What's new

WHV Announcement: The Essential Bugs Bunny (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
what i find funny is what is all the hate for bosco, look not every ones cup of tea, but the pre columbia stooges need done corectly, the fact is if you are going to do something then do it right, not half assed, like the tom and jerry sets, the fact that one toon is in the sets (texas tom) twice is one mistake, but to omit three because of the material, when they had a disclamer, makes the disclamer redundent,

for the sake of art, i want to see bosco, and oswald, and i would like to see fox do H&J

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I have read that Warner Archive is indeed doing something with the Three Stooges. A few MGM shorts have come out as extras on a couple DVDs (which I think are deleted now anyway). What was posted about this was very cryptic, but apparently would involve Shemp's solo Vitaphone shorts as well -- maybe it'll be a comprehensive comedy shorts set? Then there are the several feature films in which the Stooges had a scene or two. Most of that was covered in the "Lost Stooges" TV special. One of the Healy/Stooge films -- "Myrt And Marge" -- was a Universal picture -- hope that one is safe and sound, and will surface eventually. Cinemax showed it in the 1980s alongside some of the later Columbia Stooge features.

Here are the MGM Stooge shorts:

Nertsery Rhymes (Technicolor)

Beer & Pretzels

Hello Pop (Technicolor) (a lost film)

Plane Nuts

The Big Idea

Roast-Beef And Movies (Technicolor) (Curly and two other guys)

Jail Birds Of Paradise (Technicolor) (Curly and Moe) (lost)

Abbott & Costello are almost complete on DVD -- "Rio Rita" and "A&C Meet Captain Kidd" are still holdouts (both owned by WB). WB also should have the best elements on "Jack And The Beanstalk." I'd like to see an "official" version of "Africa Screams" too, not sure who would have the original ele ments on that one.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
There's no perfect way to release something like LT. Too many characters, eras and types of fans. I thought the box sets were great because there was something for everyone. But sets like that probably stop selling after awhile.

I'm still pushing for character sets. I'm just not sure you can avoid the double dip that way. Not if you want to do complete sets that is. I'm avoiding the new Bugs set because it's too much of a rerun. But I still hope it does great so we can get sets from Daffy, Porky & Foghorn.

Foghorn, in particular, has not been overexposed on DVD yet and could easily be done in a complete set.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Why would Warner go through the headache of deciding what should go on which set?

As someone pointed out, there are so many Bugs/Daffy and Porky/Daffy teamings -- there's even a Leghorn/Daffy cartoon from 1956 -- that decisions would have to be made as to where to put them, or else they'd show up twice (or three times!) in character sets.

All this would be avoided if the decision were made to release ALL of them -- once and for all -- in chronological order. And each set would have something for everyone!

Besides, who in his or her right mind would want to sit down and watch every Pepe LePew cartoon at once? They're all the same! (And, let's face it, so are the Road Runner cartoons, but they have more variations in the jokes.) But seeing them spaced out (which is how they were released to theaters, of course), at the rate of one or two a set, would be ok.

But good old Bosko screwed up this plan. If they started with Bosko, sales would be disastrous, and the plug would be pulled.

So DON'T start with Bosko! I love chronological order as much as anyone on earth, but there's no particular reason to begin at the beginning (which was the Mad Hatter's advice to Alice, and he was crazy!)

This is all a moot point. Warners isn't going to start over with Looney Tunes. They blew this one big time.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
At one time, I thought I remember hearing that WB was thinking about Looney Tunes on Blu ray. Maybe they would rethink the Golden Collections mode and go with some type of chronological release for that. But then, how many people want to start over with Blu ray?

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by ChrisALM At one time, I thought I remember hearing that WB was thinking about Looney Tunes on Blu ray. Maybe they would rethink the Golden Collections mode and go with some type of chronological release for that. But then, how many people want to start over with Blu ray?
It would all depend on the quality of the Blu-ray treatment and the extra features included. This WOULD be their chance to do “Complete” and “Chronological” correctly! It could start with Bosko and end with Cool Cat’s “Injun Trouble” (if anyone ever saw that it would probably be censored anyway) – or it could more easily follow my suggestion of pairing “Popular Years” with “Unpopular Years” in the same set, as Blu-ray could “pack it in densely”… …But it would feel less like a double dip – and could be the “Specialty Project” fans and collectors have dreamed about! Naaah! It’ll never happen! Warner is no longer concerned with anything but the mass market consumer – and their animation releases of the last 2 years have proved this unerringly.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Joe Tor1 Quote: It would all depend on the quality of the Blu-ray treatment and the extra features included. This WOULD be their chance to do “Complete” and “Chronological” correctly! It could start with Bosko and end with Cool Cat’s “Injun Trouble” (if anyone ever saw that it would probably be censored anyway) – or it could more easily follow my suggestion of pairing “Popular Years” with “Unpopular Years” in the same set, as Blu-ray could “pack it in densely”… …But it would feel less like a double dip – and could be the “Specialty Project” fans and collectors have dreamed about! Naaah! It’ll never happen! Warner is no longer concerned with anything but the mass market consumer – and their animation releases of the last 2 years have proved this unerringly.
When I speak of Blu ray, I am talking about a genuine Blu ray treatment, a top quality release. If WB tried anything short of that, I don't think it would work. People wouldn't buy it. It would feel less like a double dip if they started this hypothetical Blu ray release as soon as possible, not waiting until several hundred more Looney Tunes have been released on standard definition. They could, and should, continue to release standard definition in a variety collections for those not interested in owning all the 1000+ Looney Tunes. If WB continues to wait to go Blu ray, I think more and more people are likely to be content with the standard definition releases, and balk at the upgrade. I agree with you though, I doubt it is going to happen. But, I can dream about it.

babygrace1234

Auditioning
Real Name
baby grace
Recap:

***17 "Classic" Cartoons:

1-Baseball Bugs
2-Rabbit of Seville
3-What's Opera, Doc?

15-Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers
16-Carrotblanca
17-Hare and Loathing in Las Vegas

***Choice TV Specials:

-How Bugs Bunny Won The West

-Bugs Bunny's Wild World Of Sports

***1 New Featurette:

-Bugs Bunny:Ain't He A Stinker?

***Rare Appearances:

-Two Guys from Texas

-My Dream Is Your

(((Any more info?)))

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Originally Posted by babygrace1234

(((Any more info?)))

Yep.

• Disc 1:
    • Elmer's Candid Camera (1940, Jones)
    • A Wild Hare (1940, Avery)
    • The Old Grey Hare (1944, Clampett)
    • Baseball Bugs (1946, Freleng)
    • Hair Raising Hare (1946, Jones)
    • Haredevil Hare (1948, Jones)
    • 8 Ball Bunny (1950, Jones)
    • Rabbit of Seville (1950, Jones)
    • Rabbit Fire (1951, Jones)
    • Show Biz Bugs (1957, Freleng)
    • Knighty Knight Bugs (1958, Freleng)
    • What's Opera Doc? (1957, Jones)
  • Disc 2:
    • Any Bonds Today? (1942, Clampett)
    • Excerpt from "My Dream is Yours" (1949)
    • How Bugs Bunny Won the West TV special (1978)
    • Bugs Bunny Wild World of Sports TV special (1989)
    • Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers (1992, Ford/Lennon)
    • Carrotblanca (1995, McCarthy)
    • Hare and Loathing in Las Vegas (2003 [unreleased], Kopp/Shin)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bugs-Bunny-Looney-Tunes-Comedy-Hour-Essential-Bugs-Bunny/14025

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by Ed Moroughan
  • Disc 1:
    • Elmer's Candid Camera (1940, Jones)
    • A Wild Hare (1940, Avery)
    • The Old Grey Hare (1944, Clampett)
    • Baseball Bugs (1946, Freleng)
    • Hair Raising Hare (1946, Jones)
    • Haredevil Hare (1948, Jones)
    • 8 Ball Bunny (1950, Jones)
    • Rabbit of Seville (1950, Jones)
    • Rabbit Fire (1951, Jones)
    • Show Biz Bugs (1957, Freleng)
    • Knighty Knight Bugs (1958, Freleng)
    • What's Opera Doc? (1957, Jones)
  • Disc 2:
    • Any Bonds Today? (1942, Clampett)
    • Excerpt from "My Dream is Yours" (1949)
    • How Bugs Bunny Won the West TV special (1978)
    • Bugs Bunny Wild World of Sports TV special (1989)
    • Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers (1992, Ford/Lennon)
    • Carrotblanca (1995, McCarthy)
    • Hare and Loathing in Las Vegas (2003 [unreleased], Kopp/Shin)
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bugs-Bunny-Looney-Tunes-Comedy-Hour-Essential-Bugs-Bunny/14025
That’s not a very impressive set! Disc One is fine (despite serious double-dipping) but what's with disc two! I could do without ALL of that! Essential, they call it? At least we’ll get “A Wild Hare” – hopefully with the original title restored.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
As I see it this "Essential" set is aimed at the "casual collector" and not those who were purchasing the "Golden Collection" sets. I'll not be picking this up as it feels too much like filler.

I would *love* to see the "Golden Collections" continue. I'll take the 4 "Super Stars" disks as that's all it seems we'll get but I'd rather have them in a collection. Currently I'm holding off to see if WB releases the 4 yearly SS disks as a "collectors set" the following year.

I'm one who did *not* like the Bosko toons, but I don't much care for early/experimental animation. Those should have been "bonus" toons spread over several disks/sets. I also have never liked the "Merry Melodies" which consist of dancing/singing "stuff" (I very much dislike musicals in general) or the ones with then current stars in animated cameos. When any of these would come on I would do something else until they went off, but they are part of the LT history and are on the sets so I'll take 'em to get what I do want.

While not perfect, the GC sets were the best thing to happen to LT in a looooong time. While I'd have really prefered a chronological release, if for no other reason than to mix it up a bit as any disk of a single character gets old fast, I understand the difficulties of just when to start. I, for one, would not have picked up any of the B/W years as I feel that, overall, these are inferior to the later color toons. I felt that way when I saw 'em as a kid and still feel that way.

I'm impatiently waiting for more Foghorn Leghorn who was treated very poorly in the GC sets.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Those contents are about what I expected. Very nice to have confirmation that the only classics here are double dips. Props to WB for staying the course.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by BobO'Link

I'm impatiently waiting for more Foghorn Leghorn who was treated very poorly in the GC sets.

A Foghorn Super Stars disc should be coming later this year.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Additionally,

The Bugs Bunny Show (1960) - specific episode not yet revealed was just added to Disk 2's contents. I may be interested if it is better quality than that horrid Tom and Jerry set recently released. We shall see.

Updated Link: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bugs-Bunny-Looney-Tunes-Comedy-Hour-Essential-Bugs-Bunny/14025

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by Ed Moroughan

Additionally,

The Bugs Bunny Show (1960) - specific episode not yet revealed was just added to Disk 2's contents. I may be interested if it is better quality than that horrid Tom and Jerry set recently released. We shall see.

Updated Link: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bugs-Bunny-Looney-Tunes-Comedy-Hour-Essential-Bugs-Bunny/14025

That elevates the almost needless Disc 2 somewhat -- as long as it's not a double-dip from a Golden Collection or Sat AM Cartoons set.

In fact, if they somehow reconstruct the Bugs Bunny Show that was an expanded version of Freleng's "Devil's Feud Cake", I might become Disc 2's biggest advocate!

That one had "Roman Legion Hare", "Sahara Hare" - and one other an cannot recall. I loved it as a kid and would love to see it again.

In fact, why not a "Bugs Bunny Show" set?!

I know, lots of restoration. Maybe as a Warner Archives offering?

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

Quote:

In fact, why not a "Bugs Bunny Show" set?!

I know, lots of restoration. Maybe as a Warner Archives offering?

I would be there for a Bugs Bunny Show release. There was some new bridging material between the cartoons that filled out the show. But, I'm not sure how much any of this survives.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
WARNER HOME VIDEO PAYS TRIBUTE TO ONE OF THE WORLD’S MOST POPULAR CARTOON CHARACTERS WITH THE RELEASE OF THE ESSENTIAL BUGS BUNNY COLLECTION AVAILABLE ON DVD OCTOBER 12, 2010 A Unique Bugs Bunny Collection! Features Three Re-mastered Shorts! Six Looney Tunes Classics are New to DVD BURBANK, CA (July 13, 2010) – Bugs Bunny, one of animation’s most recognizable characters is celebrated on The Essential Bugs Bunny Collection, the newest DVD release from Warner Home Video’s (WHV) Looney Tunes library. Available in stores October 12, 2010, this title celebrates Bugs Bunny’s superstardom through a set of key classic shorts, many of which mark essential milestones in the character’s career. This DVD set includes 20 Looney Tunes classics on two discs (almost four hours of content) and will retail for $26.99 SRP. In A Wild Hare, viewers are introduced to the “wascally wabbit” who says “Eh, what’s up doc?” in his recognizable “Brooklyn-Bronx” voice. Carefully selected for this collection are classic shorts that define Bugs Bunny and were specifically chosen to showcase his interaction with other notable characters such as Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Marvin the Martian and Daffy Duck. The Essential Bugs Bunny Collection is a comprehensive compilation that features some of the best of Bugs Bunny’s body of work. It consists of theatrical shorts, television episodes and specials. How Bugs Bunny Won The West, Bugs Bunny’s Wild World Of Sports and Hare and Loathing In Las Vegas are new to DVD. “Viewers will be completely engaged with this unique collection,” said Amit Desai, WHV Vice President of Family, Animation and Partner Brands Marketing. He added, “We took care to select a series of cartoons which show off Bugs Bunny’s finest moments. Bugs Bunny passed through the hands of some of the most gifted animators in cartoon history, each of whom put his own distinctive mark on the character. This is a must-have-title for anyone who loves great animation.” DVD Special Features Include:
  • Ain’t I a Stinker – This new featurette is a mini-documentary that details Bugs Bunny’s vast career.
  • Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers – Available for the first time in its original uncut form, this 1990 short was originally released on the Space Jam DVD in a cut version.
  • Bug’s Bunny Bustin’ Out All Over – Emmy nominated TV Special.
  • The Carnival of the Animals – 1976 television special set against an orchestral backdrop which was directed by Chuck Jones.
Bugs Bunny was “born” in Brooklyn, New York. He was created by Tex Avery (who directed A Wild Hare) and Robert McKimson (who was responsible for creating the definitive Bugs Bunny character design) as well as other animators. Some of Bugs’ other fathers include Chuck Jones, Ben Hardaway, and Bob Clampett. A AAaaccording to Mel Blanc, the character’s original voice actor, Bugs Bunny has a Flatbush accent, which is an equal blend of the Bronx and Brooklyn dialects. His catchphrase is a casual “Eh…what’s up doc?” and is usually said while munching on a carrot. Disc 1 (Essential Theatrical Shorts) Disc 2 (Bugs Bunny from the Vault) Elmer’s Candid Camera My Dream is Yours A Wild Hare How Bugs Bunny Won the West – (New To DVD) The Old Grey Hare Bugs Bunny Wild World of Sports – (New To DVD) Baseball Bugs Carrotblanca Hair Raising Hare Hare in Loathing in Las Vegas – (New To DVD) Hairdevil Hare Eight Ball Bunny Plus all the Special Features: Rabbit of Seville Ain’t I A Stinker (NEW) Rabbit Fire Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers Show Biz Bugs Bug’s Bunny Bustin’ Out All Over Knighty Knight Bugs The Carnival of the Animals What’s Opera Doc?

Real Name
Michael
That disc 2 is confusing. It's supposedly a disc full of bonus features, but some shorts and specials are listed as part of the main program while others are listed as bonus features. In my opinion the new featurette (and maybe also the clip from "My Dream is Yours") is really the only "bonus feature". How'd they decide which shorts and specials would be "bonus features" and which wouldn't?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks