What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Toronto Argonauts

Supporting Actor
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
This was an excellent movie based on a true story.

th

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A couple of months ago, I bought the HD stream of Darling Lili on iTunes, and tonight I finally got around to watching it. This is the complete theatrical version at 2 hrs. 22 minutes, quite a bit longer than the Director's Cut which has been a DVD mainstay for years. I enjoyed seeing the whole thing again though I do think with all the mishmash of elements (slapstick tomfoolery, spy hijinks, musical numbers, romance, World War I aerial combat) in this movie, Edwards could have sweated out a little bit from each of pieces and had better flow to the film than there is in the Director's Cut which seems choppy to me.

The transfer looked beautiful for the most part though some of the scenes did have some telltale dust specks likely from neglect being pieces that were chopped out possibly and then put back in for this longer version.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
March 7th, 2020 Saturday

The Hunt For Red October
Native 4K
4K UHD Blu-ray / Dolby Vision
5.1 Dolby True HD

Going to do some research but there where a issue with the video that would blank out and come back immediately with no drop in sound. This would happen many times throughout the movie with a few times it did it two to three times in a row. The sound never dropped out and the sound actually was very good as was the surround mix. Anyone with this new 4K transfer experience very short blackouts in picture? I have not had this issue with any other title regardless of format!

Hunt For Red October DVDs.jpg
20200307_154708a.jpg

Toronto Argonauts

Supporting Actor
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
March 7th, 2020 Saturday

The Hunt For Red October
Native 4K
5.1 Dolby True HD

Going to do some research but there where a issue with the video that would blank out and come back immediately with no drop in sound. This would happen many times throughout the movie with a few times it did it two to three times in a row. The sound never dropped out and the sound actually was very good as was the surround mix. Anyone with this new 4K transfer experience very short blackouts in picture? I have not had this issue with any other title regardless of format!

View attachment 69429 View attachment 69430
Hi Dave I have The Hunt for Red October in the Jack Ryan collection I don't recall any problems with it. I'm sure it's from the same 4K transfer. If I get a chance I will watch it tonight.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Am going to play the disc again and try the digital version via apple tv. But it was the weirdest thing that I was getting video drop out throughout the movie. Not aware of any new updates on the player or tv that would cause this and I have watched a number of Dolby Vision titles and this was the first issue which may have nothing to do with DV.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Adventures of Robert Macaire (Potemkine PAL DVD) 1925. Clocking at 200 minutes PAL speed, this picaresque epic with Dickensian coincidences and occasional sentimentalism is ably directed by Jean Epstein. Filmed mostly on location with some studio work for amazing interiors, the movie is always engaging as it follows the adventures of the titular rogue and his companion over a period of 17 years of (mis)fortunes. Macaire is a well-known highwayman in his native France, referenced in Children of Paradise. All's well that ends well. The film flows well and never feels that long.
Letter from an Unknown Woman (Olive Signature BD) 1948. No matter how often I watch this film, there's only one word for it: Sublime. Great transfer. Get this if you don't already have it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
March 8th, 2020 Sunday

The Hunt For Red October
Native 4K
5.1 Dolby True HD to Auro 2D 7.1

the-hunt-for-red-october-movie-poster-1990-1020196499.jpg

Midway
Upscaled to 4K
Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

Midway 01.jpg

Tomorrows movie will be Friday The 13th Part 3 (HD Digital via 4K Apple TV)
Tuesday: How The West Was Won
Wednesday: Collateral Damage HD Digital
Star Wars 1977 Theatrical

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I had another viewing of Violent Saturday yesterday. I love this film and I love the Blu-ray disc.

Today I'll probably watch Circus World which I haven't seen for some time. I remember being very pleased with the Blu-ray disc. The film has three of my all-time favorite movie stars: John Wayne Rita Hayworth and Claudia Cardinale.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peg and I watched:

casanova-brown-movie-poster.jpg

To us, this is one of the worst movies we've ever seen. The writing was bad. It didn't make any sense. The character's motivations were indecipherable. The performances were not great. It dragged. It wasn't funny. It wasn't romantic. We both readily agreed we will never want to spend time with it again.

This was a head scratcher for us.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
To cleanse the taste of Casanova Brown from our palate, Peg and I watched this DVD tonight:

51P%2Bz2mNJKL._SX355_.jpg

And it failed in its mission. :D

It is the story of the life of Norman Vincent Peale. For those who don't know, he wrote the huge best-seller The Power of Positive Thinking and founded Guideposts Magazine. The movie was based on a biography of Peale's life (which I've read) titled Minister to Millions and written by Arthur Gordon.

Well, Peg works for Guideposts. So I'm very familiar with Peale's story. This film is a classic case of "Hollywood's version" of telling someone's story...as it bore very little resemblance to the truth or to the core story of Peale's life. But, worse than that, it was bad storytelling. A dry, lifeless representation of bits of Peale's life from childhood to adult success. Even the fictionalized bits were pretty bad.

Oh well.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Great Ziegfeld (VUDU HDX stream) 1936. Not the Roadshow version since it lacks the overture, intermission and exit music. I hadn't seen this in decades and had always disparaged it a bit considering that '36 had many worthier films. Still, it has many virtues: the 3 leads are impeccable, particularly Rainer and Powell who have more to do than Loy. The centerpiece musical number is indeed magnificent. It's just too bad that the source of the print is so ragged.
Onward (DCP 3D) 2020. It's OK, good 3D.
Siren of the Tropics (TCM app) 1927. Josephine Baker's film debut. Silent feature from France; Luis Bunuel is credited as assistant director. Baker is shown dancing; half-naked in several sequences (not tawdry); and proves to be a capable actress. It has more than curiosity value.
Holiday 1938; Holiday 1930 (Criterion BD) Watched the 2 film adaptations back-to-back in that order. The Cukor is adroitly directed and the script is very witty. It's also blessed with Cary Grant and Lew Ayres. The earlier version hews more closely to the play and is blessed with Harding and Astor.
Emma. (DCP) 2020. Entertaining version of the Austen novel. It's quite well made and acted.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Charade_se-e1382764176385.jpg

Hadn't seen this since it was released. Enjoyed it very much but somehow got the feeling that the author had different actors in mind when he wrote it. At the end of the day both Grant and Hepburn gave great performances as would be expected.
Truly one of my all-time favorite mysteries. I never tire of watching it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Emma (DCP) 2020. Entertaining version of the Austen novel. It's quite well made and acted.
I'm glad to hear that, since despite the dozen times it's been adapted, none of them is very good. Well, except Clueless. ;)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched Hue And Cry, a British film with children as central characters set in an immediately post war London with lots of bomb sites as backdrops.

Right now I'm in the mood for an Esther Williams film, and if that continues I'll watch one tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks