What's new

Windows 10 News and User discussion (1 Viewer)

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Dave, Thank you for your last link above. I was able to install Windows 10 without problems.

Forced to use Windows since my hospital's electronic medical record runs on it.

Thanks again.

Raul

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Clinton McClure said:
I'm not even going to bother with Windows 10. I'm running Windows 8.1 Professional in Parallels 9 and have no desire to pay to upgrade to Parallels 10.

FWIW, I got Windows 10 running as a guest in Parallels 9 and so far it seems stable. I performed the upgrade on a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (without Parallels Tools installed). After the upgrade, I installed Parallel Tools.

The key seems to be changing the CD/DVD and hard drive emulation settings to IDE, they are set to SATA by default. Once I did that, the upgrade went smoothly.

-Keith

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
As I'm running Win7 quite happily, I'm going to wait until a few million installs find the bugs and said bugs get stomped out. I'll also wait to be sure drivers are available for everything I have installed, and that all my applications will still run. I also want to see the interface on an actual computer, and if I can set it up the way the way I -- repeat I -- want. Windows has gotten less and less customizable. It's turning into a digital Model T -- anything you want as long as you want it the way we want it. XP was a high-water mark for personalization; the water has been getting lower with each version since. Heck, now you can't even have your own sound for starting windows -- it has to be "The Microsoft Sound" or nothing.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dennis Nicholls said:
Sam,

Before your upgrade, did the Windows 10 compatibility test say you were good to go?

That test says all my HW and SW is compatible.
I got the "upgrade to 10" notice via Windows Update non the 8.1 app(which is separate from Control Panel). It had already done the check.

My issues are purely with Verizon cellular internet in combination with a Cradlepoint cellular router(MBR95).

Cradlepoint already changed their admin on all "hardwire" routers. I should have known something was wrong when I couldn't log in Admin on the laptop. I logged in using Firefox on the tablet, then cloned the screen to the laptop once I was logged in. Cradlepoint had no idea why the update wouldn't work via the tablet.

Also...Apparently 10 has a built in bit rate limiter if it knows you are on a cellular connection(it is embedded in Edge). Once that was found...internet returned to "almost normal".

I was in a tech support 4-way for 90 minutes this morning. Even MS tech support didn't know about the embedded limiter till Verizon said it was there. Once that person knew where certain settings went(Edge goes back to a "pre-7 layout")...my limiter was reset.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Since upgrading to Windows 10 Home, I've noticed in my Task Manager that rundll32.exe sometimes uses more than 2 GB of RAM. While I can End Task this application (Doing this also reduces the amount of System Memory being used!), having to check for this repeatedly is somewhat annoying, especially as it doesn't take much for my 5.44 available GB of RAM (The remaining 512 MB is dedicated to AMD Video Graphics.) to max out!

Does anyone have any idea as to if/how this issue can be eliminated?

CHEERS! :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Raul Marquez said:
Dave, Thank you for your last link above. I was able to install Windows 10 without problems.

Forced to use Windows since my hospital's electronic medical record runs on it.

Thanks again.

Raul
Let me know how it goes. I plan to upgrade after OS X El Capitan and the subsequent Parallels upgrade.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In the last few hours, rundll32.exe has mysteriously stopped popping up in my Task Manager. No complaints!* :)

On the whole, I'm liking Windows 10 much better than Windows 8/8.1, though I still use Classic Shell for my Desktop. With the Windows Start Key, I can toggle between the Classic Shell and Windows 10 Menus. Unlike the mostly annoying Windows 8 Features, which whenever possible, I pretty much avoided like the plague (I was more than a bit bitter about missing out on Windows 7!), I do want to give at least some of the actual Windows 10 Features a fair chance!

P.S. * Guess what popped up again? Ah, well! :rolleyes:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just gave the Microsoft Edge Internet Browser a try. It turns out that a Touch Screen isn't necessary to access some of its neat (In my opinion!) doodling features! Boxes in which notes can be typed can also be easily accessed. In short, ME includes some of the types of features that are found on Microsoft Paint. At some point, I want to attempt the share page/s option!

OK, I admit that I'm now hooked on Windows 10! Must assimilate! Resistance is futile!! ;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Rundll32.exe is an old "villain", if you google it you'll find complaints go back as far as 2001 at least.

I must say, I'm getting hooked to W10 as well, in fact almost from the start of my upgrade activities. And I'm using Edge as well, thinking I'm starting to like it.

It looks like Microsoft really did a nice job this time.

Cees

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Sam Posten said:
So for those of you who upgraded: did you jump through the hoops to avoid MS spying on you or are you letting them do so?
??? Like Cortana?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sam Posten said:
So for those of you who upgraded: did you jump through the hoops to avoid MS spying on you or are you letting them do so?
Hi Sam!

During the Windows 10 installation, I simply chose the Custom (I almost never choose Express Settings for anything PC related!) Settings option, and made the desired privacy setting selections. There wasn't much to it, really.

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Cees Alons said:
Rundll32.exe is an old "villain", if you google it you'll find complaints go back as far as 2001 at least.

I must say, I'm getting hooked to W10 as well, in fact almost from the start of my upgrade activities. And I'm using Edge as well, thinking I'm starting to like it.

It looks like Microsoft really did a nice job this time.

Cees
Hi Cees!

Yes, I do recall having run into an issue with Rundll32 on Windows XP a few years back. However, in that case, it was my CPU that kept maxing out (As was widely reported at the time!). Unfortunately, I don't recall what finally fixed it, or whether I just simply learned to live with it?

I find this current dilemma to be worse for a couple of reasons:

1. The Windows Host Process Rundll32 in question appears to be a legitimate executable file (Unlike rogue Rundll files that at least, can be removed with Anti-Virus Software!) that is present in my Windows System Folder and thus, cannot be removed!

2. The amount of memory (sometimes over 2.5 GB of RAM!) that gets taken up by the legitimate Rundll file just about freezes my system! I wish to God that I could find a free online solution to resolve this, but so far, I've had no success in doing so!

Ah well, there's worse things, I guess! :P

Tony

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Ain't this a bit of terrific? Microsoft hijacks your computer so it can send updates to others and save money on its data charges. And you get to pay for it via extra data usage charges! Another reason to stay on Win7.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-silently-uses-your-bandwidth-to-send-updates-to-others/

And this is interesting as well, as Microsoft's penchant for shuffling things that don't need shuffling (do they own those grocery stores that move everything around just when you've figured out where things are?):

http://www.zdnet.com/article/i-like-windows-10-but-im-going-back-to-windows-8-1/

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Minor report...

Most things are back to normal. The bit rate setting made a big difference. The Roku works again.

Although VZW still has a dancing bit rate(problem on their end in conjunction with I'm smack dab in the middle of three 3G fringe zones).

Set privacy so the above is nothing major. And now that it works...found most things from where they were in 8.1.

Working 10-12 hours a day doesn't leave much 'puter play time...

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Rick Thompson said:
Ain't this a bit of terrific? Microsoft hijacks your computer so it can send updates to others and save money on its data charges. And you get to pay for it via extra data usage charges! Another reason to stay on Win7.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-silently-uses-your-bandwidth-to-send-updates-to-others/

And this is interesting as well, as Microsoft's penchant for shuffling things that don't need shuffling (do they own those grocery stores that move everything around just when you've figured out where things are?):

http://www.zdnet.com/article/i-like-windows-10-but-im-going-back-to-windows-8-1/
There are benefits to the user on how the updates are handled and it is easy to disable if desired. As for the "going back to Windows 8.1" article, she seems to have adapted to Windows 8.x from Windows 7 without issue, moving from 8.x to Windows 10 will require much less adjustment.

I never went to Windows 8.x and have just started playing around with Windows 10 (I use OS X most of the time) but it looks pretty nice to me. To each his own.

-Keith

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Windows 10 itself is fine.

It's this stupid, bloody Windows Host Process (Rundll32) memory hog that keeps popping up in my Task Manager since I installed it that's really ticking me off at the moment! I just had to "End Task" this yet again, for the umpteenth time!

I strongly suspect that "Trusteer Endpoint Protection" has something to do with this headache, though it wasn't an issue with my Windows 8.1. Yes, I've made repeated attempts to uninstall this, but I still get Trusteers couldn't uninstall due to software programs being used (Or words to that effect!) message even after I closed all of my Browser Pages, as instructed!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Update: As I've been unable to uninstall Trusteer (What an ironic name!), I've tried shutting it off, instead! Hopefully, this will resolve the Rundll32 issue!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
While it's likely too early to tell regarding the annoying Rundll32, shutting off the "Trusteer Endpoint Protection" seems to have sped up my internet significantly!

Stupid bundled poxy junk programs in the guise of protecting and/or improving PC performance! What a load!

Well, at least we know that SOME things haven't changed with the new Windows 10! :P

P.S. It didn't work! Still getting @#$% RUNDLL32!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks