What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (3 Viewers)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
3QBmHYnFxmfl938vxoeiyB7WvEtoNdHyESHByFR_lmM_k4G-jUfE1wTPe2aNFCRQ30y9Vmgg1jtL4jEtiH1Pmwra1l4k2whn8GNB5RRUA-aYqi1GGGrBDgfKvmFead_h32HhoVae1NwMyOxZaY8

Watched this last night. Really enjoy the Youngson compilaton films, my favorite being "Days of Thrills and Laughter". Would be nice to see these remastered but at least we have the restored L&H movies coming out in June.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was busy doing stuff last night, but glanced over at my DVR during the evening only to notice it wasn't recording. I don't know why it wasn't, but I'll spend at least part of today watching the shows On Demand that didn't get recorded last night. A real bummer.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Sea around Us (TCM app) 1953 AA winner for Best Doc. Irwin Allen's film is made up of beautiful stock footage and is short of real scientific lore.
Say Amen, Somebody (TCM app) 1983. Really engrossing documentary about a subject matter that held absolutely no interest for me: gospel music. It profiles the work of Dr. Thomas A. Dorsey and singer Willie May Ford Smith among others. This is a classic of its genre. The 4K restoration is beautiful indeed.
Close Enemies (Netflix HD) 2018. Nominated for Best Film at the Venice Film Festival. French film about childhood friends (we glean this as we view the film unfold during its 48 hours time span) who take different paths in life (gangs/drugs; law enforcement). Yes, Manhattan Melodrama cliche, except it's not. Powerful performances, suspenseful turns and cruel twists of fate. Very good film.
The Major and the Minor (Arrow Academy BD) 1942. Billy Wilder's directorial debut, and what a debut! Delightful, charming, etc. It just verges, but pulls back in time, on the tasteless. And Diana Lynn is, as always, a scene stealer.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was right: my DVR did malfunction last night meaning I had four programs I needed to watch on streaming WITH commercials today. I know: first world problems, but when you've been watching TV pretty much non-stop for years without having to watch those repetitive commercials, one does get spoiled.

It was hard to enjoy the programs knowing they were going to be interrupted every 8-12 minutes with another spate of ads.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It was hard to enjoy the programs knowing they were going to be interrupted every 8-12 minutes with another spate of ads.

I find myself ether avoiding those stations most of the time or I will DVR the program and skip though the commercials.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched Easy To Love, a late Esther Williams movie. Although I enjoyed the film, there's so much wrong with it, and much that could have been improved very easily. The character played by Van Johnson is so arrogant and selfish it makes no sense that the girl would fall for him. The songs were good and Tony Martin sang them well. I smiled at the Cyd Charisse cameo at the end.

I waiting for The Vampire Lovers, Ulzana's Raid, The Molly Maguires and Beau Brummel to arrive. If none turn up today, I'll probably watch a crime film tonight.

UPDATE: The Vampire Lovers and Ulzana's Raid have now arrived so I'll watch one of them tonight.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The (Silent) War (Netflix HD) 2019. Spanish film based on a graphic novel. 1944. A group of Spanish rebels cross the French border in an effort to overthrow the Fascist Franco government. Spaghetti Western tropes abound. Some plot threads are unexplained and baffling (a female Russian sniper working for the Fascists?). Middling.
The Frontier (Kino BD) 2015. Pulp, drive-in fare done beautifully. Cross, double-cross, triple-cross. Bad guys behaving badly sometime in the '70s. In a lonely Route 66 diner/motel. Luridly enjoyable.
Eye for an Eye (Netflix HD) 2019. Spanish film about a drug lord on his last legs who winds up in a nursing home where one of the lead nurses exacts his revenge upon him. Twists and turns as the plot thickens and one eye plucks out the other.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm glad to hear that, since despite the dozen times it's been adapted, none of them is very good. Well, except Clueless. ;)
I do have one huge criticism: the casting of Mr. Knightley. The actor is far too young. The character is supposed to be older than Emma's brother-in-law. He didn't look it.
The novel is still unbeatable.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I do have one huge criticism: the casting of Mr. Knightley. The actor is far too young. The character is supposed to be older than Emma's brother-in-law. He didn't look it.
The novel is still unbeatable.
He's 13 years older than Anna Taylor-Joy who plays Emma, so he can't be too far off.

It's like I've been watching Gilmore Girls and was bothered that I thought Jared Padalecki was too old to play Rory's boyfriend. Come to find he's actually younger than Alexis Bledel.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
He's 13 years older than Anna Taylor-Joy who plays Emma, so he can't be too far off.

It's like I've been watching Gilmore Girls and was bothered that I thought Jared Padalecki was too old to play Rory's boyfriend. Come to find he's actually younger than Alexis Bledel.
I stand corrected.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
The Raven (1963) - After a few days of stress from the ongoing health crisis, we were in the mood for some goofy fun. This Roger Corman movie delivers. Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, and Boris Karloff are all great poking fun at the genre and at themselves. It's not a movie I care to watch very often, but there are certain times when it is just what is needed.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
The Raven (1963) - After a few days of stress from the ongoing health crisis, we were in the mood for some goofy fun. This Roger Corman movie delivers. Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, and Boris Karloff are all great poking fun at the genre and at themselves. It's not a movie I care to watch very often, but there are certain times when it is just what is needed.
I like watching it just to see Jack Nicholson before he was cool. Maybe there still is hope for me.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Winter Olympics Innsbruck 1976 (Criterion BD) Using a novel approach, the director uses actor James Coburn to guide us through the events and, sometimes, the winners. We get more of Coburn than anything else. We learn little of the winners, see little of the competitions...but it's beautifully shot in 2.35 Fujicolor. I found it oddly unsatisfactory.
Summer Olympics Montreal 1976 (Criterion BD) The order of events and the editing follows no logical sense. However, this is the first time I see the Puerto Rican flag displayed many, many times, but nary an athlete from the island is ever shown. Once again, many winners aren't shown nor identified, or just slightly acknowledged. This is the year that Bruce Jenner won the Decathlon and Nadia Comenici burst into the international stage.
And after all these sporting events, what does one do? Take refuge in a '40s Fox Technicolor musical:
Three Little Girls in Blue (TCM app) 1946. A remake of Three Blind Mice. This pleasant musical used to be in Technicolor. But let me assure you, this is a very good imitation of it. Two things lift this film from being a throwaway piece: it's Celeste Holm's film debut, and she steals every scene she's in. She even gets a song that's very reminiscent of her "I Cain't Say No" from her role in B'way's "Oklahoma!". The other saving grace is the fantasy musical number staged for Vera-Ellen using the song "You Make Me Feel so Young," made popular by the likes of Sinatra. The number is quite impressive; Vera-Ellen is fantastic in it; and the song is a classic. That's enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks