What's new

Windows 10 News and User discussion (2 Viewers)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Haven't gotten my upgrade yet, just the icon in the lower right hand corner.

I haven't seen all the reviews but so far there seem to be more compliments then complaints.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Dr Griffin said:
Edge allows no extensions, and I recently renewed Norton 360. Anyone have info on this?

From Norton's web page.

Hi Everyone,

Microsoft has introduced a new default browser with Windows 10 called Microsoft Edge(link is external). The new browser aims to provide a faster, more flexible and customizable experience.

According to Microsoft, the browser-based products and features that we deliver today will not be compatible with Edge.

The following Norton product features will not be compatible with the new Microsoft Edge browser:

> Identity Safe
> Safe Search
> Safe Web
> Anti-phishing
> Scam Insight

We are investigating alternative ways to deliver these technologies for Microsoft Edge. In the meantime, we encourage customers using Norton security products to use Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome in order to obtain these features.

Note: Internet Explorer will not be going away completely; it will still be available on Windows 10 for legacy compatibility purposes

Norton has been working diligently to ensure our products work flawlessly with Windows 10. Our existing Norton customers need to take advantage of the free update to the latest version of Norton [22.5.2.15] to ensure that they’re Windows 10-ready on day one.

We'll post an update when we have more information on the compatibility between Norton Toolbar & Microsoft Edge.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Got my upgrade the day of release. Went very smoothly and so far, no hiccups that I can find.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Duh.

They are not fully honest. When you upgrade to W10, there's a moment, just before it really starts, where a screen asks you to choose either "quick" settings or (manually) customized. It points out what the "quick" ones will be and urges you to change whatever you want later if you choose that.

It's not a difficult or long or complicated screen to read (unlike the whole Terms document that article refers to). I have read it five times now, and subsequently adjusted my privacy settings on all my devices. I would have preferred the "easy" settings to have been more like I preferred - but come on. The tone of that article is too whiny, like so many (and with a personal reason for that site, of course: they try to attract clicks by "warning" us for something that sounds urgent, in fact more urgent to people reading it before they have done the upgrade themselves).

Up to now, I like W10 and Microsoft Edge (the new browser). It's on 5 of my six machines now, including the one I'm typing this on - without any serious problem. The PC I'm going to retire soon will probably stay on W7, although I just may decide to upgrade it in the very end (as an exercise and learning point).

And yes - I switched Cortana off on all my machines, certainly for the moment at least.

Cees

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Right up to, and including the July 29 Windows 10 launch day, I had resolved to hold off on upgrading from Windows 8.1 Home. However, as my main reservations were at least addressed (Especially in regards to Driver updates!), the next day I decided to take the Windows 10 plunge, going the "Download Windows 10 files onto a USB (An SD Card, actually!) first" route. The main portion of the installation (During which the PC cannot be accessed!) took about 3 hours (Mostly because I chose to keep my files and personal settings, rather than wipe out everything with a clean install!), but went smoothly. In the end, I only had to reinstall Free Malwarebytes and Classic Shell; plus download a third party Data Usage Freeware tool (The version previously built into my Acer was a casualty of the OS upgrade!), as I found the version on Windows 10 to be inadequate.

With some tweaking, apart from my Google Chrome (Which has been running a bit slow lately, anyway!) being somewhat pokey, everything seems to be running pretty well. Most importantly, all of my programs seem to be still functioning after the upgrade!

Interestingly, Microsoft has included a 1 month grace period option, during which users can downgrade to their previous Windows version. This can be done without losing any personal files, though the backing up of same is, of course, recommended!

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sam Posten said:
Easy settings should NEVER entail you giving up privacy. It's pure BS is my opinion Cees. YMMV
Hi Sam!

Agreed, though I've found that privacy (And other!) issues can largely be bypassed by choosing Custom (As opposed to Express, which I've learned to regard as the bane of online and general PC usage!) Settings, and then making the appropriate selections.

Tony

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Apparently Windows 10 is compatible with...

Nothing.

My Cradlepoint router died. My Pantech Verizon USB is now dead.

Started having internet problems Friday. Logged into Cradlepoint to check for an update. There was one. Performed it using the computer(as the tablet wouldn't do it).

The router won't recognize the Pantech now.

Plugged the Pantech into the computer to re-boot it with VZW access manager.

Windows bricks VZW AM.

Fucking. Bull. Shit.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
schan1269 said:
Apparently Windows 10 is compatible with...

Nothing.

My Cradlepoint router died. My Pantech Verizon USB is now dead.

Started having internet problems Friday. Logged into Cradlepoint to check for an update. There was one. Performed it using the computer(as the tablet wouldn't do it).

The router won't recognize the Pantech now.

Plugged the Pantech into the computer to re-boot it with VZW access manager.

Windows bricks VZW AM.

And it is a Windows 10 problem. Cradlepoint has a FAQ not to use Windows 10 to perform updates.

Fucking. Bull. Shit.
Hi Sam!

I'm sorry to hear about the headaches that your Windows 10 upgrade has been causing you! Perhaps, contacting Microsoft Tech Support might be in order? In a worst case scenario, there is the downgrade to the previous OS option that can be exercised in the first month after upgrading to Windows 10, which apparently can be done without the loss of any personal files.

It's a bit technical, but one thing that I've noticed since upgrading to Windows 10 is that in Task Manager, "System" seems to get more of a buildup of used memory that cannot be End Tasked. With less than 5.5 available gigabytes of RAM on my PC Laptop, an excess of 1.0 GB tied up under "System" could be a bit problematic. Unfortunately, my particular Laptop will only handle a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, which makes any memory upgrade almost pointless!

At least everything on my setup seems to be functioning, for which I am grateful!

Tony

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Sam!

I'm sorry to hear about the headaches that your Windows 10 upgrade has been causing you! Perhaps, contacting Microsoft Tech Support might be in order? In a worst case scenario, there is the downgrade to the previous OS option that can be exercised in the first month after upgrading to Windows 10, which apparently can be done without the loss of any personal files.

It's a bit technical, but one thing that I've noticed since upgrading to Windows 10 is that in Task Manager, "System" seems to get more of a buildup of used memory that cannot be End Tasked. With less than 5.5 available gigabytes of RAM on my PC Laptop, an excess of 1.0 GB tied up under "System" could be a bit problematic. Unfortunately, my particular Laptop will only handle a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, which makes any memory upgrade almost pointless!

At least everything on my setup seems to be functioning, for which I am grateful!

Tony
Microsoft can't do anything(rather has no clue what to do).

Cradlepoint and Verizon both say "our programming hasn't been updated to function on W10"...

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Has anyone successfully installed Windows 10 with Parallels Desktop 10 on a Mac? The Windows 10 release version, not the technical beta preview?

Currently running Windows 8.1 Pro with Parallels Desktop 10 on a new 2015 Macbook and trying to upgrade.

Getting a message :

"Unfortunately, this PC is unable to run Windows 10. Compatibility issue. Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM)"

Any ideas?

Raul

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It seems to me that any attempt to upgrade to Windows 10 from any OS other than Windows 7 or 8.1 can be a dodgy proposition.

My Acer PC Laptop had Windows 8 Home Edition to start with, when I purchased this in September, 2013. I updated this to 8.1 on its launch day in November, 2013.

After the news about Windows 10 was announced, I performed the compatibility test, which didn't uncover any issues. More recently, I also noticed that the Hardware that was/is experiencing compatibility issues didn't include anything on my system.

If I have any advice, it's very simply, research, research, and then research some more!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The other issue I'm having...

Purely on VZW...

My bit rate has been jumping around to as little as 1, no higher than 9. My normal is 15 to 22.

The Pantech, when it worked, G3 and Pad 8.3...all three were jumping around. Several times the bit rate flatlined...

Their response..."we aren't aware of any other issues in your area". Yet, tech support showed all three devices not pinging on their end...

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Sam,

Before your upgrade, did the Windows 10 compatibility test say you were good to go?

That test says all my HW and SW is compatible.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Raul Marquez said:
Has anyone successfully installed Windows 10 with Parallels Desktop 10 on a Mac? The Windows 10 release version, not the technical beta preview?

Currently running Windows 8.1 Pro with Parallels Desktop 10 on a new 2015 Macbook and trying to upgrade.

Getting a message :

"Unfortunately, this PC is unable to run Windows 10. Compatibility issue. Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM)"

Any ideas?

Raul
Not yet.
The current version lists Win 8
http://parallels.com/products/desktop/
Support for running a wide array of operating systems including OS X Mavericks, Windows 8.1 & 7, Linux and Google Chrome means you can do just about anything on your ...

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm not even going to bother with Windows 10. I'm running Windows 8.1 Professional in Parallels 9 and have no desire to pay to upgrade to Parallels 10. I've managed to work down the number of Windows applications I use from around 10 to 2 and as soon as I can find an OSX equal for those I'm done with Windows forever (except at my office unfortunately).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks