What's new

HELP!! OUR APARTMENT IS BED BUG INFESTED!!!! (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
UPDATE: With 6 days to go before our scheduled 3rd and final bed bug treatment, the last bed bug sighting on my bed was 2 weeks ago today, which was the day after our 2nd treatment!

When I spoke with a pest control person yesterday about setting up our final treatment, he confirmed the numbers were way down from before the first treatment. Barring any further sightings, we should be able to resume "normal" living 3 weeks following the last treatment, which will be September 8.

Our summer has been a bit of a write off, what with the Mrs also STILL waiting for a medical diagnosis, and final touch up reno work for our apartment being on pause with our bed bug issue!

This week, I've been paring down on the contents of our PLASTIC totes that have been in our storage locker since months before our infestation; thus I don't have to wait until our September 8 all clear to get rid of them! Only 2 of the 5 totes still contain items, one of them being some Christmas decorations. It also has our son's area rug, and two bags of clothes I plan to take down to a Value Village and Canadian Diabetes donation bin soon as I can get a ride! Space is at a premium and at some point, new flooring still needs to be installed in our building, including the storage rooms, during which any remaining contents in our storage locker will have to be temporarily moved to our apartment; hopefully not BEFORE September 8!

CHEERS! :)
On a positive note, I did get a ride from a dear friend yesterday afternoon, and have given the area rug to our nearest Value Village outlet, and donated the two bags of clothing to the Canadian Diabetes Association! While there is still a bit of stuff to dispose of, it is at a much more manageable level, now!

Sadly, our son is STILL getting bit! I thought that had stopped, UGH!! :(

I left a message with pest control to let them know!
Tomorrow morning, I plan to contact the pest control company that has been doing our treatments to discuss solutions regarding the stubborn bed bug issue in our living room. While I assume the likelihood of them surviving in the huge sectional, I want to hear some constructive input from a professional and go from there!

Just to further clarify, our son says he is still getting bitten at night, BUT he hasn't seen any bed bugs, which may or may not be relevant.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
OK, so here's how things appear to be at the present:

The Good -

- It has been 29 days since I’ve last seen any bedbugs in my bedroom. Far as I know, neither the Mrs nor our son has seen any in that timeframe, either.
- It has been 25 days since I last spotted a bedbug (It was a dead one inside my Rechargeable Shaver box, along the top edge of the felt drawstring bag!) in any of my items.

The Bad -
- Even though none of us have SEEN any bedbugs recently, our son is STILL periodically discovering new bites, with the most recent incident last Tuesday morning, when he discovered two new bites on his hand!

The Ugly –
- I suspect the sectional in our living room that our son sleeps on has been housing some survivors. It was only with the final treatment a week ago last Friday that our son had taken apart the sectional so that it could be more fully sprayed, plus the Mrs and I were able to move most of the sealed bags that had been piled up against the one side to our storage room locker! I remain hopeful that his most recent bites were by a stray survivor who hadn’t yet fully succumbed to the final bed bug treatment, which has a residual effect for up to 3 months! If not….

Stay tuned!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just to further clarify, our son says he is still getting bitten at night, BUT he hasn't seen any bed bugs, which may or may not be relevant.
As it turns out, the above may very well be relevant in this case! I'll explain why below.

The Bad -
- Even though none of us have SEEN any bedbugs recently, our son is STILL periodically discovering new bites, with the most recent incident last Tuesday morning, when he discovered two new bites on his hand!
Early this afternoon a few days after discovering his most recent "bites" on his feet, our son told us that the bites he reported to us since after the 3rd and final bed bug treatment didn't swell up like the previous bites did with him. Furthermore, he thinks it could be his old eczema coming back. He's certainly been experiencing enough stress for it lately, as we all have! Bed bug PTSD is indeed very much a reality, as I have also been experiencing! Hopefully, this will fade over time!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Here's an update:

A little over 3 months after our final Bedbug treatment (Which has a 3 month residual kill effect!), I started seeing a few live ones again! We ended up getting a further 3 treatments, the last one being January 11th, 2024.

My last live Bedbug sighting was Christmas Eve, though I did see a dead one, or the shell of one on the Headboard that I've been keeping off to the side in my Bedroom. I had jostled the Headboard earlier which I suspect may have caused the carcass/shell to fall out of a hiding spot within it. At least, that's my hope!

My hope is to get well past the BB treatment's expected 3 month residual effect kill span without any further BB sightings! I really don't want to have to be dealing with this garbage on my 60th Birthday, which is near the end of this month, and well past the previous post 3 month BB sighting span! Pest control said they didn't see any Bedbugs when they did the final treatment in January, so I'm cautiously hopeful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks