1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10 News and User discussion

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sam Posten, Sep 30, 2014.

1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I had the following ready for you in case you needed it... but based on what I've read following my last post yesterday I'd agree with Acer support. It sounds like the HD has failed. BUT I find it odd that you can't get into BIOS or get a repair type boot started with the drive bad. Of course some of those restore files are on the HD so there's that... but you should still be able to get into the BIOS and change the boot order. That you've had to remove peripherals in the past to get the system to boot isn't too encouraging either. That makes me think the MB could have issues - but it could be something simple as the BIOS not liking one or more of the peripherals.

For several years Dell had a BIOS that wouldn't boot properly if a USB printer was attached. Yeah... that took some time to determine and I had a "private" user's computer at my house for "repairs" several times before that was determined to be the cause. It'd work at my house and at her house when I put it back in place. She'd connect the printer after I'd left and it'd run for a few weeks before something would cause/need a reboot and *bam* no POST or startup. I'd pick it up, check it out, etc. and finally had the issue hit us at work and the light went on.

Anyway... here's that post I'd prepared earlier. If you can get the USB to boot you can do a disk check from it and possibly get a repair going - but it does sound like your HD has gone tits up.

If a system restore doesn't fix your issue you may need to do a "startup repair" - here are the steps for that, which includes getting new installation file - a help as you mentioned you don't know where yours is:

You may use Windows 10 installation disc/USB to perform Startup repair by creating a Media Creation Tool.

Use the link below to create the media tool.

Refer: Windows 10 ISO Download

Note: Before performing the Startup repair please go through the above link and follow the steps.

Perform the Startup repair:

1. When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be F12.
    2. The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
    3. Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to CD\DVD ROM.
    4. After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
    5. Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    6. Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
    7. Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click Startup repair.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  2. Message #862 of 935 Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    First Howie, thank you so much for taking the time to help with my problem.

Your mention of the Motherboard possibly being another issue really has me worried, as I had considered inquiring about a used 2.5 inch SATA internal hard drive. However, if my MB is also messed up, the PC might as well go out the window, yeech!

I'm kicking myself because until last summer, we had two spare 2.5 inch internal drives that might have been compatible with my Laptop. However, I now recall having brought them to the local Staples in North Bay for destroying right before our move last August. It could have been a cost free means to determine whether my Acer was reasonably salvageable, but now, having to spend $$ even for a used HD, only to quite possibly find it doesn't solve my problem, oy vey!

As if the above wasn't enough, an associate from the electronic store outlet in North Bay from where we bought our Acer Laptops told me that I could give the disc check diagnostic (That I had abandoned last night after 8 hours!) a full two days, in case the problem on the main hard drive was something like a corrupted file that the disc check might have fixed. Of course now, I can't seem to get that going again to save my life, and yes, I did unplug the Laptop several times, and even disconnected the battery for probably about an hour, or thereabouts, but to no avail this time.

Anyway Howie, thanks again for your much valued input.

CHEERS! :)

3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I checked some drives on Amazon.ca and found one I'd recommend without reservation:

https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Barracuda-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST500LM030/dp/B01M0AAA6X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1546832460&sr=8-5&keywords=2.5%22+hard+drive

It's ~$50 CA - quite reasonable for a 500GB "spinning platter" (i.e. non-SSD) drive. I found several smaller (~120GB) SSD drives in the $30-$40 range but am unfamiliar with the brands and reviews seemed a bit suspect. Without knowing your situation I don't know if that's doable for you. Should that not fix your issue you can purchase an enclosure or USB adapter cable relatively inexpensively that'll turn it into an external drive that will work with any computer having a USB port. At least that way you'd have some form of backup option and not have an expensive paperweight.

If you happen to have another old laptop laying around it's possible to take the drive out of that system to use in the failing one. You don't necessarily need a "large" drive - something in the 120GB+ range will do nicely for Windows 10. I've loaded it onto 60GB drives and had enough space for Open Office and a few other applications. I currently have it running on a 40GB VM on my work laptop (an Apple but I need Windows for network/domain management) and still have room for MS Office and a few other apps I need.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  4. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Thank you very much for your helpful input, Howie! :)

For the moment, I'm planning on making some local inquiries. There's a computer outlet a little over a half mile from our place. I'm hoping that I might be able to bring my Laptop in, either there or some other centre to pre test whatever suitable hard drive (I'm thinking used) on it in order to first see whether it'll fix my problems, as I noticed the hard drive removal is hassle free, with my system. The way I see it, it can't hurt to ask.

I'll keep you posted, whatever happens.

5. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Sounds like a good plan! It's always nice when the HD bay is easily accessible! :)

Tony Bensley likes this.
  6. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    It's a huge plus, to be sure! Acer seems to be pretty good in that aspect. The Mrs previous Acer Laptop had similarly convenient HD accessibility, as I recall. :)

In keeping with the Windows 10 discussion theme, I do have the installation files on a 16 GB USB Drive at the ready for if/when my Acer Laptop is functional again.

7. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Some good news:

I was able to find a very reasonably priced used 60 GB Internal Hard Drive that is physically compatible with my Acer Laptop, which I plan to pick up in the next day or so!

Hopefully, this will fix my problem, at least in the short term. If it does, I may want to spring for a larger hard drive down the road.

DaveF and BobO'Link like this.
  8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    When you get a larger drive, go for an SSD if your budget allows. You'll be amazed at how much extra life such a simple upgrade can give a system.

ManW_TheUncool and Tony Bensley like this.
  9. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Never thought I'd be so happy to see this screen! :)

IMAG0309.

Yep, it was indeed the hard drive!

ManW_TheUncool and BobO'Link like this.
  10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG]

11. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Well, maybe not so fast....
    IMAG0311.
    I seem to have hit a snag. This platform won't allow me to format, either.

12. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I made some changes in the bios settings through UEFI Firmware settings. One key change I made was to Legacy mode.
    IMAG0312.

Unfortunately, instead of fixing my incompatible formatting issue, I'm instead getting this unhelpful screen!
    IMAG0313.
    Pressing the above keys brings up the Acer logo screen, presenting me with F2 and F12 options, neither of which prevents the annoying reappearance of the unfortunate NTLDR is missing screen!

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

How to fix Missing NTLDR...

I'm no expert, Tony. But I hope that's helpful. :thumbsup:

Tony Bensley likes this.
  14. Message #874 of 935 Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    OK, I'm most definitely in another fix! :(

Last night, I contacted Acer's out of warranty support. Apart from asking me if I tried F2 for getting back into my bios, he said I'd have to buy another extended 3 year software warranty for $99 before I could get any further assistance.

After that, I spoke with Dakota from the North Bay "The Source" outlet where we purchased our Acer Laptops 5 1/2 years ago. He said to call Mike the next day, as he's more the tech person. I did so, and he suggested I check the "Google expert." Been there, and done that, Mike.

So, what are my options with a Laptop that's flashing a "NTLDR is missing" message due to changes I made in the BIOS (I'm presuming now it was changing the type from UEFI to Legacy that's the most likely culprit?), in order to make my hard drive compatible with my Laptop, in order to be able to install Windows, that I can now no longer access, and the clean hard drive has no Windows OS?

Does CD/DVD disk or USB boot recovery still work in this type of scenario, or am I stuck with having to bring in my Laptop for servicing to have the BIOS reset? Oy vey!

Any advice regarding this would be most greatly appreciated!

Edit: Thanks for your post above, Mike!

15. Message #875 of 935 Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    If you didn't delete the original partition on the new HD during the install - then go back into the BIOS and switch it back to UEFI mode (disable the "legacy" setting you changed), boot the OS installer, *delete* the existing partition (actually all/any partitions shown unless one has recovery files - but since you have boot media it's not truly necessary to keep those) on the HD, try the install. What that error is telling you is that the current partition is formatted incorrectly for UEFI. So... after deleting the existing partition simply select "next" and Windows should put the proper partition types on the drive for you.

If it was created properly, the USB or CD/DVD boot system/disc should still work without the HD having any OS on it. You may have to set the OS to boot this first *or* press F12 (normally - some BIOS are different) during POST (before the OS would start - essentially this instead of F2 to get into BIOS) to bring up a "one time" boot menu and select your external media from the menu. It'll usually be identified by the device and *not* by what's in the device (that is, a CD/DVD will have the hardware name of the device - usually an abbreviation of the manufacturer and other information about the device).

AND... I just read fully your post. If you press F12 you'll get a prompt for the media to boot - use that USB or DVD you've created and proceed with deleting any existing partition. It's not necessary to go back to UEFI if your BIOS allows and supports "legacy" mode. It's just a different partitioning type for the system and they're not compatible. UEFI is a bit more secure but it's not something you'd ever notice or truly need. UEFI makes it harder for malware to rewrite the boot sector and install boot sector type viruses.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  16. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Pressing F12 hasn't worked, either. :(

I'll have to check my Windows 10 installation files I downloaded from the Microsoft webpage, which I can do on the Mrs Acer Laptop. Shouldn't those be bootable? I ask because it wouldn't boot up after I changed over to Legacy mode from UEFI in the BIOS.

Hope this can be sorted out soon.

17. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
  18. Message #878 of 935 Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I want to change back to UEFI, but how can I do this if I'm unable to get past the "NTLDR is missing" screen?

I'm not near my Laptop at the moment, but I'll try with the Windows 10 installation USB stick, after checking whether it has boot files (If not, I'll go back to the appropriate Microsoft WinfWin 10 page), although it wouldn't boot after I switched to Legacy. I should mention I also tried swapping with my wife's functioning Windows 10 loaded hard drive, to no avail. Still ended up with the NTLDR screen on my identical Acer Laptop. I'm really regretting that switching from UEFI to Legacy move.

Will keep you posted, Bob. Thanks for sticking with me on this.

19. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Try tapping F2 as soon as you turn it on. That should take you into the BIOS. If that doesn't work try the delete key.

20. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Thin laptops are terrible to service, but my "thick" laptop was easy to work on. Bought refurbed, I've changed out the HD, DVD drive, and added memory to it with few issues.