What's new

Windows 10 News and User discussion (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The pitch today was pretty solid. Some notes:

(1) Streaming games and items from the XBOX1 to a PC is a big level of integration, and having PC gamers able to openly play against XBOX gamers for select games will be interesting, a nice way to integrate the XBOX into the home user environment

(2) This is something that I had noticed in beta type worlds.. and appears to be true - there may not be a 'home' 'pro'. After Vista's Home, Home Premium, Pro and Ultimate, Windows 7 kept the same. Windows 8 reduced to Home & Pro. Now, Windows 10 appears to just go to one version. Meanwhile, services will be added on based on need for enterprise connectivity/etc. This is good for desktop level support.

(3) Users of Windows 7, 8 & 8.1 will receive a free upgrade for the lifetime of their device, and users who receive Windows 10 OEM (included with a PC) will have a lifetime of upgrades as new components come online.. in other words, Microsoft is aiming to make Windows a modular based OS, so that components and core elements can be interchanged without wholesale replacement.

(4) Integration of Cortana on the desktop is Solid. Having used both Siri on my Ipad and Cortana on my Windows Phone & XBOX1, I have to tell you, Cortana blows the doors off. It's ability to take proper extended dictation is phenomenally good, and when Siri seems to want to give me simple answers, Cortana can often delve into responses with far more depth - this is my experience comparing my Ipad Air (new one) and my Windows Phone. This isn't a knock on Siri, which is quite good, but it seemingly hasn't improved since I first used it, meanwhile Cortana that I use today seems much smarter than the one I used just 2 months ago, and it's dictation ability continues to improve. Since Apple doesn't offer Siri on the desktop I guess the comparison doesn't matter though.

(5) There are going to be some people who hate this.. but MS is clearly moving to the way of an install is permanently attached to hardware.. this is akin to the Apple method, but will seem unfamiliar for PC users, who like moving installs from hardware to hardware. The benefit of this is it makes it way, way easier to provide hardened security built into the OS. If the OS locks down expected parameters at the beginning - which we got to some with UEFI - and you can extend that, then security becomes much better off the bat; dedicated encryption routines are likely to become a default in an enterprise offering.

(6) While Holo and all that may seem silly now, what it provides for directly is itnegration of 3D scanning and a much more robust 3D Printing methodology - technologies to build on.

(7) By providing the upgrade for free, the goal is to quickly eliminate out most older OS holdouts, and to unify development. It's a smart move. And by providing a unified development tool, you make it easier to develop for all devices.

(8) DirectX12 could/should provide substantial boost for those looking for new next gen game and graphics technology.

(9) Inbuilt MKV support and the first true upgrade of digital audio switching and controls since Windows Vista.are a big bonus for split audio, and likely a need for streaming content from XBOX1.

(10) Microsoft is banking on a service model. OS free, but services they want to sell you: Office 365 (monthly or yearly), Skydrive options with different pay costs, etc. etc. Microsoft is finally looking at Windows as a platform to get you to buy other things. This is smart. Frankly, businesses will value this too, and for Microsoft it makes the pay subscription to everything from Office365 - and affiliated apps like Visio make sense. PC goes down.. fine, you've got a subscription and in their new enterprise subscription panel you just remove the license from a dead PC and move it to a new one, no re-activation, just download and install and authorize.

Windows 10 in a lot of ways is Microsoft's Mea Culpa for 8. However, it incorporates some of the best under the hood elements from Windows 8 and improves on them with a more direct model.

There are things about Windows 8 I do appreciate, but in comparison to the roll out of Windows7 it was far too.. unintuitive for people to quickly grasp. Windows 10, from the first boot on is super easy to configure, setup, and control to work like you do.

I think there will be a lot of people especially pleased by this, especially businesses.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
mattCR said:
(5) There are going to be some people who hate this.. but MS is clearly moving to the way of an install is permanently attached to hardware.. this is akin to the Apple method, but will seem unfamiliar for PC users, who like moving installs from hardware to hardware. The benefit of this is it makes it way, way easier to provide hardened security built into the OS. If the OS locks down expected parameters at the beginning - which we got to some with UEFI - and you can extend that, then security becomes much better off the bat; dedicated encryption routines are likely to become a default in an enterprise offering.
What does this mean for those of us that run Windows virtualized in Parallels or Fusion on a Mac? Will it be impossible to reinstall it if I have to delete and rebuild the VM?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
For the first year, all upgrades will be free, no matter what your current windows license method is for Windows 7, 8, 8.1. Your upgrade will be zero. OEMs and purchases with new equipment will still have a fee, but everyone else zip, and that will be it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

I've talked my MS person, and they've verified for me there is no subscription on the OS - though, as I thought, they will of course be interested in subscription services around things you can add on, specifically Microsoft Office and some new components that will be coming down the pike. Plus, remember, for PCs who game, this will be the first time to ask for XBOX Live! Gold yearly etc. Only pay for those things you use (so if you don't need, say, the XBOX Gold Gaming stuff, why bother subscribing)

It doesn't matter how you have your install, physical or virtual for the upgrade. Though, based on the way I'm thinking this is going to run, moving your virtual from one format to another may break the virtual licensing (ie, have it in parallels or bootcamp on a mac and move it to VMWare or Xen on other hardware)..

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
So how many times does Microsoft plan on releasing a new version of Windows 10 so that you would need to upgrade more than once per year? Or are they saying you have 1 year in which to upgrade your current license for free if you wish?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Clinton McClure said:
So how many times does Microsoft plan on releasing a new version of Windows 10 so that you would need to upgrade more than once per year? Or are they saying you have 1 year in which to upgrade your current license for free if you wish?

Version upgrades will no longer work this way at all.. to quote MS.. this won't even make sense under Windows 10. Microsoft could 'Upgrade' the OS 100 times in 2 years, and you wouldn't re-install the OS or install from a disc or medium again at any point, or run through a setup again at any point.

It just doesn't work that way.

MS has committed to upgrading everything, including the core, based on cloud based distribution on at-clear rates. This means, when updates come out, all internet connected units just update. They roll out new programs for it.. it just updates. New version of a browser, new version of core function, whatever.

Unlike just security updates (Service Packs) functionality updates will be auto-published from this point forward.

Pop in a disc to install Win10, and they've rolled out 900 different application updates, and it connects to the cloud and downloads the changes.

MS is basically saying Win10 is it, there will not be another Windows OS published on the desktop side, just individuals who chose which extra components they want to subscribe to, which extra services they may want to grab, and then it handles the rest.

They are saying, from the time of release, for 1 year the OS will be free for all upgraders of Windows 7, 8, 8.1. The OS will never charge you a subscription, etc. so that's it.

For people not upgrading you've got a year to get in the free window.. if not you (may) have to pay an unset fee.. though I'm being told that may also be $0 if you are already a subscribe to say, Office365 - they are still debating that - and of course new PCs will come with the OEM OS, which is expected to have a much different target pricing.. many suggesting sub $50.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the info. I don't really understand the licensing complexities. But when Win10 is released, I'll re-install Win7 on my Macs and upgrade them to Win10. Hopefully there will be a way to make an ISO DVD or USB drive copy from that for subsequent reinstalls.

I'm having serious problems with OS X (and have been reading every article I find discussing whether Apple is losing its way, pro or con). I have no particular interest in switching back to Windows at home. But I need to see what's what with current Windows to make an informed decision in the next year.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I have a Windows 8 PC. Even if the upgrade to Windows 10 is free I'm not likely to use it.

I'm not looking for bells and whistles in my PC. 80% of my use is paying bills, balancing my checkbook, shopping, or some other strictly business purpose. The rest is social networking that I could easily do from my phone.

I'd rather stick with software that is basic but reliable than trust a download that could corrupt the whole system.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
DaveF said:
Thanks for the info. I don't really understand the licensing complexities. But when Win10 is released, I'll re-install Win7 on my Macs and upgrade them to Win10. Hopefully there will be a way to make an ISO DVD or USB drive copy from that for subsequent reinstalls.

I'm having serious problems with OS X (and have been reading every article I find discussing whether Apple is losing its way, pro or con). I have no particular interest in switching back to Windows at home. But I need to see what's what with current Windows to make an informed decision in the next year.

Oh yes, it first downloads in an ISO as the base install.. so that's always possible.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
According to the MS website....
And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge.
So it's free for the first year, and then free thereafter. Why couldn't they say this in a more simplistic manner?

I had to buy a new PC when Win 7 came out because my old Win XP device didn't have enough horsepower. So far I haven't seen any "minimum hardware" specs on Win 10, nor the software tool to download and evaluate your machine's capabilities to run Win 10.

This always reminds me of the joke about Beethoven's great odd-numbered symphonies. Windows 98, XP, and 7 were good: 95, ME, Vista, and 8 not so good.

Win 7 has a great backup utility built in. I installed a second dedicated backup hard drive and also backup to DVD every few months. I suppose I could re-install Win 7 from DVD if Win 10 is a crock.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Two tablets of the five machines I will try to upgrade (3 PCs) are now running under Windows 10.

Looks very good, but %!$&&^! I have to get used to the "old Start" again, having a sort of downwards metro, instead of the real Metro-look.

Next I will upgrade a Win7 PC. One is already moving files.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks