1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10 News and User discussion

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sam Posten, Sep 30, 2014.

1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    ^As odd as it might sound, a firmware update could correct your issue.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl2270dw_all&os=10013&dlid=dlf004715_000&flang=8&type3=375

That's a pretty old printer so you may already have the latest firmware. Here's how to check the current firmware version to determine if you need it:
    1. Make sure that the front cover is closed and the power cord is plugged in.
    2. Turn on the printer and wait until the printer is in the ready state.
    3. Press Go three times within 2 seconds.
      The firmware version is at the top of the printed page.
    FWIW - Sleep and Deep Sleep are different. Sleep mode pretty much shuts down the fans, turns off the fuser, etc. but the printer is "ready" to run requiring only a short warm up. Deep sleep puts the printer into a very low power state to further conserve energy. If it receives a "wake" command, either wired or wireless, it's supposed to come to life and, if a page is sent, warm up and print.

I don't know that the 2270 has a true "Deep Sleep" mode. I'd try the firmware route if the issue returns or becomes annoying.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Thanks for the suggestion, but updating the firmware was one of the first things I did in my troubleshooting process. Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue. I appreciate you taking the time to research this, though. That was a very nice thing to do. :thumbsup:

BTW, the Kingston USB 3.0 multi media card reader I own was also acting flaky on the new Windows 10 PC, and a firmware update did fix that issue. So, the moral of the story is -- always check for firmware and driver updates.

BobO'Link likes this.