What's new

Windows 10 News and User discussion (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^As odd as it might sound, a firmware update could correct your issue.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/down...os=10013&dlid=dlf004715_000&flang=8&type3=375

That's a pretty old printer so you may already have the latest firmware. Here's how to check the current firmware version to determine if you need it:
  1. Make sure that the front cover is closed and the power cord is plugged in.
  2. Turn on the printer and wait until the printer is in the ready state.
  3. Press Go three times within 2 seconds.
    The firmware version is at the top of the printed page.
FWIW - Sleep and Deep Sleep are different. Sleep mode pretty much shuts down the fans, turns off the fuser, etc. but the printer is "ready" to run requiring only a short warm up. Deep sleep puts the printer into a very low power state to further conserve energy. If it receives a "wake" command, either wired or wireless, it's supposed to come to life and, if a page is sent, warm up and print.

I don't know that the 2270 has a true "Deep Sleep" mode. I'd try the firmware route if the issue returns or becomes annoying.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
^As odd as it might sound, a firmware update could correct your issue.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/down...os=10013&dlid=dlf004715_000&flang=8&type3=375

That's a pretty old printer so you may already have the latest firmware. Here's how to check the current firmware version to determine if you need it:
  1. Make sure that the front cover is closed and the power cord is plugged in.
  2. Turn on the printer and wait until the printer is in the ready state.
  3. Press Go three times within 2 seconds.
    The firmware version is at the top of the printed page.
FWIW - Sleep and Deep Sleep are different. Sleep mode pretty much shuts down the fans, turns off the fuser, etc. but the printer is "ready" to run requiring only a short warm up. Deep sleep puts the printer into a very low power state to further conserve energy. If it receives a "wake" command, either wired or wireless, it's supposed to come to life and, if a page is sent, warm up and print.

I don't know that the 2270 has a true "Deep Sleep" mode. I'd try the firmware route if the issue returns or becomes annoying.

Thanks for the suggestion, but updating the firmware was one of the first things I did in my troubleshooting process. Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue. I appreciate you taking the time to research this, though. That was a very nice thing to do. :thumbsup:

BTW, the Kingston USB 3.0 multi media card reader I own was also acting flaky on the new Windows 10 PC, and a firmware update did fix that issue. So, the moral of the story is -- always check for firmware and driver updates.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A little off topic, but for those who use the free version of Malwarebytes might want to know the following:
- If you're getting the upgrade nag screen, DON'T upgrade unless you want to lose the free version for good! All that uninstalling/re-installing will do is bring back the 14 day trial version. I bloody HATE Malwarebytes for pulling this crap! It's not so much them wanting users to pay for their service, but the sneaky way that they, and other companies are increasingly resorting to such dirty (In my opinion!) tactics in making the free version no longer available! Just give it to us straight, FFS! :angry:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've just noticed that whenever I try to reduce a windows box by clicking on the middle square, it does reduce, but blinks and flickers like crazy. I tried to get around this by selecting the windows side by side option, but that didn't work.

Any thoughts?

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The following may or may not be related to my above post:

Under my Windows Update status, it's noted that "Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later." Below this is "Error code: (0X80073712)" followed by the Retry button, which I've pushed twice, but it keeps coming up error.

Has anyone else experienced this with the latest Windows 10 updates?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've just noticed that whenever I try to reduce a windows box by clicking on the middle square, it does reduce, but blinks and flickers like crazy. I tried to get around this by selecting the windows side by side option, but that didn't work.

Any thoughts?

Could be a graphics driver problem. Did it start after a Windows update?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yesterday's patch Tuesday update KB4093112 loaded fine on my desktop but got hung up on my laptop. It took awhile for a second-try to load and install correctly.
The problem with my update is it doesn't seem to load at all. At one point, it would reach a certain percentage before posting a failure message, but now there's two updates that seem to get stuck on the "Awaiting install" and "Initializing" statuses.

Here's my Windows 10 Update screen below:

Windows 10 Update Failure - April 11, 2018.png

Meanwhile, the blinking Windows screen problem continues. I really could use some workable solutions, at this point! :unsure:

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Open an elevated command prompt and run the command: sfc /scannow

Worst-case, if you have good backups and aren't averse to reloading everything, there's always the built-in Win10 reset...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Tony, your issue sound like it could be a graphics driver update that's failed or not working properly. Here's how to check if an update has been installed and how to roll it back if an older driver is available.

Click "Start"
Scroll down to "Windows Administrative Tools"
Select "Computer Management"
When that opens, select "Device Manager" in the left-hand panel (It's under "System Tools" which you may need to expand first)
In the right-hand panel double click "Display adapters"
Your display adapter should be listed (and the only thing there unless you have two graphics cards installed - usually the onboard and an add-in card in those cases). Select it (or the proper one if you have dual cards), right click, then select "Properties" from the menu.
Click on the "Driver" tab and look at the "Driver date" in the top informational panel. If it's newer than 3 or so weeks or dates to around when your issue started you may want to try to roll it back. To do this simply select the "Roll Back Driver" option (middle item). If that's greyed out it means there's no available driver to roll back to and that the one installed is likely the one that shipped with the system.

Baring that, check the manufacturer's web site for a true updated graphics driver and install it if one's available.

If it's a failed system update causing the issue, Chris's suggestion is a viable one (run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Open an elevated command prompt and run the command: sfc /scannow

Worst-case, if you have good backups and aren't averse to reloading everything, there's always the built-in Win10 reset...
Do I need to do this in safe mode? I ask because I ended up getting the "You must be an administrator running a console session to use the sfc utility." message in order to use the elevated command prompt screen.

I did first attempt Howie's suggestion, which unfortunately didn't resolve the issue.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Do I need to do this in safe mode? I ask because I ended up getting the "You must be an administrator running a console session to use the sfc utility." message in order to use the elevated command prompt screen.

I did first attempt Howie's suggestion, which unfortunately didn't resolve the issue.

I'm presently doing the sfc/scannow in safe mode. It is currently at 35% complete verification.

What should I be looking for in this scan? I honestly have no clue.

For the record, the most recent driver update was 9.22.17; not even close to the 3 week timeline, and the Roll Back Driver button was greyed out.

Thank you very much, Chris and Howie for your help!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm presently doing the sfc/scannow in safe mode. It is currently at 35% complete verification.

What should I be looking for in this scan? I honestly have no clue.

For the record, the most recent driver update was 9.22.17; not even close to the 3 week timeline, and the Roll Back Driver button was greyed out.

Thank you very much, Chris and Howie for your help!

OK, below is the end result of my system scan:
IMAG1053.jpg

OK, no integrity violations found!

Now, what? I'm at a loss regarding how and where to proceed next!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tony:

I'm no expert (like the other fellas) but if I was having that problem, I'd uninstall the video card driver and re-install and see if that cleared things up.

Good luck!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony:

I'm no expert (like the other fellas) but if I was having that problem, I'd uninstall the video card driver and re-install and see if that cleared things up.

Good luck!
OK, this may be getting a bit painful.

I uninstalled the display driver for the onboard graphics display, which now no longer shows up in my Device Manager!

I'm afraid to turn off, or restart my PC, at this point, as all online instructions seem to go on the assumption that the graphics card actually displays in Device Manager, which mine currently is not!

:unsure:????

EDIT: OK, I was able to restart, and the Graphics Card is displaying. However, my latest attempt to install the latest Windows 10 Update is stuck at 0%, and I'm in the process of installing updated drivers directly onto the graphic card. (Which literally JUST failed!)

Sigh! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The following may or may not be related to my above post:

Under my Windows Update status, it's noted that "Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later." Below this is "Error code: (0X80073712)" followed by the Retry button, which I've pushed twice, but it keeps coming up error.

Has anyone else experienced this with the latest Windows 10 updates?

Tony - Searching on the error code you listed, I found this.

http://www.wiki-errors.com/wiki-errors.php?wiki=0X80073712

Since you're having update issues it does make sense that there may be damage to a system file. I would suggest a full backup [essential] and then falling back to a restore point from before you noticed this issue. Basically, it sounds like Windows needs to be repaired.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Since you're having update issues it does make sense that there may be damage to a system file. I would suggest a full backup [essential] and then falling back to a restore point from before you noticed this issue. Basically, it sounds like Windows needs to be repaired.

I just made one last attempt to perform the latest Windows 10 Update. Failing after the Update reaches 68% seems to be the common scenario, as illustrated in the following two screenshots:
Windows 10 Update Attempt - 68% - April 18, 2018.png

Windows 10 Update Attempt - Error Code 0x80073712 - April 18, 2018.png

I'm currently running the Tech Utilities software that I downloaded, using the link on the Wikipedia page, which I anticipate will most likely end with the usual "In order to complete the removal/final resolving of issues found, pay to register" prompting. Am I the only one who thinks that these software companies should give it to users straight BEFORE going through with the scanning? Yes, by now, it should be obvious to most users that this is pretty much the standard operating procedure by most software utility companies, but still!:
Tech Utilities - April 18, 2018.png

EDIT: Yep. All Too Typical! :rolleyes::
Tech Utilities - April 18, 2018 - Register To Fix Issues.png

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

I just made one last attempt to perform the latest Windows 10 Update. Failing after the Update reaches 68% seems to be the common scenario, as illustrated in the following two screenshots:
View attachment 45627

View attachment 45628

I'm currently running the Tech Utilities software that I downloaded, using the link on the Wikipedia page, which I anticipate will most likely end with the usual "In order to complete the removal/final resolving of issues found, pay to register" prompting. Am I the only one who thinks that these software companies should give it to users straight BEFORE going through with the scanning? Yes, by now, it should be obvious to most users that this is pretty much the standard operating procedure by most software utility companies, but still!:
View attachment 45629

upload_2018-4-18_17-35-22.png

Companies like this are generally ripoff artists capitalizing on the public's inexperience and fear. My advice is to avoid them and go here instead.

upload_2018-4-18_17-45-14.png
As long as you have a solid and reliable backup you should be able to safely use a restore point to put your system in the same condition it was before you began experiencing this issue.

Aside from this option, [depending on the age of your system] there is almost certainly a Recovery Partition. This is usually accessed via BIOS at system boot up by pressing the indicated Function key when prompted. As in the previous scenario, creating a backup of all important data beforehand is essential.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks