What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (4 Viewers)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Raging Sun, Raging Sky (Criterion Channel) 2009. A 3 1/4 hour Mexican with hardly any dialogue, and none among the 3 principals. Lots of full-frontal nudity (one woman, three men). I'm not quite sure what the film means, but there is a love story between two of the guys, another guy tries to break it up in a mythological realm. Rescue, death, rebirth (?). Whatever. But it's one beautifully shot film.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
March 2nd, 2020 Monday

Friday The 13th Part2
HD Digital / 4K Apple TV - 1080p upconverted to 4K
5.1 Dolby

Friday The 13th 2a.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched the Blu-ray disc of Pandora And The Flying Dutchman last night. I've always enjoyed this film and yesterday was no exception. One thing I find alarming is that the problems with this Blu-ray disc were not nearly as obvious as they were when I first watched it ten years ago. Presumably, that means my eyesight is not as good as it was!

It's always been clear to me that Joseph Mankiewicz was influenced by this film when preparing The Barefoot Contessa. He took not only the Spanish setting but also Ava Gardner, Jack Cardiff and Marius Goring. Mind you, good choices all round!

I'm probably going to have another look at White Sands tonight.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Ended up on the TCM app this afternoon and pulled down The Nun's Story, one of my all-time favorite films of any genre. The transfer on the TCM app is beautiful, the best I've ever seen it look. I bought the iTunes HD version last year at one point because I got tired of waiting for Warner Archive to bring this magnificent movie to us on Blu-ray, but I think the TCM transfer is superior to my iTunes HD stream. I plan to check it out once I finish the movie tonight (I got Sister Luke to the Congo before I shut everything down for the afternoon).

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Corpus Christi (DCP) 2019. Perhaps the lesser of the 5 Oscar-nominated films for the International Award. However, this Polish drama is still a powerful story of an ex-juvie who stumbles accidentally into the role of a priest. What he does to the parishioners, and to himself, as a fake priest is the crux of the story.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ended up on the TCM app this afternoon and pulled down The Nun's Story, one of my all-time favorite films of any genre. The transfer on the TCM app is beautiful, the best I've ever seen it look. I bought the iTunes HD version last year at one point because I got tired of waiting for Warner Archive to bring this magnificent movie to us on Blu-ray, but I think the TCM transfer is superior to my iTunes HD stream. I plan to check it out once I finish the movie tonight (I got Sister Luke to the Congo before I shut everything down for the afternoon).
I think it's the same transfer used for both.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Berlin Babylon: Season 3 (Netflix HD) The first 8 chapters of 12. Police procedural takes place in Berlin, Sept./Oct. 1929, just before the Crash. The Nazis are brewing.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Berlin Babylon: Season 3 (Netflix HD) Finished the last 4 episodes. Very satisfying German series. Ended with the 1929 stock market crash. The Nazis are just a blip on the horizon. Little do the German people know...

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
While my system was still set up for 3D, I decided to screen Amityville 3D since the spacing requirements are the same as they are for Jaws 3D. It's not the best story like Jaws 3D but the 3D effects are fun to watch. Had a noon showing today!!

amityvile.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Slow Burn (2005) last night. I'd never seen it before and was expecting a better film. After about thirty minutes I suddenly realised this was The Usual Suspects done sideways. I didn't especially like the film but It held my attention and I would like to see the actress in something different.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Living Idol (Criterion Channel) 1957. Albert Lewin's final film. Shot in Cinemascope and Eastmancolor (gorgeous) by Jack Hildyard, the tale is a cross between Cat People and The Leopard Man. It sometimes borders on the strangely ridiculous (like watching James Robertson Justice fight and getting mauled by a jaguar he set free). Anyway, I'm glad I saw this strange misfire. The print, from Cohen, is not remastered, but full of scratches and imperfections.
Young Sherlock Holmes (Criterion Channel) 1985. Good fun to be had here. HD print looks ready for release if Paramount felt like it.
The Day of the Locust (Criterion Channel) 1975. Apocalypse in Hollywood. Shot in a soft, golden haze by Conrad Hall. John Schlesinger directs a tremendous cast in this adaptation of Nathaniel West's short novel (do read it!), adapted by Waldo Salt. And is it ever good! Another HD transfer from Paramount ready for release if they should want to.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Shaft (WB 4K HDR) 2019. OK, I enjoyed it. So sue me.
Cimarron (iTunes HD). 1931. Much maligned epic film partly because it won the AA for best film when more worthy films were released that year, and they weren't even nominated. Well, that wasn't this film's fault. As it stands, it may creak a bit, but it's a courageous stab at the opening of the Oklahoma territory which entailed stealing land from the Native Americans; taming lawlessness; overcoming racial prejudices against non-whites; lady zealots vs. prostitution. The 1889 Land Rush is spectacularly filmed and many other sequences are expertly handled by director Ruggles, not a gifted director by any means. Dix occasionally rises to the occasion and Dunne is effective throughout. There are many virtues here. The print is way too ragged to be properly released by the Archive. Too bad, because the remake is marred by miscasting and by not hewing to the story line, particularly in the latter part of the movie.
A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon (Netflix 4K UHD) 2019. An utter delight. It takes all the UFO tropes from all the movies we love (or hate) and pays homage to them, or does it make mincemeat of them...Visual and aural gags abound. It's just so very, very good.
Temblores (Tremors) (Film Movement DVD) 2019. From Guatemala, a film exposing the evil of conversion therapy. This film has been condemned by many as espousing therapy as a cure for "gayness," when it fact it shows how the protagonist endures "the cure" under duress, in a robotic state, in order to return to the bosom of his family (mainly his children), and conform to the middle class mores of his society. There is pain at the end, not salvation.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
After talking about Friday 3D the past couple of days, I just felt the need t0 screen the Friday the 13th 2009 for a Saturday matinee. Truly a mint print and the SDDS with DTS backup sounds fantastic.

friday 2009.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks