup is always a good idea] may resolve it.

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
The "in use" error means at least one service may have started.
Run through all the steps 1-4; missing or non-existent files/folders means move on to the next step.

If you have an 8gb usb drive, here's a link to the media creation tool to do an in-place "upgrade": https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Just be sure to select the option to keep all your apps/files...

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony - The date of your latest restore point is irrelevant unless you've been having this issue before that date. Restore points are automatically created by Windows when major changes are made to your system. Whatever prompted this issue would probably be classified as a "major change." In other words [and maybe I missed this in earlier posts] when did this issue begin? Was it before or after the date of your latest restore point? If it was later, then a restore [which is non-destructive but a backup is always a good idea] may resolve it.
Unfortunately, the problem began before the date of my earliest restore point.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The "in use" error means at least one service may have started.
Run through all the steps 1-4; missing or non-existent files/folders means move on to the next step.

If you have an 8gb usb drive, here's a link to the media creation tool to do an in-place "upgrade": https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Just be sure to select the option to keep all your apps/files...
It took a few hours, but this method did the trick! Thank you very much for your help! :) :
Windows 10 Update  - Your Device Is Up To Date - April 19, 2018.png

Oddly enough, the next to last previously successfully installed Windows 10 Update, which was among the 3 post re-installation Updates, "disappeared" during my latest Windows 10 Update installation process, and isn't in my Update history. I wonder whether its previous presence caused some sort of conflict with the latest Cumulative update? Hmmmm!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Great news and just in time for the weekend!!!
We also just found out that the wife's computer has been fixed and she'll be getting it back shortly. There were a ton of errors on her Windows. Just have to reinstall her browsers. She's sticking with Windows 8.1 for the time being, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks