What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Toronto Argonauts

Second Unit
Reaction score
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
A very enjoyable movie. Agatha Christie style.

dana martin

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Dana Martin
upload_2020-2-29_23-42-28.png

Perfection, hope Vol 2 is announced within the next few months

upload_2020-2-29_23-44-55.png

Nothing holds a candle to the original, i see what they are trying to do and turn this in to very topical series, but the 80's version had more heart to it

Reactions: Dave Moritz

Robin9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robin
I watched the Warner Archive Blu-ray disc of Pete Kelly's Blues last night. I've always loved this film and every time I watch it I feel the same regret that Jack Webb did not direct more movies. The film's story is very slight and the movie's strength comes from its sense of atmosphere and the excellent performances of the actors, Peggy Lee in particular.

Pete Kelly's Blues was one of the very first Warner Archive Blu-ray discs and is absolutely superb. It was this disc that alerted me to their business strategy: release films where the elements don't need much work.

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Long Voyage Home (TCM app) 1940. Thanks to battlebeast I checked this one which I hadn't seen since a magnificent print in the '70s. Although not as great as that one, it reminded me how exquisite Toland's lighting is, and what an unerring eye (sorry) Ford had for blocking, framing and direction of his actors. And how those opening shots of sultry, swaying in the hot breeze women ever passed the Hays office is beyond me. There's some eroticism at play in plain sight! This film is definitely a masterpiece and one of Toland's and Ford's best work.
The Fighting Seabees (iTunes HD stream) 1944. Another John Wayne. He plays a hot-headed civilian who causes many deaths for disobeying military orders. Totally unsympathetic character, even if he redeems himself at the end.
Burning (WELL GO BD) 2018. Tantalizing South Korean film that peels like an onion. A triangle that is never resolved. How much is real or imagined...mysteries are solved, or are they...An examination of class, economics, genetics, psychological imbalances, reality vs. fiction.

Reactions: Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
The Long Voyage Home (TCM app) 1940. Thanks to battlebeast I checked this one which I hadn't seen since a magnificent print in the '70s. Although not as great as that one, it reminded me how exquisite Toland's lighting is, and what an unerring eye (sorry) Ford had for blocking, framing and direction of his actors. And how those opening shots of sultry, swaying in the hot breeze women ever passed the Hays office is beyond me. There's some eroticism at play in plain sight! This film is definitely a masterpiece and one of Toland's and Ford's best work.
The Fighting Seabees (iTunes HD stream) 1944. Another John Wayne. He plays a hot-headed civilian who causes many deaths for disobeying military orders. Totally unsympathetic character, even if he redeems himself at the end.
Burning (WELL GO BD) 2018. Tantalizing South Korean film that peels like an onion. A triangle that is never resolved. How much is real or imagined...mysteries are solved, or are they...An examination of class, economics, genetics, psychological imbalances, reality vs. fiction.
Yes, "The Long Voyage Home" is now one of my favorite Ford Films. It wasn't always that way as I thought it was just okay in my youth. However, as a mature adult now;), I'm able to see the brilliant film-making in this movie. A great movie with some great actors, dialogue, cinematography and direction.

As to "The Fighting Seabees", Wayne's character isn't all unsympathetic to me, but I can see why others would feel that way. I've seen this movie many times as it played on NYC stations quite a lot. I, too have it on Blu-ray and iTunes HD.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I watched the Warner Archive Blu-ray disc of Pete Kelly's Blues last night. I've always loved this film and every time I watch it I feel the same regret that Jack Webb did not direct more movies. The film's story is very slight and the movie's strength comes from its sense of atmosphere and the excellent performances of the actors, Peggy Lee in particular.

Pete Kelly's Blues was one of the very first Warner Archive Blu-ray discs and is absolutely superb. It was this disc that alerted me to their business strategy: release films where the elements don't need much work.
Yeah, Webb was too busy with his TV empire to direct more films.

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
A few months ago, Peg and I watched one of our favorite DVDs--a Hallmark Movie presentation called To Dance with the White Dog starring Jessica Tandy & Hume Cronyn. This reminded me that I had never seen the Tandy/Cronyn Hallmark movie Foxfire.

So, I ordered a used copy from a 3rd party seller on Amazon.

We watched it tonight. What a terrific (slow) little film with heartfelt performances. Jessica Tandy is sooooo good. It was shot on location in North Carolina and Georgia. Beautiful locations (even if 4:3 scatchy SD).

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Matt Hough
If I'm remembering correctly, Jessica Tandy won both the Tony and the Emmy for her performance in Foxfire on the stage and in the TV-film.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was back at the TCM app this afternoon and watched Disraeli for the first time in probably five decades. It's definitely a curio now rather than a fine film, but it was nice seeing it again after such a long, long time.

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I was back at the TCM app this afternoon and watched Disraeli for the first time in probably five decades. It's definitely a curio now rather than a fine film, but it was nice seeing it again after such a long, long time.
I first watched Disraeli in the late '50s (TV). I have watched it several times since and I agree with you. Joan Bennett is so, so young in this. Did you watch Arliss in his other Oscar-nominated role that year, The Green Goddess?

Dave Moritz

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Dave Moritz
March 1st, 2020 Sunday

The Patriot
4K UHD Blu-ray / HDR10
Native 4K
Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

The Patriot.jpg

I used to have the Super Bit DVD of The Patriot in Dolby & DTS but I must have gotten rid of it even though I meant to keep it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toronto Argonauts

dana martin

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Dana Martin
upload_2020-3-1_20-5-10.jpeg
upload_2020-3-1_20-6-49.jpeg
upload_2020-3-1_20-8-12.jpeg
upload_2020-3-1_20-8-48.jpeg
upload_2020-3-1_20-9-29.jpeg
upload_2020-3-1_20-10-9.jpeg
upload_2020-3-1_20-10-42.jpeg
upload_2020-3-1_20-11-19.jpeg
upload_2020-3-1_20-12-7.jpeg
upload_2020-3-1_20-12-50.jpeg
upload_2020-3-1_20-13-40.jpeg
upload_2020-3-1_20-14-17.jpeg

over the last week, took a little longer that i thought to burn through the whole 48 films,

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Toronto Argonauts

Second Unit
Reaction score
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
I dusted this off from my old DVD collection.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Matt Hough
I first watched Disraeli in the late '50s (TV). I have watched it several times since and I agree with you. Joan Bennett is so, so young in this. Did you watch Arliss in his other Oscar-nominated role that year, The Green Goddess?
I have seen it, but, again, not in a very long time.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topreplay